Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 06:12:14 am

Author Topic: Stimulus generalization in operant conditioning  (Read 9389 times)  Share 

diligent18

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
  • School: Hogwarts
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Stimulus generalization in operant conditioning
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:10:22 am »
Please describe an example of stimulus generalisation (or discrimination for that matter) in operant conditioning.
Thanks.
UMAT 2012: 99%tile   ATAR 2012: 99.55
2013: Monash MBBS I

j-awad11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Kilbreda College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Stimulus generalization in operant conditioning
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:32:41 am »
An example of stimulus generalisation is the subject responding to the sight of a dinner plate the same as they would respond to their dog pan (e.g. drooling).

An example of stimulus discrimination would be the opposite - the stimulus responds to their dog pan but not a dinner plate, even though they are both carrying their food.

diligent18

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 12:38:15 pm »
An example of stimulus generalisation is the subject responding to the sight of a dinner plate the same as they would respond to their dog pan (e.g. drooling).

An example of stimulus discrimination would be the opposite - the stimulus responds to their dog pan but not a dinner plate, even though they are both carrying their food.
Yes, I understand classical conditioning.
I was referring to operant conditioning.
Thanks for your input anyway. c:

emiinaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »
Please describe an example of stimulus generalisation (or discrimination for that matter) in operant conditioning.
Thanks.

It's when a response is elicited in a similar environment to the original environment which led to the consequence, for example, in Skinner's experiements, the pigeon not only pecked to the green light but to other colours as well, as it had generalised the stimulus (green light) to other similar stimuli (the other colours)

Do you need an example for stimulus discrimination too?

diligent18

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:26:42 pm »
Thanks.

It's when a response is elicited in a similar environment to the original environment which led to the consequence, for example, in Skinner's experiements, the pigeon not only pecked to the green light but to other colours as well, as it had generalised the stimulus (green light) to other similar stimuli (the other colours)

Fantastic.  Thank you.
I'm assuming an example for stimulus discrimination would be that the pigeon must peck on the green light only to be reinforced.  Pecking other coloured lights will not lead to reinforcement?

emiinaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 01:33:28 pm »
Thanks.

Fantastic.  Thank you.
I'm assuming an example for stimulus discrimination would be that the pigeon must peck on the green light only to be reinforced.  Pecking other coloured lights will not lead to reinforcement?

Yep, exactly, no worries.  :)