Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 04:17:45 am

Author Topic: How neccesary is it to attend all lecture?  (Read 8390 times)  Share 

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Re: How neccesary is it to attend all lecture?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »
Thanks:) Well I'm still going to be attending at least 2\3 of my classes so I'm pretty confident I'll be ok now, especially since it's a really popular subject so it shouldn't be too difficult to find the righ resources. Thanks :)

ps. how far are you from UoM? How long did it take you to commute, because that's my main worry
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

squance

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:27:15 pm »
It depends on the lecturer.
Some put up the whole week's slides on the weekend before the lectures, some put it 1 hour before the lectures and some put them days after the actual lecture :P

For some subjects, they have a bound book with the whole semester's lecture slides in it.

how many lecturers at uom are lazy enough to have it up after the lecture?
like just 1 or 2 or a lot?

To be quite honest. I have no idea.

For the lecturers I've had so far, we usually have the slides before hand because we have to annotate them.

Thanks:) Well I'm still going to be attending at least 2\3 of my classes so I'm pretty confident I'll be ok now, especially since it's a really popular subject so it shouldn't be too difficult to find the righ resources. Thanks :)

ps. how far are you from UoM? How long did it take you to commute, because that's my main worry

It took me about 30 mins to get to UoM from my school and around 40 mins back to my suburb.

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 10:33:14 pm »
I was under the impression that I was going to be able to have both lectures on the one day, but it would appear that is impossible. I've heard people say that since lectures are podcasted, it's not entirely neccesary to attend all of them. Do you think I'd be able to do the whole program rarely attending one of the streams of lectures?

With uni I attended probably 95% of my lectures since you get to make friends and it's just easier to go instead of downloading podcasts. Thursdays in second semester of uni I had physics pracs and a finance lecture, weeks that physics pracs weren't on, meant I would not go and just listen to the podcast, but sometimes I would get lazy or had other work to do and I never listened to the podcast.

Don't become some recluse who rarely attends uni as you won't enjoy uni.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 10:46:10 pm »
This is just UMEP, don't worry:P
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 03:22:48 am »
I was under the impression that I was going to be able to have both lectures on the one day, but it would appear that is impossible. I've heard people say that since lectures are podcasted, it's not entirely neccesary to attend all of them. Do you think I'd be able to do the whole program rarely attending one of the streams of lectures?

With uni I attended probably 95% of my lectures since you get to make friends and it's just easier to go instead of downloading podcasts. Thursdays in second semester of uni I had physics pracs and a finance lecture, weeks that physics pracs weren't on, meant I would not go and just listen to the podcast, but sometimes I would get lazy or had other work to do and I never listened to the podcast.

I think attending class in first year is more important for the friends bit. I rarely bother going to class, especially if there are lecture notes available online (in fact right now I'm skipping two weeks of class by going travelling around Europe instead ;) ).
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 07:04:05 am »

I think attending class in first year is more important for the friends bit. I rarely bother going to class, especially if there are lecture notes available online (in fact right now I'm skipping two weeks of class by going travelling around Europe instead ;) ).

wait, so u have classes now?
summer semester?
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 08:26:47 am »

wow that's amazing, don't you have to attend tutorials and the like?
o_o
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 09:43:06 am »
summer semester?
I'm supposed to be on exchange at the University of Copenhagen - their normal second semester starts mid-September and doesn't finish til the end of January.

o_o
Errr, yes, but they're not compulsory ;)
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 10:01:22 am »
summer semester?
I'm supposed to be on exchange at the University of Copenhagen - their normal second semester starts mid-September and doesn't finish til the end of January.

o_o

is it true a portion of ur overall mark for a subject includes attendance (like 10%) ?
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 10:10:57 am »
Depends very much on the subject. Some of my subjects in first year were like that (linguistics, maths, physics), but none afterwards have been.
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 11:07:28 pm »
It's pretty much crucial to attend every lecture for maths, but there's usually only 2 hours a week for that, so you have to make it count. Not sure about other subjects.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 11:09:55 pm »
summer semester?

o_o

'supposed'? what do you mean supposed? are you wagging your exchange!? -_-
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 02:15:04 am »
summer semester?

o_o

'supposed'? what do you mean supposed? are you wagging your exchange!? -_-
Hey, I went to a couple of classes! Back in September...
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 04:26:12 pm »
^ haha.

how is kobenhavn going? can you speak danish :P?

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 10:28:53 pm »
Yeah, but I already spoke Danish ;) I lived in Copenhagen for a few years when I was a teenager.
I'm in Krakow with some friends right now though, then off to Budapest tomorrow...
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012