Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 12:01:47 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210253 times)  Share 

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 29, 2017, 02:58:04 pm »
gooood day friends (not really i'm very stressed about everything)

i'm doing the play away for discovery, and when we studied it last year, my teacher said not to include dialogue as a technique because a play is dialogue... i'm trying to fish for techniques but dialogue is the only thing i can think of for one of my quotes 😂 should i not mention a quote as dialogue?

Hey! I usually look at the punctuation within the dialogue and imagine how it would sound and look like if we saw it live as play. Like an asyndeton or cumulative listing would most likely quicken the tempo of the dialogue.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #361 on: July 29, 2017, 03:48:36 pm »
+2
Hey! In a play, dialogue is probably not the most effective choice - You could use tone though, if it suits? :)
Hey! I usually look at the punctuation within the dialogue and imagine how it would sound and look like if we saw it live as play. Like an asyndeton or cumulative listing would most likely quicken the tempo of the dialogue.

thanks guys! will definitely take this techniques into account when writing. :-)
Hi!

I'm doing a play for Mod C, and my teacher told me that we should use stage directions as a technique :)

stage directions are cool because you can just quote them and say 'through the use of stage directions, it can be concluded that...' but what i was referring to was someone talking without any stage directions in between and i tried to pick up a technique but i couldn't see anything there 🙄
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #362 on: July 29, 2017, 03:51:26 pm »
+1
For visual texts, is there a technique or word to describe how an author places an image on pages and then parts of the image would continue 'off the page'? I'm referring to the one in the attachment. I'm analysing this page and want to say that the supposed technique is indicative of its age as well as its years of interweaving with the local community..etc. I know i don't need it but I'm curious to see if there is something that describes that.
 ;D ;D ;D
P.S the text is 'Memorial' by Shaun Tan and Gary Crew for anyone curious !!

the only technique i can think of is vector lines :-/ sorry i can't help you any more than that!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #363 on: July 29, 2017, 05:23:59 pm »
Is it too late to change my related text for Mod C? I feel like I know more of my new related text than my first one. Plus my new ORT relates more to the Mod C rubric.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #364 on: July 29, 2017, 05:49:07 pm »
Is it too late to change my related text for Mod C? I feel like I know more of my new related text than my first one. Plus my new ORT relates more to the Mod C rubric.

Hey! It depends when your trials are for Paper 2. If you have at least a week, go for it! I swapped my Discovery RT last week and it honestly works so much better with my PT. It's much better than trying to get quotes and making them fit into the rubric :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #365 on: July 29, 2017, 05:52:57 pm »
+3

i'm going to sound so lame but the only word i have is... yolo honestly i changed my related for distinctively visual the night before the assessment and ended up doing a lot better than my practices so if you think it's better, then it probably is. :-)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #366 on: July 29, 2017, 09:45:35 pm »
Hey! It depends when your trials are for Paper 2. If you have at least a week, go for it! I swapped my Discovery RT last week and it honestly works so much better with my PT. It's much better than trying to get quotes and making them fit into the rubric :)

My trial for Paper 2 is actually this Tuesday! I've written notes for my second ORT today and will do a practice essay tomorrow. Will that benefit me at all? Or still too risky?

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #367 on: July 29, 2017, 10:04:10 pm »
+1
My trial for Paper 2 is actually this Tuesday! I've written notes for my second ORT today and will do a practice essay tomorrow. Will that benefit me at all? Or still too risky?

Hey! My Paper 2 is also on Tuesday as well :P
imo, if you really think that the new ORT works better than your previous one, I don't see why not! The only risk is not knowing your quotes off by heart so just keep reciting them out loud/write them out on paper :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #368 on: July 30, 2017, 05:56:35 pm »
+1

If you know it better sounds good. I've hardly even got one so you should be fine.
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

sophia123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #369 on: July 30, 2017, 06:42:58 pm »
thoughts about using 'Mirror' by Sylvia Plath as a related text for the discovery paper? I understand due to the high textual integrity of Plath, that it should be used carefully and analysis should be thought out and linked well...but will it be ok? I am having second thoughts (yes trials are tomorrow...eek!)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #370 on: July 30, 2017, 06:58:21 pm »
+2
thoughts about using 'Mirror' by Sylvia Plath as a related text for the discovery paper? I understand due to the high textual integrity of Plath, that it should be used carefully and analysis should be thought out and linked well...but will it be ok? I am having second thoughts (yes trials are tomorrow...eek!)

i reckon mirror's great from discovery! if you think it's better, then it probably is :-) i changed my related the night before an internal assessment last term and it was probably the best decision i made because i ended up doing a lot better than my practices, so trust your instincts.

good luck for trials (we all need it aye)

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #371 on: July 31, 2017, 02:36:24 pm »
Hey,

I'm really struggling to prepare for paper 2, does any one have any suggestions of how this is done? My texts are Shoe-horn sonata (RT Maus) , curious incident... and the simple gift (RT Book thief). I'm kinda reluctant to prepare too much because I did this today and it was the essay question was completely different to what I had prepared for and honestly I just hate english so much and idk why they think exams are a good idea ever but especially for english.

Thanks
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #372 on: July 31, 2017, 04:29:51 pm »
How likely is Paper two going to ask a question on a specific key idea or poem or scene (for any modules in general)?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #373 on: July 31, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »
+1
Hey,

I'm really struggling to prepare for paper 2, does any one have any suggestions of how this is done? My texts are Shoe-horn sonata (RT Maus) , curious incident... and the simple gift (RT Book thief). I'm kinda reluctant to prepare too much because I did this today and it was the essay question was completely different to what I had prepared for and honestly I just hate english so much and idk why they think exams are a good idea ever but especially for english.

Thanks

I know how you are feeling at the moment! I'm trying to memorise all my quotes and techniques for tomorrow!!
Have you tried making a palm card for each key idea or poem or character for all your texts? (I do different texts to you so I'm not quite sure but I'll tell you how I preparing for my Paper 2). For my Mod A (Douglas Stewart's poems), I had a palm card for each poem and had the key ideas, quotes and techniques on the back. For for Mod B (Life and Crimes ....), I had a palm card for each key idea (corruption, criminality, technology etc) and had quotes & techniques on the back. While my for Mod C (Billy Elliot), I focused more on each character, how they experienced transitions (before and after) and had film techniques on the back. Same thing goes for all your related texts.

BY having a system like this, you'll be super organised and prepared for paper two! :) :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #374 on: July 31, 2017, 04:37:20 pm »
+4
Hey,

Thanks

i feel you. i prepared for all the different possibilities thinking that i had everything covered, and the essay question was so bad i ended up rehashing the plot of each of my texts :-/

anyway, paper 2 is where it's at!!! this is what i've done, so i have 3 sets of palm cards with quotes for each of my texts (only one set of quotes for each module though). the thing with modules is there's only so much they can ask, and if you're doing cssa they make the question sound all complicated and stuff but usually you can argue with the question though 'to what extent' or 'explore' or i don't know words like that.

i hate english with a passion no joke like i can't stand it and the fact that there's 2 exams??? lmaoooo get out but just keep in mind there's only so much that can be asked with the modules.

good luck for tomorrow!! may we all go in focused and not start daydreaming or have our hands hurt

How likely is Paper two going to ask a question on a specific key idea or poem or scene (for any modules in general)?

ooooh interesting i wouldn't have a clue! cssa is going to pull some weird shit like today i'm not even going to lie about that wtf was that whole paper today... however, the rubric for the modules is a loooot smaller so there's more of a limit as to what can be asked key idea wise but there better not be an extract especially for module a i'll literally walk out the hall (i hope i won't)