Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 07:52:24 am

Author Topic: Reasons why laws need to change  (Read 1430 times)  Share 

alanaca

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Reasons why laws need to change
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:19:05 pm »
Does anyone have any recent examples (not more than 5 years ago) for each of the reasons why laws need to change?
- Technological Advances
- Political Issues
- Significant Event
- Changes in Attitude/Society
- Changes to the Legal System

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: Reasons why laws need to change
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:37:48 pm »
+2
Does anyone have any recent examples (not more than 5 years ago) for each of the reasons why laws need to change?
- Technological Advances
- Political Issues
- Significant Event

Hi!

I also had a bit of trouble with this last year. While there are many different reasons why laws need to change, it is highly unlikely that you will have to provide more than 2 in a VCAA exam (at least with examples). There are definitely recent changes specified in the Justice and Outcomes textbook. However, I think a really great example to use would be this one: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-age-editorial/victorias-changes-to-laws-on-tracing-sperm-and-egg-donors-a-sensible-evolution-20170302-guowdh.html

This article outlines previous conditions, why the law needed to change, and how these changes benefit people today :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

Dragan_G

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Reasons why laws need to change
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:37:22 pm »
- Technological Advances
- Political Issues
- Significant Event

The easiest ones that I would use are changes in attitudes, where you can use same sex marriage as an example or changes in views regarding medicinal cannabis.

For technological changes, you can use examples such as new laws regarding smartphones (sexting etc.) and even drones and laws regarding the type that can be flown or where they can be flown.

As far as political issues, I guess you can use the example of dual citizenship as that is a current issue.

Significant event? Not quite sure what this references specifically, but I guess you may talk about recent terrorism within Australia and the military gaining more power and jurisdiction regarding terrorism calls. (I think this is due to the Lindt cafe incident with police).

With changes to the legal system, you may talk about recent increases in the funding for legal aid, to help assist with improving access to the legal system.

Hope this helps! I don't really think you need to know all of them or any specific reasons/examples but I suggest nailing and understanding at least two of them very well.