Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 07:05:44 pm

Author Topic: Free Legal Essay Marking!  (Read 142589 times)

Jimmy Barnes

• Trailblazer
Re: Free Legal Essay Marking!
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2016, 09:55:09 am »
This is another world order essay I was wondering if you could critique, mainly the coherence of it as whole if that's okay
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2016, 03:10:17 pm »
Hey I was wondering if you could please have a look at my essay and see if it is logical, also could you give it a mark out of 25? Be as harsh as you want, the more critique the better!! Also if you could let me know if my thesis is evident throughout because I never really know how to balance an argument or make it strong!! I know that none of the markers probably have done Indigenous but just from a general point of view please.

I haven't written an intro or conclusion yet just a thesis.
Thank you in advance :)

Compare the effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in recognising the rights if indigenous peoples.

Hey there! I'll take a look now :) As you guessed, I haven't studied the Indigenous syllabus. However, this shouldn't be too much of a problem :)

I'll put your essay in a spoiler here, and I'll make comments throughout in bold font:
Spoiler
Thesis: In a holistic examination of the recognition of the rights of indigenous peoples that legal and non-legal serve to promote it is irrefutably clear the legal measures have been of increasing effectiveness. The end of this sentence reads awkwardly to me. "are becoming increasingly effective," or perhaps: "have become increasingly effective over the years." Although, (Although is not the right connector here. It works, but not fluently. You can take "although" out and start the sentence with "the" and it will work perfectly :)the non-legal measures, such as media and NGOS, that pulse beneath the surface of these legal measures, have been of great effectiveness.

What I've taken from this thesis is: the legal measures previously weren't so effective but are improving. The non-legal measures work effectively to support the legal measures.

1. SELF-DETERMINATION -> nature of colonisation prevents such a right being accessed /ACCESSIBILITY
In order for justice to be achieved for Indigenous peoples, it is pivotal that their right to self determination is recognised. Significantly, however, the primary document in which such a the right right is outlined, the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), fails to adequately cater to Indigenous people and the unique nature of their (land possession.) While Article 1 of the ICCPR states that the principle of ‘self-determination’ applies to all ‘peoples’, the exercise of such a right is undermined, as Indigenous people often do not fit the convention’s definition of ‘people’. Specifically, the ICCPR requires Indigenous groups to demonstrate distinct territorial boundaries. Due to the nature of colonisation, in which Indigenous land was ‘stolen’, proving such territory proves particularly challenging. ***QUOTE*** Thus, although international law makes tangible attempts in order ensure individuals’ rights to self-determination are recognised, Indigenous peoples’ efforts to access their legal rights to self-determination often prove futile; thereby highlighting the minimal effectiveness of legal measures in recognising the rights of Indigenous peoples. —> NOT RATIFIED IN ALL COUNTRIES - ineffectiveness as not legally binding - sami people, finland
Some contents on this paragraph: If Indigenous people are excluded from "peoples" - let me know why that is? Is it on a domestic or international level that they are excluded? Be sure to say whether or not Australia has ratified this and put it into law, this is an easy way for you to use a case study. At both the start and end of this paragraph, I would make sure that I'd made a direct, clear comment on the effectiveness. So, open the paragraph with a comment on the effectiveness specifically regarding self determination. And then end the paragraph with a conclusive judgement, "therefore, blah blah blah is limited in its effectiveness." There are a few parts here that are a bit jumpy, like the missing quote and capitalised "not ratified in all countries." But I'm sure that when you make your edited copy, you'll be able to have a look at that and make sure it all flows well.
2. Gender discrimination/cultural rights -> positive steps towards recognition of rights
Despite the exclusive nature of some international conventions, international legal measures have been of increasing effectiveness in responding to contemporary issues, such as gender discrimination and a loss of cultural rights; with consequently positive repercussions for Indigenous peoples’ rights. When I started reading this sentence I was thinking "yasss! We've got the judgement in there!" but as the sentence continued, it became harder to digest. Basically, this is a really long sentence. I understand that you're dealing with complicated ideas, but it is your job to make these complex notions crystal clear to a marker. Try cut this long sentence in half.Specifically, the Human Rights Committee in the case of Sandra Lovelace v Canada, responded to a woman whose natural right to Indian status was stripped after marrying a non-Indian man of which was guided by the then Canadian Indian Act.The Human Rights Committee found such case was a violation of Articles 2(1), 3, 23(1) and (4), 26 and 27 of the ICCPR and additionally found it was gender discriminatory. Such a case represented an important step forward in eliminating gender discrimination in Canadian law for indigenous peoples and thus demonstrates the increasing effectiveness of international legal measures in recognising the rights of Indigenous peoples. Just one thing missing here - was the law overturned? You've implied it, but we just need to hear it for sure :)

