Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 09:34:57 pm

Author Topic: Doing it write this week  (Read 4729 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Doing it write this week
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:46 pm »
+2
Ah, northern India, nice! Have only been to Delhi of those places, and that was in passing to elsewhere.  Mostly Kolkata :)

That sounds like a fascinating article!

It's actually a small regret of mine that I don't get to go to Kolkata. I really hoped I could find a tour that went through there. Alas, I will definitely make it there another time.

This week I'm writing about making ethical decisions when it comes to our cup of Joe. If you have anything to say about this I'm keen to know! Otherwise, hopefully it'll be published next week.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 08:14:42 am »
+8
When AN gives you the warning that this hasn't been posted in in 30 days and you should reconsider :'(

I wrote it in my diary that today I HAD to update my accountability, and you know, hold myself accountable.

Fortunately I have lots to share, I've just been el-slacko with updating it here.

So, I wrote for Junkee about making more ethical decisions surrounding your coffee drinking.
I learned about some things that I couldn't really explore more in this article, but I found that learning about shade cover in areas we grow coffee is really important. Basically the demand for coffee has intensified and we've cleared land to make room for more production. But, as we've cleared the land we've destroyed the canopies of flora that are so important for wildlife and quality of the coffee. Although I haven't put it to the test, shade-covered coffee is supposed to be far nicer. But far more importantly, the canopies in these very delicate ecosystems are essential for endangered bird life. So I wrote about the certification scheme you can check for in the article. I had no idea that the coffee I drink was coming from drastically cleared land that was once home to endangered wild life.

I also wrote my first piece for Impakter. It's about education in Syria and how the need for quality education amongst this generation is incredibly important. Tomorrow, March 15, the Syrian civil war officially enters its eighth year. That's the entire length of a young person's primary or high school career spent in civil conflict. Anyway - have a read if you'd like to know more about the complexities.

Here's another article I wrote for Junkee at the end of last year about the problematic "necessity" of unpaid internships. It's not something I've written in the most recent times, but I haven't yet shared it here and would like to in case it interests anyone.

I'm writing an essay about reading essays (lol) tomorrow for a uni publication. Will be held accountable for this!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:17:41 am by elysepopplewell »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 12:08:48 pm »
+3
This week I wrote about why essays are my favourite genre of books. It'll be online on The Comma (UTS Communications site) soon!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 10:38:54 am »
+5
Accountability:

I wrote up the key findings of the Mexico Peace Index at work to appear on the website and be translated into Spanish. That will come out April 10, so I'll post it then :)

Also, the Comma post hasn't yet been posted online. Going to follow it up soon..

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 04:39:56 pm »
+6
This week I wrote about why essays are my favourite genre of books. It'll be online on The Comma (UTS Communications site) soon!

Heeeeere it is. Short and sweet. Fun to write.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 10:27:27 am »
+7
I come for accountability.

I wrote this landing page for the Mexico Peace Index we released at work.

And I wrote this piece on peace (lol) about the Positive Peace framework.

And I have another piece (on travel!) coming in the next week.

On the train this morning I was reflecting and I've realised so early in the year I've made big strides towards a goal I've had for many years, to publish more writing. So I feel really stoked about this. It's nice.