Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 04:27:45 am

Author Topic: Nelson PE textbook 3/4: What is relevant and what should I neglect?  (Read 13626 times)  Share 

ilovepeandbio

My school uses the Nelson textbook and I'm studying for my first SAC which is coming up in 10 days. We are being tested on Chapters 1, 2 and 3. I've finished making summary notes for Chapter 1 and 2 so far however I went back through my notes and started to wonder whether some parts of the TB were relevant or not.

If anyone has this TB could you please tell me if...

• I need to be able to describe how certain measures of PA work? Do I really have to know that a pedometer is worn on the hip? Or is it more important to be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each measure? Would that be enough for SACS and the exam?
  • the levels of evaluation are relevant? Do I need to know about formative, process, impact and outcome evaluation? (Page 6)
  • individual and environmental correlates are relevant to SACS and the exam? (Page 7) We never covered this in class so I am unsure)
  • I need to be able to remember the MET values for certain activities? (Page 11)
  • I need to know about SOPLAY, SOFIT and SOPARC? (Page 18-23)
  • I need to know about the Active Aus Survey, IPAQ and GPAQ? (page 14-15)
  • I have to familiarise myself with the social-ecological model used in the Trial of Activity for Adolesent Girls? (Page 66 - 67 and the first part of pg68)
    It seems like a big example but not essential knowledge to me.
  • Table 2.5 (PAge 53) is something essential to memorise or are they just examples? It is the suggested environmental and policy interventions for promoting PA.

I also purchased A+ PE notes written by the same authors.
Does this resource provide the base of what I would need to know for the exam or would I have to know all the additional theory covered in the Nelson textbook?

If anyone answers this I would be SO GRATEFUL. You'll be saving me a lot of space in my brain hehe and stress. Thanks in advance.

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Nelson PE textbook 3/4: What is relevant and what should I neglect?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:28:16 am »
+2
My school uses the Nelson textbook and I'm studying for my first SAC which is coming up in 10 days. We are being tested on Chapters 1, 2 and 3. I've finished making summary notes for Chapter 1 and 2 so far however I went back through my notes and started to wonder whether some parts of the TB were relevant or not.

If anyone has this TB could you please tell me if...

• I need to be able to describe how certain measures of PA work? Do I really have to know that a pedometer is worn on the hip? Or is it more important to be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each measure? Would that be enough for SACS and the exam?
  • the levels of evaluation are relevant? Do I need to know about formative, process, impact and outcome evaluation? (Page 6)
  • individual and environmental correlates are relevant to SACS and the exam? (Page 7) We never covered this in class so I am unsure)
  • I need to be able to remember the MET values for certain activities? (Page 11)
  • I need to know about SOPLAY, SOFIT and SOPARC? (Page 18-23)
  • I need to know about the Active Aus Survey, IPAQ and GPAQ? (page 14-15)
  • I have to familiarise myself with the social-ecological model used in the Trial of Activity for Adolesent Girls? (Page 66 - 67 and the first part of pg68)
    It seems like a big example but not essential knowledge to me.
  • Table 2.5 (PAge 53) is something essential to memorise or are they just examples? It is the suggested environmental and policy interventions for promoting PA.

I also purchased A+ PE notes written by the same authors.
Does this resource provide the base of what I would need to know for the exam or would I have to know all the additional theory covered in the Nelson textbook?

If anyone answers this I would be SO GRATEFUL. You'll be saving me a lot of space in my brain hehe and stress. Thanks in advance.

Hey another person doing PE, Yay!!

Answers to your questions.
1. The advanatges and disadvantages are a must for each objective and subjective measure. I would still know how they work and other stuff though as I have seen it come up in exams. For example that pedometers is only for weight bearing activities (this is almost always tested, usually in the form of a graph) and accelerometers are measured in g-force and there are uni-axial and tri-axial ones.

2. Page 6 - for the exam very highly unlikely you need to know but for your SAC maybe. Just based off my school, the teachers liked to test us on this small insignificant pieces of information. so yeah just know it briefly for your SAC

3. Know don't need to MET for activities just the ranges. Light intensity less than 3, moderate intensity between 3-6, high intensity 7+, sedentary behaviour 1-2

4. Yes, need to know SOFIT and SOPLAY. Need to know what each of these measures and what are the advanatges and disadvanatges of them. Let me know if you want more info on these.

