Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:16:08 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 759235 times)  Share 

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2370 on: December 04, 2018, 11:55:16 am »
+1
Thanks Galaxy. For some reason, when I did the question, I was looking at the example as well and accidently took the values given from the example instead of the question in the attachment LOL ;D. Anyway, thanks for the help. Without you, I wouldn't have realised the silly mistake I made.

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2371 on: December 04, 2018, 11:56:31 am »
+1
Thanks Galaxy. For some reason, when I did the question, I was looking at the example as well and accidently took the values given from the example instead of the question in the attachment LOL ;D. Anyway, thanks for the help. Without you, I wouldn't have realised the silly mistake I made.
Haha I do that all of the time...looks like you were on the right track anyway, so thats amazing!
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2372 on: December 04, 2018, 11:58:44 am »
+1
Yeah Thanks

Is the annual depreciation rate always in terms of per annum? Or does it depend on what Vn is defined for. For instance, if Vn was defined for the value of a loan after n months, would the annual depreciation rate be in terms of per month then?

Mod Edit: Post merge. Try not to post multiple times in a row - It clutters the feed and makes it harder for people to help you :) you can edit your previous message with 'Modify' :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:53:18 pm by jamonwindeyer »

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2373 on: December 04, 2018, 12:29:26 pm »
It should be annually - you just have to convert the months to years. Although the question should specify it.
Take this with a grain of salt, I've not done general maths since last year, might need to get this double checked.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:30:57 pm by lacitam »

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2374 on: December 05, 2018, 08:35:45 am »
Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me whether the solution in the book is correct because when I did it, I got a different answer. My answer was $3366.47. The answer given in the book is $14187.30. Question is in the attachment. It is in regards to Using a recurrence relation to analyse a reducing balance loan. 

Thanks

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2375 on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:49 am »
+1
Yeah that answer is wrong - the balance definitely shouldn’t be going up in a reducing balance loan.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2376 on: December 05, 2018, 08:46:32 am »
Yeah that answer is wrong - the balance definitely shouldn’t be going up in a reducing balance loan.

So is my answer correct?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #2377 on: December 05, 2018, 08:52:18 am »
+1

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2378 on: December 05, 2018, 08:55:41 am »
+1
Yep

Okay. Thanks for your response and help.  :)

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2379 on: December 06, 2018, 04:39:51 pm »
Hi Guys,

Need help with the questions in the attachment. Would really appreciate it if someone can help me to solve it. The quesiton is inregards to reducing balance loans with changing conditions.

Thanks

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #2380 on: December 06, 2018, 04:46:04 pm »
+4
Hi Guys,

Need help with the questions in the attachment. Would really appreciate it if someone can help me to solve it. The quesiton is inregards to reducing balance loans with changing conditions.

Thanks
What specifically are you stuck on? How are you trying to approach the question at the moment? You’ll learn more from it if you do as much of it as you can and then post your workings and thought process behind it up here rather than us explaining the whole thing.

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2381 on: December 06, 2018, 05:07:37 pm »
What specifically are you stuck on? How are you trying to approach the question at the moment? You’ll learn more from it if you do as much of it as you can and then post your workings and thought process behind it up here rather than us explaining the whole thing.

For instance, how to do part (b). When you do it, what is the answer you get for it?

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2382 on: December 06, 2018, 05:09:55 pm »
+1
For instance, how to do part (b). When you do it, what is the answer you get for it?
to work out the interest payed over the term of the loan, you need to calculate the amount that is payed in total (payments x years x compounding periods per year + downpayment --> 1384 x 30 x 12=498240) and then subtract the initial value ($179994.242...) of the loan from this (498240-179994.24=318245.75). So $318,245.75 in interest was payed.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:11:28 pm by galaxy21 »
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2383 on: December 06, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »
+6

I have already stated this to this particular user.

dream chaser, I am not trying to be rude here but this seems (from my perspective) like you're just wanting us to do your work for you. It is very important that you have a go at it yourself and show us what you have done so we can genuinely help you. If we just give you answers, you may be able to answer that question, but what about a different question on the same topic?

It will be much more beneficial to you if you take the time to attempt it first, as Further is a subject where mistakes are very common and hence what spreads students out on the distribution.

I am posting this as you have been posting quite a bit on here (and this is OK, we are more than willing to help you).. it's just that you need to show some effort too.

This is a PSA directed at all users who post questions in the Further board.. please actually try the question yourself or demonstrate you have at least had a think about it so we can target the misconceptions as well as provide you with the answer to move forward.

Again, I will repeat this because I don't want this post interpreted in the wrong way, it is fantastic that you all are posting questions... however please show some respect to the users who are voluntarily taking time out of their day to assist you by demonstrating effort in some way.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:17:04 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2384 on: December 06, 2018, 05:16:16 pm »
I have already stated this to this particular user.

dream chaser, I am not trying to be rude here but this seems (from my perspective) like you're just wanting us to do your work for you. It is very important that you have a go at it yourself and show us what you have done so we can genuinely help you. If we just give you answers, you may be able to answer that question, but what about a different question on the same topic?

It will be much more beneficial to you if you take the time to attempt it first, as Further is a subject where mistakes are very common and hence what spreads students out on the distribution.

I am posting this as you have been posting quite a bit on here (and this is OK, we are more than willing to help you).. it's just that you need to show some effort too.

This is a PSA directed at all users who post questions in the Further board.. please actually try the question yourself or demonstrate you have at least had a think about it so we can target the misconceptions as well as provide you with the answer to move forward.

Aaron, I have tried to attempt the question my self as well before I posted for help on Atar Notes. The answer I got was the same as Galaxies. However, in the book, they give a different answer so I am completely confused what is right and what is wrong.