Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 11:23:26 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 759308 times)  Share 

MAGGOT

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2415 on: January 16, 2019, 09:00:57 am »
+1
Need help with question c please!
https://imgur.com/a/VJvY0V2
I'm not sure whether the answer is 1407 or 1408 players. Here is my thinking: if you plug in the numbers into the equation, you get 1407.37488.

As soon as 1 year elapsed, there will be 1407.37488 players. So if you round it down to 1407 players, this means that 1 year has not passed yet. However if you round it up to 1408 players, 1 year has already elapsed.
My working out is a bit messy to comprehend, but hopefully you understand :P

Your thinking process is right and after 1407 players, 1 year hasn't elapsed so when you round up, 1408 players is the answer.

jnylle

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2416 on: January 21, 2019, 03:11:28 pm »
just came up with a helpful idea for my summary book, but was wondering what kind of excerise books we're alowed to bring into the year 12 exam... :(

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2417 on: January 21, 2019, 03:19:29 pm »
+1
just came up with a helpful idea for my summary book, but was wondering what kind of excerise books we're alowed to bring into the year 12 exam... :(
It can be basically anything as long as it is A4 and securely bound. You also can't have notebooks with perforated edges.

Quote from: VCAA
The bound reference must be in book format of A4 size or smaller when closed.
The number of pages is not specified.
Pages must be permanently bound and securely attached to the spine.
There must be a single horizontal or vertical spine.
The bound reference may be:
a textbook
a securely bound lecture pad
a permanently bound student-constructed set of notes without fold-outs
an exercise book.
The form of binding is not specified but it must be secure, and pages must not be readily detachable or designed to be removed. Binding can include cloth, glue, staple, spiral or comb binding.
(From https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vce/exams/authorisedmaterials.aspx#bound)
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

andreag

• Adventurer
« Reply #2418 on: January 21, 2019, 05:47:00 pm »
Would it be helpful to do every past exam on the VCAA website like all the way to 2002, for exam/sac revision even though most of them are not part of the study design? 

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2419 on: January 21, 2019, 06:56:07 pm »
+3
Would it be helpful to do every past exam on the VCAA website like all the way to 2002, for exam/sac revision even though most of them are not part of the study design? 
Probably better to do the parts that remain relevant. I know since 2014 (when I did Further), there have been a lot of changes. Typically I'd advise doing VCAA exams closer to exams, as these are the closest you're going to get to the real deal.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

andreag

• Adventurer
« Reply #2420 on: January 21, 2019, 07:13:32 pm »
Probably better to do the parts that remain relevant. I know since 2014 (when I did Further), there have been a lot of changes. Typically I'd advise doing VCAA exams closer to exams, as these are the closest you're going to get to the real deal.

So how would you go about studying for sacs? Just using the relevant VCAA past exams? Are there other resources that will help like study guides or topic tests (from atar notes, checkpoints etc)?

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2421 on: January 21, 2019, 07:27:48 pm »
+1
So how would you go about studying for sacs? Just using the relevant VCAA past exams? Are there other resources that will help like study guides or topic tests (from atar notes, checkpoints etc)?
There are so many extra questions out there to help study for SAC's. Your school might give you SAC's from previous years which are definitely good to use. I used NEAP questions before most of my exams, as well as A+ questions. I only got a copy of the ATAR Notes topic tests later in the year, but these also seemed like they would have been really good prep for SAC's. There are so many resources for SAC prep questions out there, and it's up to you whether or not you use VCAA past questions. If you are going to use the past exam questions, though, it could be a good idea to get a checkpoints book as it easily splits up the relevant questions from the past few years, but remember you will still need questions for when you are preparing for the actual exams.

Edit: also, I would leave the past exams from this current study design for exam prep as they are going to be the most accurate representation of the exam!
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2422 on: January 30, 2019, 12:46:58 pm »
Hi Guys,

Need help with this question regarding interest only loans.

Question: Jackson takes out an interest-only loan of $30 000 from the bank to buy a painting, which he hopes to resell at a profit in 12 months’ time. The interest on the loan is 9.25% per annum, compounding monthly, and he makes monthly payments on the loan. How much will he need to sell the painting for in order not to lose money?

