Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 12:01:12 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210253 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2017, 10:37:47 pm »
+3
Hi!

Do you have to choose an ORT of a different type to your PT? E.g. PT is a collection of poems, could we choose a poem to analyse in terms of the module?

Thanks~   :)

in my school we're told to have a related that's a different text type to our prescribed text, but people have still done well with say, a film and a film. i don't think it matters, at the end of the day it is personal preference :)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:51 pm »
in my school we're told to have a related that's a different text type to our prescribed text, but people have still done well with say, a film and a film. i don't think it matters, at the end of the day it is personal preference :)

Thank you! ;D

Another question: Would you be penalised in your Trial if you use a Year 11 text as one of your ORTs? I guess in the HSC they wouldn't know what text you did, but not so sure about Trials...
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #287 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:58 pm »
+1
my friend asked about skrzynecki as a related text, and she was told to find another one because skrzynecki's stuff is apparently "overused." thank you anyway!

Rats! Very picky indeed! Hmm... I want to say V for Vendetta, but I reckon that would be considered overused too ;) how about Fault in our Stars? Bit of a popular text and I've never seen it used as a related, buuuut if you are familiar with the text it could be a good pick?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #288 on: July 14, 2017, 10:42:18 pm »
+2
Another question: Would you be penalised in your Trial if you use a Year 11 text as one of your ORTs? I guess in the HSC they wouldn't know what text you did, but not so sure about Trials...

In the HSC it is definitely okay, in the Trials, ask your teacher for their preference! There is no rule against it! ;D

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #289 on: July 14, 2017, 10:44:15 pm »
+1
In the HSC it is definitely okay, in the Trials, ask your teacher for their preference! There is no rule against it! ;D

Thanks! (loved your Maths lecture the other day :) finally understood Perms and Combs  ;D  ;D)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #290 on: July 14, 2017, 10:46:14 pm »
+1
Thanks! (loved your Maths lecture the other day :) finally understood Perms and Combs  ;D  ;D)

Aww, thanks so much! I am so glad! ;D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #291 on: July 14, 2017, 10:50:34 pm »

nope, not at all. if it works, then it works, i guess.

Rats! Very picky indeed! Hmm... I want to say V for Vendetta, but I reckon that would be considered overused too ;) how about Fault in our Stars? Bit of a popular text and I've never seen it used as a related, buuuut if you are familiar with the text it could be a good pick?

way too picky. tfios is studied in year 10 at my school so it'd probably be considered as "not sophisticated." :-/
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2017, 11:38:45 pm »
+1
nope, not at all. if it works, then it works, i guess.

way too picky. tfios is studied in year 10 at my school so it'd probably be considered as "not sophisticated." :-/

Yikes - Alrighty, tagging someone else in unless I think of something else! Perhaps some texts on this list would be worth considering. They are intended for Discovery but I bet a heap would work here too ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2017, 11:59:09 pm »
Helloo! I was just wondering if we are able to use second person pronoun in our essays? It has been a trend in DISCOVERY and Exploring Transitions reponses... Have been looking at BOSTES Exam Workbooks and seen a lot of them. But still unsure about it
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #294 on: July 15, 2017, 12:02:09 am »
+1
Helloo! I was just wondering if we are able to use second person pronoun in our essays? It has been a trend in DISCOVERY and Exploring Transitions reponses... Have been looking at BOSTES Exam Workbooks and seen a lot of them. But still unsure about it

Hey! Personally makes me uneasy - I'd avoid it the same as first person ones, but I'd be keen to hear other opinions! :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #295 on: July 15, 2017, 02:10:06 pm »
+3
my friend asked about skrzynecki as a related text, and she was told to find another one because skrzynecki's stuff is apparently "overused." thank you anyway!

Hey!
Try and see if you can get your hands on the exam workbooks from your local library! They contain related texts for the modules.
Sample 1
I have the 2012 workbook with me, and strangely, the student has used another film lol and still got a band 6 for it.
 related was a film, Brick Lane (2007)
 - quote from the introduction, "When entering into new worlds there are barriers which limit freedom and opportunities which extend it. In order to transition into new chapters of life, individuals must go through change, growth and accept the need for adaptation. Stephen Daldry's "Billy Eillot" (2002) follows the story of Billy who wishes to move into the world of professional ballet, however, is faced with challenges due to the town he resides in. The 2007 art house film 'Brick Lane' explores the transition into a new world which limits an individual's freedom and requires her to push through challenges in order to feel free again.".

Sample 2 related is ABC documentary on Sisters.
"The experiences and perceptions of moving into the world may be shaped within the historical, cultural, workplace and most important - social contexts and - include limiting and extending of individual freedom within a particular society. This is conveyed in Stephen Daldry's film "Billy Elliot" and Claire McCarthy's (ABC) the documentary 'Sisters"

I know it was "Into the World" before but they are practically the same, just "Exploring Transitions" is more complex.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #296 on: July 15, 2017, 02:36:41 pm »
+1
Hey!
Try and see if you can get your hands on the exam workbooks from your local library! They contain related texts for the modules.

I know it was "Into the World" before but they are practically the same, just "Exploring Transitions" is more complex.

we are highly discouraged not to use a visual text when we already have a film which sucks because many recent films work great with billy elliot. thank you anyway!

morning_sunshine

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #297 on: July 17, 2017, 12:12:03 pm »
Hi guys,
So I am currently studying Henry Lawson and have no idea where to start with analysis, but also was not very lucky when looking for notes on this concept. Some guidance would be much appreciated and I just really need help with analysing his texts.

Thanks in advance

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #298 on: July 17, 2017, 02:25:07 pm »
Hello!!!
I'm wondering if anyone can help me to avoid using personal pronouns???
I keep going to use 'we' in sentences such as; ' we can see from the image above that....'
but i have been told to avoid using it! What is another option???
Thanks

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #299 on: July 17, 2017, 03:25:20 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
So I am currently studying Henry Lawson and have no idea where to start with analysis, but also was not very lucky when looking for notes on this concept. Some guidance would be much appreciated and I just really need help with analysing his texts.

Thanks in advance

hi, is this for distinctively visual? i know i struggled a lot with the concept at first - it does take a bit of getting used to. i don't do henry lawson but when you analyse the texts it's mostly just showing how the texts makes stuff 'distinctively visual' and how it can impact the reader in some way. for example, the hsc 2011 question: In what ways are people and their experiences brought to life through the distinctively visual? pretty much give examples of techniques, explain what they do, and say how the reader can experience distinctively visual. hope this helps!

Hello!!!
I'm wondering if anyone can help me to avoid using personal pronouns???
I keep going to use 'we' in sentences such as; ' we can see from the image above that....'
but i have been told to avoid using it! What is another option???
Thanks

with this, you can replace 'we' with other words! in that sentence, instead of saying 'we can see from the image above,' you can replace 'we' with the reader, audience, etc. hope this helps!