Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:31:31 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 759478 times)  Share 

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #1380 on: February 12, 2016, 07:26:41 am »
Hi everyone,

My first SAC for further maths is in term 2, which is based off excel. We are given a long list of data and must plot a range of graphs and write an analysis.

If anyone has done a similar SAC and could provide me with some information regarding the particular types of graphs that must be plotted and any other skills required, it would be greatly appreciated since my knowledge of excel is very poor.

Thanks in advance  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

friedchromosome

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1381 on: February 29, 2016, 09:08:54 pm »
Does anyone have any practice sacs they could send over on the first couple of chapters of core?? Or know where I can get any? thanks

abbytennant

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Luther College
« Reply #1382 on: February 29, 2016, 09:51:31 pm »
First sac tomorrow on recursion!!
If anyone could help me with this one last question I'm stuck on that'd be great!

Geoff invests $18000 in an investment account. After 2 years the investment account contains $19282.05. If the account pays r% interest per annum compounded quarterly, find the value of r to one decimal place.

Thanks xx

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1383 on: February 29, 2016, 09:57:46 pm »
Does anyone have any practice sacs they could send over on the first couple of chapters of core?? Or know where I can get any? thanks

I'm the same! I would really appreciate some recent SACs if possible! Especially any tips about Excel in regards to the statistics SAC.

friedchromosome

• Adventurer
« Reply #1384 on: March 01, 2016, 07:23:26 pm »
+2
I'm the same! I would really appreciate some recent SACs if possible! Especially any tips about Excel in regards to the statistics SAC.
I find it extremely impossible that the whole state can't help a sister out  :o

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #1385 on: March 04, 2016, 09:07:31 pm »
+1
I find it extremely impossible that the whole state can't help a sister out  :o

We would if we could. Check up the Legal section of the rules for AN forums and you'll actually find out that practise SACs are actually school property and copyrighted. To avoid copyright issues and what not, we cannot supply practise SACs. 

I can suggest that you check up old VCAA exams, such as 2002-2005's Exam 2 for Excel-based SACs.
For Core, I would advise any Core modules in practise exams from other places besides VCAA, such as TSFX, TSSM, Heffernan and so forth. I would also recommend Checkpoints, StudyOn and (AN's own) ExamPro books as good resources to test your knowledge, as well as other Further textbooks. An alternative would be to make your own.
Hopefully those resources will keep you going for a while.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1386 on: March 06, 2016, 10:19:32 am »
We would if we could. Check up the Legal section of the rules for AN forums and you'll actually find out that practise SACs are actually school property and copyrighted. To avoid copyright issues and what not, we cannot supply practise SACs. 

I can suggest that you check up old VCAA exams, such as 2002-2005's Exam 2 for Excel-based SACs.
For Core, I would advise any Core modules in practise exams from other places besides VCAA, such as TSFX, TSSM, Heffernan and so forth. I would also recommend Checkpoints, StudyOn and (AN's own) ExamPro books as good resources to test your knowledge, as well as other Further textbooks. An alternative would be to make your own.
Hopefully those resources will keep you going for a while.

Thanks for the clarification, I was unaware of this until now.  :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1387 on: March 06, 2016, 02:21:14 pm »
+1
Thanks for the clarification, I was unaware of this until now.  :)

No problems. Feel free to ask about anything Further-related and we can see how far we can go, within the confines of AN's rules. .

In terms of Excel based SACs, it's basically on everything you've learnt: regression lines, all types of smoothing, all types of lines, measure of centre... the list goes on. Anything you can do on a graphic calculator is generally what's assessable - they generally would make you do it on there, because that's the one you'd be using in your exams, not Excel on computers.
VTAC Info Thread

Sammyboi

• Adventurer
  • School: Dromana Secondary
« Reply #1388 on: March 09, 2016, 06:49:38 pm »
What modules is everyone doing?

I'm doing:
1) Number Patterns
2) Graphs and Relations
3) Matrices

I think we are doing..

1) Martices
2) Networks
2015 [ Media ]
2016 [ English, Japanese, Further, Business Management, Studio Arts ]
2017 [ Business and Arts / Monash ]

matttz1994

• Fresh Poster
  • School: home
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1389 on: March 23, 2016, 09:26:21 pm »
Hey guys,
I don't understand how I got this question wrong. Aren't 0, 1, 2, 3 and '4 or more' categories for the number of DVD players? How are they numerical variables if there are only 5 things (categories!) that we can choose from? What's the difference between these requirements and a list of ordinal categorical requirements?
Cheers :)

P.S: link to image, in case you can't see the attachment: http://i.imgur.com/BJg4Oqv.png

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1390 on: March 23, 2016, 09:59:22 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
I don't understand how I got this question wrong. Aren't 0, 1, 2, 3 and '4 or more' categories for the number of DVD players? How are they numerical variables if there are only 5 things (categories!) that we can choose from? What's the difference between these requirements and a list of ordinal categorical requirements?
Cheers :)

P.S: link to image, in case you can't see the attachment: http://i.imgur.com/BJg4Oqv.png

Hey,

Sorry if this does't make any sense.

For this question, it would be discrete numerical variables because the number of DVD players are able to be counted in whole numbers; hence the small number of options. If they were continuous they would be measurable, yet this is not the case.

Thus, the 'number' of DVD players cannot be ordinal categorical variables because they are not representing a particular characteristic , rather just a number.

kingy123

• Adventurer
  • School: Camberwell Grammer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #1391 on: March 29, 2016, 03:25:01 pm »
Hey guys

I was just hoping someone would explain to me what the difference between seasonal and cyclic time series data is.

Seņor

« Reply #1392 on: March 29, 2016, 04:14:20 pm »
Hey guys

I was just hoping someone would explain to me what the difference between seasonal and cyclic time series data is.

The difference between seasonal and cyclic time series data is that with cyclic time series there is no regular periods between peeks.

avince

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #1393 on: April 01, 2016, 02:30:11 pm »
Hi guys,
Any general tips and revision strategies for recursion and financial modelling?
I have a SAC for this core topic coming up in mid-may.
I haven't started this topic at school as of yet.

Thanks
Biology (41)

English I Chemistry I Further Mathematics I Health and Human Development I Geography I

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1394 on: April 01, 2016, 03:12:19 pm »
The difference between seasonal and cyclic time series data is that with cyclic time series there is no regular periods between peaks.
Actually, seasonal variation has roughly regular intervals that repeat within a year or less, whereas cyclic is a repeating pattern beyond a year (though the trend can be much more vague, as Senor said).

Hi guys,
Any general tips and revision strategies for recursion and financial modelling?
I have a SAC for this core topic coming up in mid-may.
I haven't started this topic at school as of yet.

Thanks
As for recursion and financial modelling, I can suggest that you try more related Checkpoints questions to keep up to speed. Check up some more questions online - I'm sure you could find a few with a quick search. Unfortunately, it's been a long time since I studied this, so I'm afraid I'm not the most helpful person on AN.
VTAC Info Thread