Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 01:17:44 am

Author Topic: General Questions  (Read 22801 times)  Share 

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: General Questions
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2016, 03:39:11 pm »
I think that would depend on the subject! If you could get your hands on online lectures for the subject (UNSW does these), and perhaps the prescribed textbook, then I think you could! You'd just have to be wary of learning things you don't need to, subjects can change slightly year to year in precisely how much/what gets taught and assessed :)

Are textbooks and ex student resources efficient enough? (i.e their notes and assignments)

Does the uni syllabus change often?

lozil

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2016, 09:20:29 pm »
I think it's a great idea! Particularly if you aren't totally sold on any specific course at uni ;D

In general though; I think it is awesome if it suits your needs. Take a break from study, earn some cash working, travel, for many people I think it works really well!

Of course there are drawbacks: Longer to get a degree (if that's your plan), perhaps breaking the academic routine would make it tougher to go back to study, etc etc :)

Just some thoughts, I considered taking a gap year (I got offered to go live and work in Canada for 6 months), but in the end I decided to just go straight to uni ;D

Yeah, I'd rather not do the wrong course and then completely change because aren't uni debts a massive problem  :( :(

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2016, 09:25:14 pm »
Yeah, I'd rather not do the wrong course and then completely change because aren't uni debts a massive problem  :( :(

But doesn't the Govt pay for them and then when you start working fulltime, you repay them back?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2016, 09:51:27 pm »
But doesn't the Govt pay for them and then when you start working fulltime, you repay them back?

Pretty much! But those repayments are what we want to minimise. Like, they should be secondary to getting into something you love (even if it takes transferring), but it is nice to minimise them where possible. Uni can still get close to $10,000 a year even with Commonwealth assistance :P

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2016, 10:10:23 am »
Pretty much! But those repayments are what we want to minimise. Like, they should be secondary to getting into something you love (even if it takes transferring), but it is nice to minimise them where possible. Uni can still get close to $10,000 a year even with Commonwealth assistance :P

Let's not even discuss the cost of doing a Master's degree...

But essentially, don't let the cost of a course, that is puts on HECS anyway, to stop you from doing what you feel is best for you in tertiary education.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2016, 01:20:34 pm »
Oh btw lol I paid UNSW $9.8k this year up front

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:04 pm »
Oh btw lol I paid UNSW $9.8k this year up front

Why'd you choose to pay upfront Rui (if you don't mind my asking of course, I considered doing this myself) ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2016, 01:36:55 pm »
+3
Why'd you choose to pay upfront Rui (if you don't mind my asking of course, I considered doing this myself) ;D
I had to :P

Permanent residency status