5. Don't need to know these surveys apart from that they exist

6. No like you said its just an example. The big thin with the model is to be able to apply to unknown situations

7. These are just examples which I recommened knowing a few before the SAC and exam - not necessarily the ones in this table. By that I mean know an example to help increase physical activity at the individual, social, physical and policy level for the settings of school, community and work

The A+ notes book is good in that it summarieses the material really well, especially in good little tables. It depends how well you are confident with the material.I wouldn't recommend just using this book because it doesn't go into great detail in some areas, and this extra depth is oftern required in some exam questions. It also does have some pretty good questions to practice. I would also recommed checkpoints. Though it does have some of the past VCAA exam questions, unlike some other checkpoints good most of it is the authors own questions.

Hope this helps
Let me know if you have any further questions and/or require further clarification :)
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

ilovepeandbio

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:08:18 am »
Hey another person doing PE, Yay!!

Wow, that was really quick, thank you so much!

Yes, it's really interesting already and we haven't even started on the Energy systems yet. I can't wait!
 I'm just finding my way around the Nelson textbook, it's a fantastic resource however it provides a lot of information and I'm always wondering what is relevant and what is not!

4. Yes, need to know SOFIT and SOPLAY. Need to know what each of these measures and what are the advanatges and disadvanatges of them. Let me know if you want more info on these.

Yes please! The textbook and A+ notes hasn't really elaborated on this topic at all especially SOFIT :(

6. No like you said its just an example. The big thin with the model is to be able to apply to unknown situations

So I guess it's more important to be able to critque certain models?

By the way I actually do have more questions :S
Are the domains of PA inportant to know? It does not really appear in the A+ notes guide so once again I am skeptical. Should I buy another PE textbook to compare so that I can truly differentiate between what is essential and what is not?

For chapter 3 'Promoting PA' what is relevant? There seems to be a whole lot of initiatives for school, community and workplace settings. Are they examples or do I have to actually be able to explain what they are, and what their purpose was?

Thank you again!!!

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 01:24:50 am »
+2

Yes please! The textbook and A+ notes hasn't really elaborated on this topic at all especially SOFIT :(

SOPLAY
- Tells us information about how the surrounding man made and physical environment is being used for physical activity and how it can be better utilised to promote being more active
- advantage is that it covers all dimensions
-disadvanatge is that it usually requires an expert, can be costly, only about the equipment anf environment

SOFIT
- this is when an observer gains information during a class envrionment, they gain information about the context of the envrioment, student activity levels and the teachers behaviour towards activity

So I guess it's more important to be able to critque certain models?

Yes. Most of the time you will be given some made up program which you need to answer questions about. questions could be explain the model, could this program be effective, give examples of the levels that have been targeted, why is it better for a program to target mulitple levels etc.
Do as many questions on the model as you can.

Are the domains of PA inportant to know? It does not really appear in the A+ notes guide so once again I am skeptical. Should I buy another PE textbook to compare so that I can truly differentiate between what is essential and what is not?

Yeah just know what they are just in case - leisure time, occuptional, active transport and household chores
Nah dont buy another book. If you are unsure post a question on here and I'll answer. Or the best way to go is via the study design. For example domains of physical activity aren't in the study design but doesnt mean the words wont be used so it woul be nice to know what they are but it isn't necessary.
Just make sure you regular check the study design.
and yeah i agree, the melson book does have quite a bit of fluff in it.

For chapter 3 'Promoting PA' what is relevant? There seems to be a whole lot of initiatives for school, community and workplace settings. Are they examples or do I have to actually be able to explain what they are, and what their purpose was?

Thank you again!!!

For chapter 3, i would know briefly about the walking school bus, 10,000 steps and jump rope for heart program. Just know whats in the book. everything else isn't really needed (programs). Also you should know the role of vichealth.

Hope that makes sense :)
Ask more questions if you have them :)

ilovepeandbio

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:06:32 am »
SOPLAY
- Tells us information about how the surrounding man made and physical environment is being used for physical activity and how it can be better utilised to promote being more active
- advantage is that it covers all dimensions
-disadvanatge is that it usually requires an expert, can be costly, only about the equipment anf environment

SOFIT
- this is when an observer gains information during a class envrionment, they gain information about the context of the envrioment, student activity levels and the teachers behaviour towards activity

Wow! Thanks a lot, makes real good sense. You really are the ATAR notes PE genius!

Yeah just know what they are just in case - leisure time, occuptional, active transport and household chores
Nah dont buy another book. If you are unsure post a question on here and I'll answer. Or the best way to go is via the study design. For example domains of physical activity aren't in the study design but doesnt mean the words wont be used so it woul be nice to know what they are but it isn't necessary.
Just make sure you regular check the study design.
and yeah i agree, the melson book does have quite a bit of fluff in it.

