Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:53:16 pm

Author Topic: question on the bachelor of commerce  (Read 1600 times)  Share 

spursy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
question on the bachelor of commerce
« on: December 18, 2019, 09:55:15 pm »
Im at the enrolling units stage but i have no idea what units to enrol into lol. I want to do something in the finance area so could someone please recommend me on the best units to enrol into especially for a first year like me, thanks.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: question on the bachelor of commerce
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 12:20:32 am »
+1
You should follow your handbook for your course to guide you on what units to enrol into each semester. There is also an example progression map for 2020 commencing students for different major choices in the handbook. First semester intake for finance is on page 7.

BCom has a lot of common first year core units regardless of your major of choice, so you won't have to do much picking.

It is ultimately the student's responsibility to ensure they are enrolling in the correct units to meet the requirements to be able to graduate at the end of the degree, but you are able to access course advice and speak to your faculty's student services for further advice throughout your degree about your course structure if you are unsure at any point.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

spursy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 01:03:27 pm »
ive picked all the core subjects and the one recommended by the course progression map which I think just leaves me with an elective ( correct me if im wrong). How do you know which units are electives and which units aren't?

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 02:15:17 pm »
+1
ive picked all the core subjects and the one recommended by the course progression map which I think just leaves me with an elective ( correct me if im wrong). How do you know which units are electives and which units aren't?

Elective units are typically any unit from any faculty that you can enrol into that you meet the prerequisites for. When a faculty is attached to 'elective unit' such as 'commerce elective unit', it means it must be a unit taught by the faculty of Business and Economics. Each unit in the handbook has a section in the blue box at the top with 'faculty', and a section below it with the requisites. It is probably easier to browse Part B in the course handbook I linked earlier. I also recommend reading Part A: Additional commerce unit and Part C: Free elective study.

Course maps are flexible granted you plan them correctly to be able to finish on time with the right requirements. For example, you don't have to take the commerce elective unit now that the map recommends, but could swap it with a free elective spot and do the commerce elective later. However, I will again stress it is your responsibility to ensure you're on track and enrolling in the correct units by the time it comes to graduating.

You should have 4 units for semester 1, and 4 units for semester 2 when you submit the unit enrolment.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 10:23:50 pm »
+2
It doesn't really matter what you enrol into in Sem 2, because you can change it till the start of that semester.

If you're interested in finance, you could look at either accounting, economics or data/econometricsy stuff to do alongside it. eg ACC2100, ECC1100/2000, ETC1010. Just throwing out some ideas. You'll probably see from your first sem subjects what you like