3. Australian NGOs/Media role in affecting parliamentary/constitutional change

In response to Indigenous peoples’ significant lack of rights, non-legal groups have been active in taking up the baton and rallying for reform; exemplified by Australian NGOs and the media, whose unyielding promotion of Indigenous land rights has seen the Federal Government take steps to respond appropriately. Another long sentence here. I'd probably take out the colloquialism about the baton here, and replace it with a judgement that links to what you were saying above about the legal measures. Saying that the legal measures (lack of rights) are ineffective isn't consistent with what you've told me above. Because, you'd given some credit to effectiveness above. Instead I would say that the non-legal methods support the legal measures in becoming more effective.Specifically, Amnesty International Australia’s ‘Submission on Constitutional Recognition of ATSI Peoples’, recommending changes to the constitution, resulted in the Federal Government announcing a referendum to be held in 2017; a significant step towards a holistic recognition of Indigenous land rights, and justice for Indigenous Australians as a whole. Moreover, the media, (‘What Indigenous constitutional recognition means’, Explainer, 2014), has played a considerable role in ensuring the community is cognisant of the gravity of what Indigenous constitutional recognition means, both for Indigenous Australians, but also for society at large. Thus…Thus...I suggest you bring this back to making a judgement call now! :)

4. African NGOs/media achieving change in regards to biopiracy.
The high? low?effectiveness of non-legal groups in rallying for, and achieving, change is exemplified by the bio-piracy case of the African Hoodia Cactus, containing an appetite suppressant drug that was sold without consultation with the San Indigenous peoples, by the CSIR to Pfizer, an American pharmaceutical company. Specifically, the Western drug industry, attracted to the commercial possibilities of the Hoodia Cactus, patented the African drug; with significant repercussions for the Sans people, whose ’ancient knowledge (was) stolen’ (‘In Africa the Hoodia cactus keeps men alive. Now its secret is ‘stolen’ to make us thin’, 2001). Fortunately, recognising the denial of rights that occurred in this biopiracy case, the African media (example) exposed the exploitation of intellectual property. Moreover, the Working Group of Indigenous Minorities in Southern Africa (WIMSA) and Council for Scientific and Industrial Research in South Africa (CSIR) recognised the Sans’ Indigenous peoples’ cultural knowledge, mandating that the Sans people receive profits from CSIR for the sale of the Hoodia Cactus. Therefore, the critical role played by the African media and NGOs in protecting the rights of the Sans people underlines the effectiveness of non-legal groups in recognising the rights of Indigenous peoples.
Really solid case study!
5. Maori - parliamentary seats
Legal measures have been of increasing effectiveness in recognising cultural rights of Indigenous peoples, specifically of their native languages. Recognition of language for Indigenous people described by Roy Ah-See Chairman of Indigenous Land council is “who we are. It’s our identity, it’s country, it’s culture” thus evidently the recognition of language somewhat determines the holistic effectiveness of legal measures in recognising the rights of Indigenous peoples. The protection of culture, thus cultural rights, for Maori people is facilitated somewhat effectively by the Maori Language Act, which serves to recognise Maori as an official language of New Zealand. However, such pivotal political recognition has been fundamentally flawed as at a Waitangi Tribunal it was found the Crown had failed to uphold the Treaty of Waitangi obligations to protect language which “denied and suppressed the right of Maori to use their own language” (Maori Language Bill Amendment to acknowledge Crown “suppression” of “ter reo Maori”. Such denial of cultural rights highlights the limited effectiveness of some legal measures in recognising the rights of Indigenous peoples.

The last two case studies/examples are really strong. I actually learnt about the Maori one this year at Uni and was really fascinated. You've done a really good job here. In my opinion, your latter paragraphs are better than the earlier ones, and I've commented on ways to improve throughout. Your introduction and conclusion are pivotal in an essay, so it is difficult to give you a mark out of 25. If I'm assuming your introduction and conclusion are amazing and are coherently referenced throughout, then I'd probably give you a 20/25. When you link your judgements correctly as often as possible, you'll receive some really great results I think!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2016, 11:46:31 pm »
This is another world order essay I was wondering if you could critique, mainly the coherence of it as whole if that's okay

Hey again Jimmy, happy to help!  ;D

Spoiler
Examine the effectiveness of legal and non-legal responses in relation to the rules regarding the conduct of hostilities.