So if something in the textbook is not listed in the SD does it mean that it cannot come up on the exam?

Thanks for all your help so far, I'll probably try to have Chapter 3 summarised really soon for sure and then I'll get to completing the Peak Perfomance questions!
I have checkpoints 2013 and it seems great. But should I use it during the year or save it till the end of the year?

DO you recommend any other resources for PE? Are there any other workbooks apart from Peak Perfomance. At my school we learn via powerpoints, class discussions and random quizzes. It's pretty good to me but I was wondering if i should do some worksheets to help consolidate concepts?

lala1911

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:30:52 am »
expected michak to have posted here so quickly, lol.

All I have to say to you is:
- Memorise all factors that influence people from a certain environment (e.g Individual is Age, Beliefs, Barriers, Gender, Self-efficacy, Employment Status, SES, Education Level and more). It will come in handy.. especially during the SAC.
- SETTINGS. You need to be able to know about implementing strategies for a certain settings such as Workplace, Community or School. This certain topic covered like 15/40 marks on my SAC, surprisingly.

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:42:15 am »
+1
Wow! Thanks a lot, makes real good sense. You really are the ATAR notes PE genius!

So if something in the textbook is not listed in the SD does it mean that it cannot come up on the exam?

Thanks for all your help so far, I'll probably try to have Chapter 3 summarised really soon for sure and then I'll get to completing the Peak Perfomance questions!
I have checkpoints 2013 and it seems great. But should I use it during the year or save it till the end of the year?

DO you recommend any other resources for PE? Are there any other workbooks apart from Peak Perfomance. At my school we learn via powerpoints, class discussions and random quizzes. It's pretty good to me but I was wondering if i should do some worksheets to help consolidate concepts?
I used checkpoints throughout the year along with the peak performance book. I did leave the exam though in the checkpoints book. Oh and I also used the a+ exam book which is brilliant.
I would recommend getting the atar notes pe book not so much for the content but the practice exams. They were quite challenging and some of the hardest ones I did. At the end if doing them I felt if I could do these exams and get most of it right I should be fine for the exam.
I just tried to do as many questions I could get my hands on throughout the yer which actually resulted in me doing exams quite early.

In regards to the study design it can sometimes be quite vague so if you are unsure ask your teacher or on here. :)

ilovepeandbio

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »
expected michak to have posted here so quickly, lol.

All I have to say to you is:
- Memorise all factors that influence people from a certain environment (e.g Individual is Age, Beliefs, Barriers, Gender, Self-efficacy, Employment Status, SES, Education Level and more). It will come in handy.. especially during the SAC.
- SETTINGS. You need to be able to know about implementing strategies for a certain settings such as Workplace, Community or School. This certain topic covered like 15/40 marks on my SAC, surprisingly.

haha that is so true :P michak is very knowledgeable :')

Good idea, I'll get to it now then. thanks! :]

I used checkpoints throughout the year along with the peak performance book. I did leave the exam though in the checkpoints book. Oh and I also used the a+ exam book which is brilliant.
I would recommend getting the atar notes pe book not so much for the content but the practice exams. They were quite challenging and some of the hardest ones I did. At the end if doing them I felt if I could do these exams and get most of it right I should be fine for the exam.
I just tried to do as many questions I could get my hands on throughout the yer which actually resulted in me doing exams quite early.

In regards to the study design it can sometimes be quite vague so if you are unsure ask your teacher or on here. :)

I guess I'll just do what you did, I'll buy some exams from Neap, ATAR notes and A+ when exam period rolls around!

By the way, what do you think about the Peak Perfomance Questions and suggested answers? Are they as valid as the answers you would find on the Assessment Report?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

lala1911

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:01:24 am »
BTW I've purchased the ATARNotes P.E book, I should be receiving it this week hopefully.. I'll tell you if it's worth it or not.

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 06:51:14 am »
haha that is so true :P michak is very knowledgeable :')

Good idea, I'll get to it now then. thanks! :]

I guess I'll just do what you did, I'll buy some exams from Neap, ATAR notes and A+ when exam period rolls around!

By the way, what do you think about the Peak Perfomance Questions and suggested answers? Are they as valid as the answers you would find on the Assessment Report?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Haha thanks I try my best :)
The peak performance book was actually quite good and I find it really helped me understand the concepts. It's also good because they varying degrees of difficult so if you can do the hardest questions you are doing well. However some of the questions were a bit stupid.

