Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:32:14 am

Author Topic: 600-101 Science 101  (Read 1811 times)  Share 

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
600-101 Science 101
« on: January 21, 2010, 03:37:15 pm »
I think this is a compulsory subject, right?

It says:

Quote from: Handbook
Subject Overview:
This subject provides the student with a set of basic skills with which to tackle first year science subjects and make an effective transition to university studies.

The program includes workshops focusing on:
  • challenges of first-year university;
  • lecture note taking;
  • preparation for workshops, tutorials and practical classes;
  • time management;
  • independent learning techniques;
  • how to seek assistance from academic staff and Faculty staff;
  • raising awareness about support systems on campus; and
  • creating early links for students to fellow students.

All participating students will be also allocated to a study group which will meet for one hour a week for the semester with other first year students and a postgraduate student facilitator. The study groups will further develop the workshop themes, as well as providing an environment for students to learn co-operatively.

So for second year Science students, what was this "subject" like?  Is it worth it?

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
Re: 600-101 Science 101
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:13:02 pm »

It says:

Subject Overview:
This subject provides the student with a set of basic skills with which to tackle first year science subjects and make an effective transition to university studies.

• lecture note taking;
  • time management;

All participating students will be also allocated to a study group which will meet for one hour a week for the semester with other first year students and a postgraduate student facilitator. The study groups will further develop the workshop themes, as well as providing an environment for students to learn co-operatively.

So for second year Science students, what was this "subject" like?  Is it worth it?

You should probably attend the first few and if you get bored just skip them. I attended only a couple and then got bored.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:46:37 pm »

It says:

Subject Overview:

• lecture note taking;
  • time management;

You should probably attend the first few and if you get bored just skip them. I attended only a couple and then got bored.

I guess you could skip it because:

1.  It's uni and quite frankly nobody cares.
2.  Most importantly, there aren't any assessments for it so...  :D

But what it really entail?  I know it sounds stupid considering I just quoted what it is about, but is it like high school where the teachers attempt to "teach" you how to study, etc?

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:04:20 pm »

It says:

Subject Overview:

• lecture note taking;
  • time management;

But what it really entail?  I know it sounds stupid considering I just quoted what it is about, but is it like high school where the teachers attempt to "teach" you how to study, etc?

You have science 101 once each week.

The first one is probably the most useful one as you have a whole lot of people talk to you about uni. The second is where they put you into groups and from then on you are just to meet at a classroom your group is assigned to and you basically just study.

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »
Don't bother :P
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 05:19:45 pm »

It says:

Subject Overview:

• lecture note taking;
  • time management;

The first one is probably the most useful one as you have a whole lot of people talk to you about uni. The second is where they put you into groups and from then on you are just to meet at a classroom your group is assigned to and you basically just study.

That first lesson sounds good.  But the rest sound so...  ^fun.  They're effectively putting you into "study groups."^

^= Sarcasm

trinon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 05:32:33 pm »
SOUNDS FUN N STUFF
Eli rocks at running.

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 05:41:26 pm »

It says:

Subject Overview:

• lecture note taking;
  • time management;

So for second year Science students, what was this "subject" like?  Is it worth it?

1.  It's uni and quite frankly nobody cares.
2.  Most importantly, there aren't any assessments for it so...  :D

But what it really entail?  I know it sounds stupid considering I just quoted what it is about, but is it like high school where the teachers attempt to "teach" you how to study, etc?

That first lesson sounds good.  But the rest sound so...  ^fun.  They're effectively putting you into "study groups."^

^= Sarcasm

Basically.

I skipped one of them and my friend was like "you promised me you would be there" and then we basically joked about science 101 and in one case just threw a frisbee with some other friends on the lawn infront of the student union.