Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:49:46 am

Author Topic: So you think you can perform an open heart coronary bypass surgery?  (Read 4223 times)  Share 

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
Re: So you think you can perform an open heart coronary bypass surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:47:05 pm »
Oh crap I gotta call my lawyer.

iamdan08

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • VCE Survivor
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:47:34 pm »
Haha, thats pretty cool!
2007-08 VCE - Accounting, Texts & Traditions, Methods, Chem, Physics, Lit

2011 Bachelor of Biomedicine (Completed) @ The University of Melbourne
2012 Doctor of Medicine (Second Year) @ The University of Melbourne

squance

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:50 pm »
It scares me....

jess3254

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »
omg that's freaking awesome

BA22

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:56:13 pm »
Another one, hip replacement

http://www.gamershood.com/flashgames/1787

jess3254

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 05:10:42 pm »
Congratulations, surgery was successful

yay :P

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 05:12:20 pm »

Awesome. Now with your knowledge of medical lingo and surgery experience, you can get started with your medical career right away. :)

jess3254

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 06:07:13 pm »
You know what, they should create these virtual games for medical students for the simple procedures too.
Like, "so you can think you can take blood without the patient hating you?" :P
Now wouldn't THAT be fun!

"You put the needle into a crap vein which yielded no blood, try again"
"You forgot to take the tourniquet off once you were able to locate the vein, try again"
"Patient's arm is turning purple due to tourniquet being on for too long, try again"
"You made the tourniquet smack you in the face whilst taking it off. Try again. (Next time, loosen it twat)"
"You haven't found another vein for 10 minutes. Go and get a nurse."
"You made the patient's vein collapse, please, go and get a nurse."
"You used the wrong type of needle and ended up putting it in intramuscularly, please go and work at McDonalds before you kill someone"

(An intern at the Alfred Emergency department did nearly everything listed above on me about 12 months ago. Oh god it was painful. Yet somewhat hilarious. But mostly painful. Argghhh.)

Awesome. Now with your knowledge of medical lingo and surgery experience, you can get started with your medical career right away. :)

hahaha, already started :P

BA22

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:11:11 pm »
That sounds terrible jess, second year med students are expected to know how to take blood, let alone interns!

I know the mildura clinical school are getting a robotic simualted patient thing for their students, but as far as taking blood goes, we have to learn to take it from each other, yay.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:15:08 pm »

Ha ha ha ha! XD

*Does not even attempt it*
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

jess3254

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 06:35:13 pm »
That sounds terrible jess, second year med students are expected to know how to take blood, let alone interns!

I know the mildura clinical school are getting a robotic simualted patient thing for their students, but as far as taking blood goes, we have to learn to take it from each other, yay.

Lol yeah. And he was unbelievably cocky too! I have difficult veins (due to countless drips and long lines), and he made them even worse! The nurse ended up having to take the blood from my foot. Atm, I have to get regular FBE and U&Es, and it's impossible for pathology collectors to take blood from my right arm now, as my veins are still scarred. >.<

Are those the robots where you can control the mannequin's heart rate, blood pressure and saturation levels, and make it vomit and such? I thought Monash had those? (Or was it Melbourne?)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 05:53:08 am by jessie0 »

BA22

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 06:45:02 pm »
That sucks, nothing worse than interns who don't know their limitations and put their pride ahead of a patient

Yeh, Mildura clinical school are under the monash med faculty, but i think they're getting a more advanced one, not sure, i know they have robots for emergency training, which we get to play with soon i hope

RD

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 06:49:52 pm »
You know what, they should create these virtual games for medical students for the simple procedures too.
Like, "so you can think you can take blood without the patient hating you?" :P
Now wouldn't THAT be fun!

"You put the needle into a crap vein which yielded no blood, try again"
"You forgot to take the tourniquet off once you were able to locate the vein, try again"
"Patient's arm is turning purple due to tourniquet being on for too long, try again"
"You made the tourniquet smack you in the face whilst taking it off. Try again. (Next time, loosen it twat)"
"You haven't found another vein for 10 minutes. Go and get a nurse."
"You made the patient's vein collapse, please, go and get a nurse."
"You used the wrong type of needle and ended up putting it in intramuscularly, please go and work at McDonalds before you kill someone"

(An intern at the Alfred Emergency department did nearly everything listed above on me about 12 months ago. Oh god it was painful. Yet somewhat hilarious. But mostly painful. Argghhh.)

hahaha, already started :P
lol and the alfred is so selective with their intern applicants. My bros starting as an intern at Box Hill (Well.. eastern health cause he has to work at Maroondah, Angliss, Knox and Bairnsdale too for rural rotation) next month. He just finished MBBS at Monash.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:53:39 pm by RD »

jess3254

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »
Yeh, Mildura clinical school are under the monash med faculty, but i think they're getting a more advanced one, not sure, i know they have robots for emergency training, which we get to play with soon i hope

Oh ok. The robots are fun to use. I tried them out at Melbourne Open day in the nursing faculty, where they have an awesome simulation hospital ward. You could resuscitate them! And insert chest tubes!