The atar notes book in regards to cogent is quite good but it's real value is in the exams. They where brilliant and some of the hardest I did. :)

ilovepeandbio

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:58:06 am »
BTW I've purchased the ATARNotes P.E book, I should be receiving it this week hopefully.. I'll tell you if it's worth it or not.

Thanks, by the way I can't wait till we get started on Energy systems and food fuels!! What are you currently up to in class?

Haha thanks I try my best :)
The peak performance book was actually quite good and I find it really helped me understand the concepts. It's also good because they varying degrees of difficult so if you can do the hardest questions you are doing well. However some of the questions were a bit stupid.

The atar notes book in regards to cogent is quite good but it's real value is in the exams. They where brilliant and some of the hardest I did. :)

Yes, actually the answers at the back of peak performance are so good that I'm going to insert snippets of them into my notes!
Thanks for all your advice so far Michak you've been so helpful. :]

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:00:56 am »
Thanks, by the way I can't wait till we get started on Energy systems and food fuels!! What are you currently up to in class?

Yes, actually the answers at the back of peak performance are so good that I'm going to insert snippets of them into my notes!
Thanks for all your advice so far Michak you've been so helpful. :]

we are almost finished aos1 then a week to prepare for our sac.
how about you??

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:22:14 am »
Ilovepeanbio and fishandchips if you have any questions about your upcoming sac post them here or pm me and I will happily reply :)

ilovepeandbio

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:43 pm »
we are almost finished aos1 then a week to prepare for our sac.
how about you??

At my school we are moving approximately at the same speed, we are currently discussing settings based approaches in class and the role of the government in promoting PA. So we are almost finished with AOS1! I can't wait for the day we get started on the energy systems.  My sac is on the 12th of March so it is about a week from today. Good luck!! :)

Ilovepeanbio and fishandchips if you have any questions about your upcoming sac post them here or pm me and I will happily reply :)

Hey michak! Yes, I do have some aching questions regarding a lot of the content in Ch 3 of the Nelson TB.

1. Is it necessary to remember all the government initiatives promoting PA on page 73? Should I just remember a few?

2. Also on page 74 do I need to know about the Be Active Australia framework for my upcoming sac and the end of year exam?

3. Page 76 is just a wall of text. I read it all and there seems to be a lot of info about the research Salmon conducted. Is it actually something crucial to remember for sacs and the exam?

4. In general there seems to be so much information regarding what research into the promotion of PA has found, is all this information useful or is it just supplementary to assist the understanding of the course? Is this important for the sacs and exams?

5. In general Chapter 3 has a lot of information about the initiatives used to promote PA. Is it essential to know these initiatives fo sacs and the exam?

THANK YOU SO MUCH MICHAK you are a life saver!

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:53:43 pm »

Hey michak! Yes, I do have some aching questions regarding a lot of the content in Ch 3 of the Nelson TB.

1. Is it necessary to remember all the government initiatives promoting PA on page 73? Should I just remember a few?

2. Also on page 74 do I need to know about the Be Active Australia framework for my upcoming sac and the end of year exam?

3. Page 76 is just a wall of text. I read it all and there seems to be a lot of info about the research Salmon conducted. Is it actually something crucial to remember for sacs and the exam?

4. In general there seems to be so much information regarding what research into the promotion of PA has found, is all this information useful or is it just supplementary to assist the understanding of the course? Is this important for the sacs and exams?

5. In general Chapter 3 has a lot of information about the initiatives used to promote PA. Is it essential to know these initiatives fo sacs and the exam?

THANK YOU SO MUCH MICHAK you are a life saver!

1. Nah dont have to remember them all. Just know briefly about the walking school bus, jump rope for heart and 10,000 steps. Most of the time a made up program is used of if an actually program is used info is given

2. Exam no, SAC maybe depends what your teacher is like. My teachers thought they were smart and gives us questions on the most insignificant things that would nver be in  the exam - this is one of the things they would probs address. Just my school though. Dont go overboard on it.

3. Explain more about page 76 - i dont have the book anymore. By the sounds of it no but give more detail please of what it is.

4. Supplementary material. May pop in the sac but doubt it

5. In regards to initiatives you need to kow the ones i mentioned in number 1. Also you need a couple of examples/initiatives on how to increas PA in schools, workplace and community. Know 2 or three for individual, social, physical and policy for each three settings
Example - workplace
Individual - brouchers about benefits of being active/side effects of being inactive
Social - walking meetins
Physical - install bike racks
Policy - people who ride to work can leave 30 minutes early than others

Let me know if you want more clarification :)