My reasoning:
Monthly payment = 9.25/(12x100) x 30000 = $231.25

Total Payment for the Year = $231.25 x 12 = $2775

Sell Painting = $2775 + $30000 = $32775

My question is shouldn't the price of selling of the painting be more because ultimately, the person would have to give back that 30000 + interest or is it because it is an interest only loan that the answer I got is correct which gives the selling price of the painting.

Also, could someone please explain to me how annuities work.

All help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:02:57 pm by dream chaser »

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #2423 on: January 30, 2019, 01:21:04 pm »
My question is shouldn't the price of selling of the painting be more because ultimately, the person would have to give back that 30000 + interest or is it because it is an interest only loan that the answer I got is correct which gives the selling price of the painting.
Sometimes questions are framed in a way to make sense of the situation which can lead to confusion about what they're really asking for. In this case, you are just finding the amount that needs to be paid back on the loan. Although, I'm not sure if you're answer is right because it looks like you've calculated it assuming its simple interest rather than compound interest.

Also, could someone please explain to me how annuities work.
Is there any particular part of annuities you are having trouble with or just annuities in general?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:24:03 pm by MB_ »
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2424 on: February 03, 2019, 08:21:47 am »
Hi Guys,

Can someone please explain to me why the answer to this question is A. I understand that the answer would be A,B or C because it is compound interest due to the graph being geometric. What is the difference between compounding and credited and are they always the same time period(for eg. If it is compounding monthly, this means that it is credited monthly as well).

Also, not related to this question but can we get questions related to savings accounts and its amortisation table. Is it part of the study design? Because in the Further Maths Cambridge book, they only have ammortisation tables for reducing balance loans and annuities individually. Not both together.

The question is in one of the attachments of this post. An example of a savings account is also given in the other attachment if you are unclear what it is.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:56:43 am by dream chaser »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2425 on: February 03, 2019, 09:19:19 am »
+2
Hi Guys,

Can someone please explain to me why the answer to this question is A. I understand that the answer would be A,B or C because it is compound interest due to the graph being geometric. What is the difference between compounding and credited and are they always the same time period(for eg. If it is compounding monthly, this means that it is credited monthly as well).
Compounding is about how often the interest is calculated. e.g. if the interest is calculated monthly you'll get interest on previous months interest - so you'll end up with more money, whereas if it's calculated annually you'll only get interest on the base amount.
Credited refers to how often it gets paid into the account - this is normally the same as the compounding period but doesn't have to be.

The graph shows that money is only added to the account once a year. This means that it must be credited annually - the only option where this occurs is A.

Also, not related to this question but can we get questions related to savings accounts and its amortisation table. Is it part of the study design? Because in the Further Maths Cambridge book, they only have ammortisation tables for reducing balance loans and annuities individually. Not both together.

The question is in one of the attachments of this post. An example of a savings account is also given in the other attachment if you are unclear what it is.

Thanks
The study design says that you need to know about amortisation of a reducing balance loan or annuity and that you need to be able to interpret amortisation tables, so I'm pretty sure that question would still be in the study design (it would come under being able to interpret it).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2426 on: February 03, 2019, 09:24:01 am »
Compounding is about how often the interest is calculated. e.g. if the interest is calculated monthly you'll get interest on previous months interest - so you'll end up with more money, whereas if it's calculated annually you'll only get interest on the base amount.
Credited refers to how often it gets paid into the account - this is normally the same as the compounding period but doesn't have to be.

The graph shows that money is only added to the account once a year. This means that it must be credited annually - the only option where this occurs is A.
The study design says that you need to know about amortisation of a reducing balance loan or annuity and that you need to be able to interpret amortisation tables, so I'm pretty sure that question would still be in the study design (it would come under being able to interpret it).

Thank you PhoenixxFire. Really appreciate it.

marangutan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2427 on: February 05, 2019, 06:58:30 pm »
Anyone know if I'm doing this right? Thanks
https://imgur.com/a/rlr8Aer

f0od

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2428 on: February 05, 2019, 09:49:54 pm »
Hi! I've just started further maths this year, and I was wondering what does 'count' mean? For example, when I plot a histogram, I am asked to say what the 'count' is. Does it mean the values along the x axis that are part of a given interval?
Thanks so much!
class of 2019

ashwani1972

• Fresh Poster
  • Ash
« Reply #2429 on: February 06, 2019, 10:24:29 pm »
Hi

Could you please advise good practice books for Further Maths which is chapter wise and has answers.
Similarly is there any books available for previous year solved question papers.

Thnx