Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 02:56:38 am

Author Topic: General Footy Tipping and Discussion Thread  (Read 266474 times)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: ATAR Notes Footy Tipping and Discussion
« Reply #795 on: August 06, 2017, 02:03:24 pm »
+1
Yes I agree with this. But rather than all the attention going into Grundy's possible suspension I think it should go towards how we can adjust the rules and as you say how we can PREVENT this happening in the future. It's going to spark a lot of discussion because in the last decade footy has gotten softer and softer - I'm not too sure if everyone wants that. I was watching a 2009 preliminary final and the tackling was so ferocious - it was so much more exciting to watch. Nowadays sometimes players are even afraid to tackle as they risk giving away a soft free-kick.

But I agree if it's for the safety of our players we need to make these compromises for the game. Who would want their children to play a game where at least one kid in the team gets knocked out every week?

But once again I just don't like the attention Grundy is getting. Last night on the AFL page the headline was ''PIE FACES NERVOUS WAIT AFTER TACKLE LEAVES ROO KO'D'' - It was an accident. Lets move on and discuss how we can prevent these things from happening in the future.

Hear, hear. Have nothing more to add other than to say this post is top notch
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #796 on: August 06, 2017, 02:10:50 pm »
+1
Yes I agree with this. But rather than all the attention going into Grundy's possible suspension I think it should go towards how we can adjust the rules and as you say how we can PREVENT this happening in the future. It's going to spark a lot of discussion because in the last decade footy has gotten softer and softer - I'm not too sure if everyone wants that. I was watching a 2009 preliminary final and the tackling was so ferocious - it was so much more exciting to watch. Nowadays sometimes players are even afraid to tackle as they risk giving away a soft free-kick.

But I agree if it's for the safety of our players we need to make these compromises for the game. Who would want their children to play a game where at least one kid in the team gets knocked out every week?

But once again I just don't like the attention Grundy is getting. Last night on the AFL page the headline was ''PIE FACES NERVOUS WAIT AFTER TACKLE LEAVES ROO KO'D'' - It was an accident. Lets move on and discuss how we can prevent these things from happening in the future.

Definitely, well said.

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

EulerFan102

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #797 on: August 06, 2017, 02:23:05 pm »
+5
Benny Brown is a god and anyone who touches him should be crucified.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #798 on: August 06, 2017, 04:32:53 pm »
Ladder predictor has Melbourne finishing 9th on percentage. Ouch.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #799 on: August 06, 2017, 05:13:26 pm »
+1
Surely injury can't make something not-perfect in a contact sport? If the aim is to not hurt people and you hurt someone, then it would be imperfect. But if the aim is to say, take a mark without fumbling the ball, and in the process someone's injured in the contest, that mark doesn't become any less good.

I don't see how a tackle becomes more or less perfect based on the result. It was perfect insofar that is how people get taught to lay tackles from junior footy onwards.

He could have done something differently, but probably not without improperly doing the job he's paid to do.

I think it can. If you choose to tackle in a certain way and you're able to use your momentum and strength to safely bring the player to ground then your tackle is fine. If you lay an identical tackle but you've incorrectly judged the situation and you are unable to control their fall, then your tackle is imperfect. We judge something based on how serious the outcome is all the time and the AFL have been clear about how seriously they take it. If you can't safely make the tackle then don't make it. If you think you can, go ahead, but if you're wrong you can't hide behind your intent and actions not being malicious or inappropriate. Players are being put at risk of awful long term consequences, suspensions to prevent accidents seem completely appropriate.

I also don't think the rules need significant adjusting at all - they're exceptionally clear insomuch as the AFL wishes to protect the head and if your tackling motion places the head in a vulnerable position you're walking an incredibly fine line. This is reminiscent of when the rules were changed to prevent front-on contact when a player gathers the ball.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #800 on: August 07, 2017, 04:40:25 pm »
Grundy's been offered two weeks...
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #801 on: August 07, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »
Grundy's been offered two weeks...
I feel as if the MRP were pressured into doing it because they kind of cornered themselves with Danger. Like if Grundy hadn't have been suspended it would have raised an uproar on why Danger got banned and potentially stripped off another Brownlow.

Ah well I'm pretty disappointed. Banning Grundy will not do anything - more of these accidents will happen.
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #802 on: August 07, 2017, 06:24:27 pm »
+1
I feel as if the MRP were pressured into doing it because they kind of cornered themselves with Danger. Like if Grundy hadn't have been suspended it would have raised an uproar on why Danger got banned and potentially stripped off another Brownlow.

Ah well I'm pretty disappointed. Banning Grundy will not do anything - more of these accidents will happen.

I agree, I think they would have felt they had too.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #803 on: August 07, 2017, 06:26:40 pm »
+2
As a Melbourne supporter, I'd have been happier with three. 8)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #804 on: August 07, 2017, 06:30:02 pm »
+1
Quote from: Rod
Banning Grundy will not do anything
The fact that these incidents are being punished will most certainly mean that the rules regarding these sorts of tackles are reviewed at the end of the season. So to say that it won't do anything.. is pretty much incorrect. As long as the media hype continues.

IMO I think 2 weeks is a bit harsh, looking at it objectively without bias. I genuinely feel for Grundy given it was clearly an accident... but at the same time the result is quite dangerous.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #805 on: August 07, 2017, 06:56:28 pm »
+1
As a Melbourne supporter, I'd have been happier with three. 8)

Must admit I'm pretty pleased with Mumford getting the 1 week... will help us fairly significantly

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #806 on: August 07, 2017, 06:57:52 pm »
Must admit I'm pretty pleased with Mumford getting the 1 week... will help us fairly significantly

Yeah, that's definitely shit news!

(It's so weird actively caring about neutral games this late in the season hahaha.)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #807 on: August 08, 2017, 05:56:49 pm »
+2
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #808 on: August 08, 2017, 07:01:38 pm »
+1

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #809 on: August 09, 2017, 01:41:30 pm »
Something to entertain you this Tuesday afternoon:

https://www.facebook.com/nuffies/photos/a.271975999907193.1073741826.271974086574051/342797369491722/?type=3

That is so ridiculous it's hard to fathom!

FINALLY someone with a brain!! I agree with the Facebook post completely. Brown also faked the concussion. He was having a bad day and knew he would have no impact anyway. It was all a diabolical plan!
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!