Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 03:16:52 am

Author Topic: ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!  (Read 25020 times)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 01:32:35 pm »
Hey, i'm going to put some of what I had because I'm not sue if it was right.
Text One:
- I said that 'kisses aren't contracts' and 'presents aren't promises' were metaphors, now i'm not too sure. I think that it would be if there was an are in between but I don't really know. Also, what is a double negation pairing?
- I also ended up talking about the personification of 'futures have a way of falling down mid-flight'. I said that this shows how discoveries may be different to what is initially expected/anticipated.
- the use of inclusive language such as the repetition of 'you'.

Text Two:
Like I said, I was really confused about how to answer this text. Thanks so much @beau77bro and @Elyse!! :) Also, thanks for putting an unusual text in this paper, so we'd be more prepared for the trials and HSC. :)

Text Three:
- Colloquial tone which is relatable to the audience.
- Is there a specific technique for the inclusion of the letter in the blog post?
- I talked about the ellipsis in 'see, hear,smell .....'
Elyse got everything else that I said. Thanks so much for all the techniques and discussion.
For the six marker question, I did texts one and three but i'm not sure if I did enough writing, I ended up getting just under one page for this question.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 02:00:38 pm »
Hi Jamon

I thought it was 15 posts per essay , has it changed to 25 now ?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 02:04:55 pm »
Hi Jamon

I thought it was 15 posts per essay , has it changed to 25 now ?
Hey Lachlan - it's just during the trial exam period that we've bumped it to 25 so that we can handle answering everyone's questions as well as taking the time to mark longer pieces. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 02:20:29 pm »
+2
Hey, i'm going to put some of what I had because I'm not sue if it was right.
Text One:
- I said that 'kisses aren't contracts' and 'presents aren't promises' were metaphors, now i'm not too sure. I think that it would be if there was an are in between but I don't really know. Also, what is a double negation pairing?
- I also ended up talking about the personification of 'futures have a way of falling down mid-flight'. I said that this shows how discoveries may be different to what is initially expected/anticipated.
- the use of inclusive language such as the repetition of 'you'.

Text Two:
Like I said, I was really confused about how to answer this text. Thanks so much @beau77bro and @Elyse!! :) Also, thanks for putting an unusual text in this paper, so we'd be more prepared for the trials and HSC. :)

Text Three:
- Colloquial tone which is relatable to the audience.
- Is there a specific technique for the inclusion of the letter in the blog post?
- I talked about the ellipsis in 'see, hear,smell .....'
Elyse got everything else that I said. Thanks so much for all the techniques and discussion.
For the six marker question, I did texts one and three but i'm not sure if I did enough writing, I ended up getting just under one page for this question.

Hey Katie! Okay, text one:
You are definitely right to say what you did - the double negation pairing isn't the official name of a technique, it's just the best description I could give. A negation is saying "it is NOT" or "I am NOT what you..." or "they are NOT" and this is in the presents aren't promises section. It's just a pairing of them. Everything you've written sounds right to me.

As for text two: You're welcome!

Text three: You're right to pick up the colloquial language. It's enough to say that a letter is included, because varying text types is a technique in itself. Similarly to the negation pairing earlier, not everything an author does has the name of a "technique" so to say, but it is a decision made by an author for a specific reason, so that is technique enough :) I think this is really important for the unseen texts, personally. I looked for things like "indefinite articles" as opposed to "definite articles" (an/a and the) if it was relevant, and simple things like grammar and punctuation.

As for the six marker, I personally never found myself writing more than 1.5 pages for this section, I think it's possibly to achieve full marks in about a page - it's not supposed to be a full essay, where the requirements of what to write is different, so it's not really worth saying "well if an essay is 4 pages and it's double the marks of this...I should be writing about 2 pages" because it doesn't really convert over simply because of what is required of you.

Good on you for giving the paper a shot! We'll create a few more before HSC goes back so I'm glad you got something out of this one :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 09:01:00 pm »
+1

For those who completed the paper, which texts did you use for the 6 marker? Let's discuss!

Explain how the notion of journeys being an integral element of discovery is represented in TWO texts of your choosing.

For Q.4 I used texts 1 and 2. I said that it is through journeys that we have experiences which change/transform us, thus leading to discovery.

Text 1: explores how learning puts individuals on a never ending journey of accumulating experiences whereby discovery is met after each experience
- Lyrical repetition of motivic phrase "After a while you learn"
- "and you learn", "begin to learn" - the continual repetition/development of these lines suggests that learning is not something static. Learning changes the discoverer just as the line, as a motif, changes through the course of the poem
- On the journey to discovery individuals may be confronted by provocative discoveries - antithetical metaphor "even sunshine burns" - a representation that even hope and joy meets failure and defeat
- in facing confronting discoveries we learn and are thus set on a cyclical journey to the next discovery - an idea perfectly summed up in the last line "you learn..." where the ellipsis sustained a sort of lingered suggestion that the journey to discovery is ongoing and inevitable

