Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 11:10:40 pm

Author Topic: Choosing a major work...  (Read 1838 times)  Share 

Seanclair

• Adventurer
  • "I can, and I will"
  • Respect: +55
Choosing a major work...
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:09:41 pm »
Hi there!
I'm currently a year 11 student about to go into year 12 and I am undertaking history extension (of course). I've had a few meetings with my teacher, and I've been browsing the internet like crazy to try and prepare myself for this course as much as possible. I think I have a pretty solid understanding of what this subject entails and it sounds really exciting.
However, the major work I am not so sure about. I understand what's required as in what I have to do, but actually approaching it is what worries me because I feel like I lack the knowledge of what it should address. I guess I'm used to the standard assessment notification style briefing that tells us what our assessment must address.
I've read many different major works which all seem to centre around historiography, which I get, but I just don't know where I start looking. I don't know what event/ personality I should choose, and what my general ideas should revolve around.
I just need clarity as I want to start thinking about what I should do for my project. Hopefully someone can help me.
Thanks.
HSC 2018:
English Advanced
Studies of Religion 2
Ancient History
History Extension
Legal Studies
Geography

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Choosing a major work...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:18:31 pm »
+7
Hi there!
I'm currently a year 11 student about to go into year 12 and I am undertaking history extension (of course). I've had a few meetings with my teacher, and I've been browsing the internet like crazy to try and prepare myself for this course as much as possible. I think I have a pretty solid understanding of what this subject entails and it sounds really exciting.
However, the major work I am not so sure about. I understand what's required as in what I have to do, but actually approaching it is what worries me because I feel like I lack the knowledge of what it should address. I guess I'm used to the standard assessment notification style briefing that tells us what our assessment must address.
I've read many different major works which all seem to centre around historiography, which I get, but I just don't know where I start looking. I don't know what event/ personality I should choose, and what my general ideas should revolve around.
I just need clarity as I want to start thinking about what I should do for my project. Hopefully someone can help me.
Thanks.
Hey Seanclair!!

Congratulations for making one of the best HSC decisions ever, with picking up history extension ;) Can't recommend it more highly, had so much fun with it last year! This guide that I wrote may help to break down how to approach the history extension major work! You are correct that the major work MUST centre around historiography, not history. So that means what you want to be looking at is not what happened, but why we think what we think about what happened! You can definitely focus on the history of/about specific events or people, however don't feel like you have to! Last year my major work was on the legitimacy of hegelian maoist dialectical theory (the interpenetration of opposites) in explaining the current state of the historical discipline :) - not focused on a specific event/historical personality (I integrated the writings of Bill O'Reilly a lot, but he was more of a case study than a focus).

Have a read of the guide, and please let me know if you have any more questions!!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

j_asf

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Choosing a major work...
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 11:00:09 pm »
+3
Congrats on choosing history extension! Like susie said, it's a fantastic decision. I know you didn't ask, but trust me, it completely changes your worldview and helps you to become so much more critical of everything! In terms of the project, go with something you enjoy (obv), but something that you already have some kind of knowledge about :)