Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:07:56 pm

Author Topic: Study for test  (Read 787 times)  Share 

RobertDyd

• Trailblazer
  • Top student by day, gamer by night
  • Respect: 0
Study for test
« on: February 25, 2017, 03:08:32 pm »
Hi guys,

I have an extension 2 math test in two weeks on a thursday morning and I was hoping if you knew some tips for preparation/ study, maybe patterns or schedules I should use to better prepare myself? It is testing Complex numbers, Polynomials and Conics, and so far we are only done two lessons on conics.

Thanks,
Rob
"I can't read" - My attempt at not being chosen for reading out-loud in class

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Study for test
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 03:48:19 pm »
Hi guys,

I have an extension 2 math test in two weeks on a thursday morning and I was hoping if you knew some tips for preparation/ study, maybe patterns or schedules I should use to better prepare myself? It is testing Complex numbers, Polynomials and Conics, and so far we are only done two lessons on conics.

Thanks,
Rob
If you've only had 2 lessons on conics, all you should focus on that is memorising the necessary formulae (e.g. eccentricity)

You should know the basics of complex numbers off by heart. But the real curveball questions are usually related to the Argand plane. Ensure that you fully understand the geometrical interpretation of complex numbers. Alternatively, if you want something that's more algebraically intense, try the last question of the 2015 paper.

Big thing with polynomials: Know all your theorems and how to use them. And never forget icky things like sums and products of roots.

But at the end of the day, keep stacking up on past paper questions. You can't think the way you're supposed to in exams without doing past papers in advance.

General exam strategy: If you have a reading time, use it to read the whole paper. If not, then hopefully your first 3 questions are warm-up type questions, so just get them done. KEEP TRACK OF TIME - look at the clock whenever you remember to; I usually look at the clock when I mind blank for too long or I've finished a question or three.