Text 2: depicts journey from loss to actualisation in which the stages of this journey are what drive the persona to her discovery of acceptance
- confronting + blatant opening line "I just lost my job last week" - mirrors the sudden shock felt by the persona upon receiving the news
- imagery "I spent a lot of time crying" - grief + loss of hope as a development/ next stage of journey, from initial shock upon receiving the news
- the intervention of friendship compels the persona into acceptance = new perspective
- "it woke me up. I started laughing" - joyous imagery contrasts previous two stages of her attitude to the news

No clue if any of this is at all right, I have hardly if at all done any short answer practise  :-\
But I'm going to start now!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:03:59 pm by georgiia »

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 09:21:33 pm »
Does anyone know any commonly used AOS essay questions,
im trying to do my essay now but its kind of hard without an actual question...... also i want to do the AN trial in actual exam conditions so i dont want to use their question.
ATAR Goal 90

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 09:26:47 pm »
Does anyone know any commonly used AOS essay questions,
im trying to do my essay now but its kind of hard without an actual question...... also i want to do the AN trial in actual exam conditions so i dont want to use their question.

You could use the 2016 or 2015 questions

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 09:44:58 pm »
+2
Im not at all sure if I meet the post requirements for this or not but Ill upload my response anyway for others but just warning anyone that i have no clue if what Ive done is good/right so be aware!!

Also I found it really beneficial doing the paper and then going on here and reading what others thought/ did similarly or differently.
So much better than when I attempt to do past trials/hsc short answers on my own and get no where because I lose confidence halfway usually because theres nowhere I can go to after for questions + help. It'd be so good if there were more, or even if everyone posted different paper 1  trials and then posted their thoughts on them.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:09:00 pm by georgiia »

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 09:45:51 pm »
Im not at all sure if I meet the post requirements for this or not but Ill upload my response anyway for others but just warning anyone that i have no clue if what Ive done is good/right so be aware!!

Also I found it really beneficial doing the paper and then going on here and reading what others thought/ did similarly or differently.
So much better than when I attempt to do past trials/hsc short answers on my own and get no where because I lose confidence halfway usually because theres nowhere I can go to after for questions + help. It'd be so good if there were more, or even if everyone posted different paper 1  trials and then posted their thoughts on them.

Thanks!

Um, it won't post the photos because the file is too big. What should I do?

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:10 pm »
For text 1:  would we say "presents aren't promises" and "kisses aren't contracts" are antithetical statements that emphasise the betrayal, with the accumulation (listing almost) of lessons highlighting the extent of the impact of the discoveries?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:33:17 pm by beau77bro »

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 10:34:17 pm »

Um, it won't post the photos because the file is too big. What should I do?

Take two or of each individual para? Or get a worse phone haha

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 10:36:14 pm »
Take two or of each individual para? Or get a worse phone haha
Ahaha yeah I'll try again by decreasing the quality

georgiia

• Trendsetter
ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 10:46:59 pm »
For text 1:  would we say "presents aren't promises" and "kisses aren't contracts" are antithetical statements that emphasise the betrayal, with the accumulation (listing almost) of lessons highlighting the extent of the impact of the discoveries?
Yes, I think you definitely could but if that's for Q.1 make sure you link it to the process and outcome of discovery

e.g It is through the process of learning, that an individual is exposed to confronting/provocative discoveries of betrayal. Thus the  accumulation of lessons learned represent that through the process of learning, one reaches the outcome which is to discover.

Make sure it's clear that the 'opposites' is in the antithesis.

What I just wrote is by no means an answer to the question, but just showing how to link your idea to the Q
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:48:49 pm by georgiia »

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 10:56:56 pm »
Yes, I think you definitely could but if that's for Q.1 make sure you link it to the process and outcome of discovery

e.g It is through the process of learning, that an individual is exposed to confronting/provocative discoveries of betrayal. Thus the  accumulation of lessons learned represent that through the process of learning, one reaches the outcome which is to discover.

Make sure it's clear that the 'opposites' is in the antithesis.

What I just wrote is by no means an answer to the question, but just showing how to link your idea to the Q

oh yea i was actually just wondering if we could class the repeated use of opposites throughout as "antithetical statements" because of aren't implying what they werent. but yes i really do need to expand upon how i am answering the question:

The consistent antithetical statements repeating "aren't" to emphasise the mistakes made, represents the struggles and the complications that follow along with the process of discovery. the accumulation of lessons learnt throughout the text and the repetition of "and you learn" amplifies the impact of the betrayal and discoveries made through the betrayal.

I think that addresses the question much better - wish i had time to process and work it out like this in the exam.

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 11:01:04 pm »
oh yea i was actually just wondering if we could class the repeated use of opposites throughout as "antithetical statements" because of aren't implying what they werent. but yes i really do need to expand upon how i am answering the question:

The consistent antithetical statements repeating "aren't" to emphasise the mistakes made, represents the struggles and the complications that follow along with the process of discovery. the accumulation of lessons learnt throughout the text and the repetition of "and you learn" amplifies the impact of the betrayal and discoveries made through the betrayal.

I think that addresses the question much better - wish i had time to process and work it out like this in the exam.
Oh I know right!!