Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 12:49:14 am

Author Topic: How did we go?  (Read 12850 times)  Share 

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Re: How did we go?
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2009, 11:48:06 pm »
Oh god I've forgotten what I wrote for Hedda! D: All I remember is one little comment about the stage direction [moving her chair closer to her] and physical/emotional dominance.

I don't remember Chekhov, fin.
I remember some lame references to tea.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

naj011

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2009, 07:16:05 pm »
ugh i kinda lyked the Pasage2India one coz i already did a similair passage analysis with my teacher but i think i totally screwed it coz i think it was a bit too much text responsey. though i lyked the shiprek thing coz i commented on how friendshaip could either could lead u to anchorage or pull you towards the rock and used it as comparison with Fielding and Aziz and blah blah blah. ugh it was so bad and Antigone was even worse i didn't even finish it....is it bad if u don't finish it?

invalid

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:55 pm »
I suppose it depends on how you left off at the end. Structure isn't the absolute most important thing in literature, so you might be able to get away with it if it "feels" complete.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2009, 10:16:21 pm »
I suppose it depends on how you left off at the end. Structure isn't the absolute most important thing in literature, so you might be able to get away with it if it "feels" complete.

That said, the friend that I know was pinned for a 50 got a 39 because her structure was lacking in the exam.
And when you were gone, VATE said it was important.
OOPS VAIN.  Yep, good one going home for that :P

skinny

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2009, 06:09:49 pm »
I think I went ok with one of my essays, but the other one went really badly, did anyone else dislike the Hedda Gabler passages this year?
i did. my teacher thought they were awesome but i didnt think they were really that great at all. i did passage as well and omg terrible!
so dissappointed with that exam :(
2009 - english, english lit, history revs (french and russian), further maths, psych

jejak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • sudo make me a sandwich
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2009, 11:50:04 pm »
^ know where you're coming from. If it makes you feel any better, most people I've spoken to struggled with Passage - and if I understand correctly, our essays are marked against other Passage essays as well, if that makes sense. So, as long as you kept your head, I'm sure you did fine.
2008: Biology |
2009: Literature | Indonesian SL | Chinese SL | Methods | Chemistry |
ENTER: 99.65

skinny

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 11:04:31 am »
^ know where you're coming from. If it makes you feel any better, most people I've spoken to struggled with Passage - and if I understand correctly, our essays are marked against other Passage essays as well, if that makes sense. So, as long as you kept your head, I'm sure you did fine.
def reassuring words haha.
2009 - english, english lit, history revs (french and russian), further maths, psych

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 12:16:16 pm »

This makes me uneasy; what did you guys talk about in the passages?

kelly1312

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 02:00:05 pm »
Did anyone write on DH Lawrence or Beveridge poetry?
From the posts on this thread doesn't sound like many did at all.

Question: Does anyone know how harsh examiners tend to be on an 'overboard' (as my teacher called it) focus on views and values?
Say a very decent piece which language-wise could score a 17 or 18, how much would an over-focus on views and values take it down?

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Facebook-free since September
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 02:08:53 pm »
Did anyone write on DH Lawrence or Beveridge poetry?
From the posts on this thread doesn't sound like many did at all.

Question: Does anyone know how harsh examiners tend to be on an 'overboard' (as my teacher called it) focus on views and values?
Say a very decent piece which language-wise could score a 17 or 18, how much would an over-focus on views and values take it down?

We were told by people high up in the VCAA that pieces that seem like a rehash of Unit 3 Outcome 2 (Views and Values) will not score highly on the Literature examination.
2008: Biology
2009: English Literature, Chemistry, Mathematical Methods, Indonesian SL, Theatre Studies

kelly1312

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »
Hmm that doesn't bode well for me, my Lawrence analysis was probably a little over-viewy/valuey.
But if the passages are angled that way then hopefully it doesn't lower my mark too much.

emmawayfarer

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 09:52:13 pm »
structure? I didn't even finish my second essay!!!
I do extension program lit as well, & I swear it's easier than that lit exam was...