Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 10:29:19 pm

Author Topic: How neccesary is it to attend all lecture?  (Read 8398 times)  Share 

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
How neccesary is it to attend all lecture?
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:18:46 pm »
I was under the impression that I was going to be able to have both lectures on the one day, but it would appear that is impossible. I've heard people say that since lectures are podcasted, it's not entirely neccesary to attend all of them. Do you think I'd be able to do the whole program rarely attending one of the streams of lectures?
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: How neccesary is it to attend all lecture?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »
I was under the impression that I was going to be able to have both lectures on the one day, but it would appear that is impossible. I've heard people say that since lectures are podcasted, it's not entirely neccesary to attend all of them. Do you think I'd be able to do the whole program rarely attending one of the streams of lectures?

its usually up to the individual
if ur happy with using the podcasts and confident enough that u dont feel u need to ask the lecturer a question then dont show up, nobody really cares at uni :)
attendance isnt even recorded at lectures so the uni itself wont care either
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »
^ not all lectures are podcasts, its up to the lecture themselves.
when i was considering doing uni philosophy the lecturer i would have for one semester had wasn't going to upload any of the podcasts. so i would have had to go.
so find out first!
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:56:29 pm »
^ not all lectures are podcasts, its up to the lecture themselves.
when i was considering doing uni philosophy the lecturer i would have for one semester had wasn't going to upload any of the podcasts. so i would have had to go.
so find out first!

+1
at least go to the 1st one
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
What if I'm dong a subject with four different streams? Surely one would wish to podcast it?
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »
What if I'm dong a subject with four different streams? Surely one would wish to podcast it?

yeah you would imagine so :p

also, i spoke to the psychology lecturer about listening to the lectures at home since i can't be going to the uni too many times a week (it's 3 times a week) and he said its not recommended as they usually show slides on the screen and talk about that to explain something , and the podcast may not make sense because you can't see what is happening.
i decided not to even apply to UMEP courses because of the 2-3 times per week class as i wouldn't want to do miss lectures due to this as its more difficult to learn.

however i've heard from someone on this forum who went to less of the psych lectures for the last term or maybe semester and still got the 5.5 increment, so it's possible i guess..
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »
wait 2~3 times per week?
my friend only went 1 day per week when he did MUEP

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:25:35 pm »
wait 2~3 times per week?
my friend only went 1 day per week when he did MUEP

that's monash uni, we are talking about umep here - most of them are 2~3 times a week because you actually attend tutorials and lectures with uni students.

whereas i think all monash's ones are enhancement centres once per week (or distance).

squance

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »

however i've heard from someone on this forum who went to less of the psych lectures for the last term or maybe semester and still got the 5.5 increment, so it's possible i guess..

THAT WAS ME :P

And I only got 5.0 (averaged 71 both semesters :O)

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:05 pm »

THAT WAS ME :P

And I only got 5.0 (averaged 71 both semesters :O)

haha i was gonna say your name but i wasn't sure.. ahh 5.0 not too different, only 10% average less :P

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:40:00 pm »
Well, TinyApple, how do you rate the importance of lectures if I go to all tutorials and all of one kind of lectures and occasionally go to the other lecture. Keep in mind that I'm pretty good at being self taught. I got a 38 in methods and 43 in politics with very little help from my respective teachers (I'm not tryin to boast, I just had really incompetent teachers and had to make do.)

squance

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 09:54:52 pm »
To be quite honest, I think lectures are somewhat useless (thats because half of the time Im either not paying attention or asleep). :P

I learnt better from reading the textbook and reading the lecture slides.
I did UMEP Psych and it required me to go to lectures 3 days a week (1 hour per day). I attended all lectures in semester 1 and it was all too much for me. Hence in semester 2, I rarely attended any of the lectures.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:00 pm »
To be quite honest, I think lectures are somewhat useless (thats because half of the time Im either not paying attention or asleep). :P

I learnt better from reading the textbook and reading the lecture slides.
I did UMEP Psych and it required me to go to lectures 3 days a week (1 hour per day). I attended all lectures in semester 1 and it was all too much for me. Hence in semester 2, I rarely attended any of the lectures.

usually how long before the lecture are the slides availiable?

squance

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 10:14:19 pm »
It depends on the lecturer.
Some put up the whole week's slides on the weekend before the lectures, some put it 1 hour before the lectures and some put them days after the actual lecture :P

For some subjects, they have a bound book with the whole semester's lecture slides in it.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:18 pm »
It depends on the lecturer.
Some put up the whole week's slides on the weekend before the lectures, some put it 1 hour before the lectures and some put them days after the actual lecture :P

For some subjects, they have a bound book with the whole semester's lecture slides in it.

how many lecturers at uom are lazy enough to have it up after the lecture?
like just 1 or 2 or a lot?