Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:57:01 pm

Author Topic: Concerning memorising essays  (Read 1309 times)  Share 

onepunchboy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Concord High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Concerning memorising essays
« on: July 19, 2016, 03:54:20 am »
Hey guys i was just wondering if there was an efficient way to be prepared for the 2 essay questions out of 16 topics that could be asked. I dont think u coul memorise 16 essays. Thanks

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Concerning memorising essays
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:01:57 pm »
Hello!

For economics, I would definitely not recommend memorising essays, because it becomes too difficult. Instead, I would focus on gaining an overall understanding of the course content, across the board, including in difficult areas such as globalisation case studies, environment and other globalisation essays. Then before the exam, I would recommend going through past papers and writing up plans to different essays including which statistics, trends and diagrams you will be using. Do this as much as you can, and for as many different topics as possible. Outside of this, you could always try to beat the system and guess the question, but it is not very reliable.

Anyway, hope that helps!!

Spencerr

• Forum Regular
  • Things will turn out better than expected.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:41:19 pm »
Hello!

For economics, I would definitely not recommend memorising essays, because it becomes too difficult. Instead, I would focus on gaining an overall understanding of the course content, across the board, including in difficult areas such as globalisation case studies, environment and other globalisation essays. Then before the exam, I would recommend going through past papers and writing up plans to different essays including which statistics, trends and diagrams you will be using. Do this as much as you can, and for as many different topics as possible. Outside of this, you could always try to beat the system and guess the question, but it is not very reliable.

Anyway, hope that helps!!

I completely agree with writing up plans for different essays. The theory you learn here is also applicable for the short answer. So pretty much 80% of the exam done haha
1st in HSC Eco 2016

Klexos

• Forum Regular
  • Exceeding limitations
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:15:22 am »
Memorising essays in Economics is not ideal. HOWEVER, exposing yourself to as many questions as possible, having a strong understanding of your content (with the ability to shape it to the global or Australian context) and just over-exposure to your statistics (much like how you remember quotes for English etc)
2015 HSC: Business Studies

2016 HSC: English Advanced  l  Mathematics  l Mathematics Extension 1  l  Economics  l  Physics

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:11 am »
Hey guys i was just wondering if there was an efficient way to be prepared for the 2 essay questions out of 16 topics that could be asked. I dont think u coul memorise 16 essays. Thanks

I don't think memorising a full essay on each would be a good idea, 1. because there are just so many they could choose, and 2. because when you memorise an essay it becomes easy to forget to include the stimulus. However, essay plans are definitely a good idea, along with maybe trying to write just one full paragraph on each topic just so you know that you understand the content, and how, if it where to arise you could construct a response. But if anything at all, just make sure that you know at least a few key (and in most cases contemporary) statistics for each topic. A good website to check out for these stats is tradingeconomics.com.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!