Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:14:11 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 759234 times)  Share 

Damoz.G

Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2013, 11:11:43 pm »
quick question: Are Itute practice exams meant to be a kick in the face, similar to the Kilbaha ones?
Another one: Is it best to revisit some previously done exams, or best if you find/do other ones and struggle with them?

Yeah, iTute ones are a bit hard, especially for Geometry and Trig.

Yes, you should revisit past exams that you have already done, and re-do the questions you got wrong. Anything that you're still getting wrong should be revised thoroughly and may be added to your bound reference.

lala1911

« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2013, 11:13:37 pm »
I haven't made and don't plan to make a bound reference. Is this an issue for me? I really, really don't think I need one.

Cort

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • A tragedy of two interpretations.
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2013, 11:15:15 pm »
Yeah, iTute ones are a bit hard, especially for Geometry and Trig.

Yes, you should revisit past exams that you have already done, and re-do the questions you got wrong. Anything that you're still getting wrong should be revised thoroughly and may be added to your bound reference.

Is it normal to struggle over their core questions as well? These Itute ones, golly they hurt my pride.

Redoing questions I've got wrong, thanks for the tips on that one. Thanks.
I actually have no idea what I'm saying or talking about.

Damoz.G

« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2013, 11:16:50 pm »
I haven't made and don't plan to make a bound reference. Is this an issue for me? I really, really don't think I need one.

For Methods, its not really a big thing to have a reference, because I never look at it. However, for Further you will probably need to look at it.

What three modules are you doing?

Damoz.G

« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »
+2
Is it normal to struggle over their core questions as well? These Itute ones, golly they hurt my pride.

Redoing questions I've got wrong, thanks for the tips on that one. Thanks.

I did Further last year, so its a bit hard to remember. I don't think Core was too bad. The Core questions are definitely challenging, but possible to do. :)

No worries. :) Personally, I wouldn't waste time on questions that you got wrong because of a simple error or mistake made. Try and concentrate on the questions you got wrong because you didn't understand them.

Doing Further (or any 3/4 subject) in Year 11, is very useful. Obviously aim to get the highest mark you can, but just remember its a learning experience. Take from it things that you can improve on in Year 12. A 35 for me wasn't what I was expecting, but I saw no point in dreading over it. Instead, I thought about the positive side of it, and learnt better ways of approaching and studying for exams. :) Sorry, this paragraph is off-topic from your questions, but I thought I'd mention it. :)

lala1911

« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2013, 11:25:13 pm »
For Methods, its not really a big thing to have a reference, because I never look at it. However, for Further you will probably need to look at it.

What three modules are you doing?
Geo/Trig, Number Patterns, Networks

Damoz.G

« Reply #291 on: October 13, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »
Geo/Trig, Number Patterns, Networks

Okay. Similar to me, instead of Number Patterns, I did Matrices.

At this stage, I don't want to say that you should MAKE your own Notes Book. I would have recommended this to be done on the holidays.

What I would suggest, is to print off some Notes, may be your teacher's ones if they do Notes on Powerpoint or something, or may be get some from the AN Resources page. Read through them and make sure you know what's where. You don't want to go to the exam and waste time flicking through your your bound refernce to find something. Make sure that you have all the rules for Geo and Trig, such as the sine rule, cos rule, etc.

If you don't want to do that, then may be have a notes book with all the important rules, and CAS Functions, and also put in examples of questions that you get wrong and may be think that you would need to refer to an example when doing another similar question.

At the end of the day, it comes down to how confident you are feeling as well. For me, I couldn't go in without a Notes Book, knowing how much content was in Geo and Trig.

After doing some Practice Exams so far, have you had to look at your Notes to find something?

lala1911

« Reply #292 on: October 14, 2013, 12:13:11 am »
Nope.. never had to look at my textbook. I know all the number patterns formulas and same with trig (unless there are more that I haven't encountered yet). With networks.. there aren't really any formulas its mainly just applying logic. Oh I know where everything is in the textbook.

I should be ok without a bound reference.

Yacoubb

« Reply #293 on: October 14, 2013, 12:20:12 am »
Nope.. never had to look at my textbook. I know all the number patterns formulas and same with trig (unless there are more that I haven't encountered yet). With networks.. there aren't really any formulas its mainly just applying logic. Oh I know where everything is in the textbook.

I should be ok without a bound reference.

Have you memorised the circle of data transformations for the core? I suggest take your textbook in just in case.

lala1911

« Reply #294 on: October 14, 2013, 12:38:56 am »
Yeah I can apply them all well. I'm definitely taking my textbook, of course, I'm just uncertain about bound references. I tried making one but it's really, really.. really..... untidy, I think I'd spend majority of the time looking for formulas than actually applying them, so I think I'll probably just stick to my textbook.

Damoz.G

« Reply #295 on: October 14, 2013, 07:19:52 am »
Okay then. If you're confident, then that's the main thing.

Taking in your textbook shouldn't be a problem.

sam.utute

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Connecturer.
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #296 on: October 14, 2013, 08:32:53 am »
Yeah I can apply them all well. I'm definitely taking my textbook, of course, I'm just uncertain about bound references. I tried making one but it's really, really.. really..... untidy, I think I'd spend majority of the time looking for formulas than actually applying them, so I think I'll probably just stick to my textbook.

My bound reference had a whole bunch of VCAA questions and solutions in it - I went through and saved all of the VCAA questions I got wrong and inserted them into my bound reference. When you've done about 100 practice exams, you'll realise that VCAA tends to ask questions in a similar format; and so having the difficult past VCAA questions in my reference was really reassuring.

lala1911

« Reply #297 on: October 14, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »
Thanks sam.utute

I'm on my iPad right now so this isn't going to work too well, but I'll try anyway. :)

So you have a pyramid of height 3m and this "smaller" pyramid of height 2m. That gives you a k value of 2/3. Cube that (for volume) and you'll get 8/27.

So 8/27 of the pyramid is not filled up with foam. That means that 19/27 of the pyramid has been filled with foam. (19/27)*100 = 70% to the nearest whole number.

Maybe you'll see this a bit better with a diagram too. I hope this helps, and I'm sorry that my help has been a bit limited.
My teacher said its 30%.. but I really don't think so, I (and another classmate) worked it out to be 70% too.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #298 on: October 14, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »
^ I think your teacher has accidentally done how much has been unfilled, given that their answer is the exact opposite of our one.

Also, in regards to bound references, I'm sure you're going to need your bell curve at some point. I don't know of a single person yet who hasn't needed to consult this at some stage during the exams.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Insa

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: LSC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #299 on: October 15, 2013, 01:15:59 am »
Hey guys,

Could anyone please help me? :D I am having trouble determining whether a graph is bipartite or not. For example in the question below. Thanks
2012/13 - VCE
2014 - Bachelor of Science @ UoM