Legal and non-legal responses are only somewhat effective in relation to the rules regarding the conduct of hostilities. I'd like to see you define the meaning/rationale behind your argument, like defining hostilities, linking to the contemporary threats to security, etc.  The rules regarding the conduct of hostilities outline the principles that regulate the conduct of armed conflict as outlined in The Geneva Conventions 1949. The various legal and non-legal responses that attempt to showcase and enforce rules regarding the conduct of hostilities include various treaties, criminal tribunals, NGOs and the media, all of which differing in their effectiveness. Nice skeleton here, but definitely needs a little more elaboration to give it some muscle.

To provide a legal and enforceable backing to the rules regarding the conduct of hostilities, various treaties and resolutions have been adopted. However some of these treaties such as The Geneva Conventions 1949 and the General assembly resolution A/RES/39/46 are habitually violated. Remember to add a judgement/comment about the effectiveness in your topic sentences, in order to properly address the question. The media article “You Must Follow International Law (Unless You’re American)” (The Nation 2015) highlights the fact that the US is a signatory to both these conventions and states that Jus Cogens applies regardless. After setting this out, it becomes stupefying that America routinely breaches these conventions in Guantánamo bay prison as explicitly expatiated in “Inside Guantanamo Bay: Horrifying pictures show the restraint chairs, feeding tubes and operating theatres used on inmates in terror prison”. Try to avoid emotive language like 'stupefying': remain objective.  While the aforementioned conventions aim to criminalise breaches in rules regarding the conduct of hostilities, it is their lack of enforceability that allows situations such as Guantanamo Bay to occur. Nice paragraph, could use a little more evidence to round out the argument if you can! You really only have a single example.

Other legal responses, such as criminal tribunals, have been used throughout history as a means to secure convictions on individuals who directly contravene rules regarding the conduct of hostilities, with one specifically being the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. While the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide 1948 became international law after the Nuremburg Trials to formally criminalise genocide, there was no international court to convict the perpetrators before the ICC in 2002. Thus, the ICTY was set up to convict criminals who participated in Yugoslavian Genocide under S/RES/827 (1993). Information before this is all great, but not strictly necessary for your examination. You may wish to be a little more succinct and trim it right down to basics. Remember, the focus should be on YOUR examination and opinion.  Established in 1993, it has been functioning consistently for 17 years without fully achieving its desired purpose of convicting all major people involved in the Bosnian genocide, “ICTY laments Failure To Arrest War Crime Suspects” (Balkan Insight 2010). Despite having the enforceability behind them through the proper legislation and the various convictions it has secured, it has been a momentous failure in regards to resource efficiency in both time and cost along with being unresponsive as it is a reactionary court, showcasing its minute ability to respond to breaches in the conduct of hostilities. Excellent points made here. Again though, can you give another example? A single example isn't as effective as a slightly more rounded analysis.

One non-legal response used to address rules regarding the conduct of hostilities are NGOs, with specific focus on The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the International Crisis Group (ICG). The ICRC is an NGO that focuses on educating the world on the rules regarding the conduct of hostilities while also providing assistance and protection to people in wartime. Remember that you can assume the marker knows what the ICRC is; give the absolutely minimum detail possible and go straight into examination! This role played by the ICRC is occurring at the moment regarding the Syrian war, as seen in “Stop the Insanity: ICRC president warns even wars must have their limits” (Intercross Blog 2016), where the president of the ICRC talks with the UN Security Council about the ongoing violations regarding the conduct of hostilities in Syria after medical personnel were killed after an airstrike in Aleppo, Syria. Watch your expression in the opening parts of this paragraph, you might want to cut back on your sentence length a tad. The ideas flow into each other a bit too much and it is a tad confusing! He also praised the S/RES/2286 which condemns attacks against medical workers, but called for “practical measures to be taken” as the ICRC and NGOs lack enforceability. Similarly to the ICRC, the ICG presents facts and figures around ongoing and potential crisis situations, such as Syria. This is seen in “Crisis Group releases landmark report on al-Qaeda and the Islamic state” (Crisis Group 2016), which details the amount of violations of the rules regarding the conduct of hostilities in Syria, explicitly mentioning the tendency for civilian and medical personnel to be attacked as a means of terror. Both the ICRC and the ICG lack enforceability to impose the rules of conduct surrounding hostilities, however both are responsive to the conduct of current hostilities and protect individual rights by presenting their findings to enforceable responses, such as the Security Council.

Another non-legal response that plays a pivotal role in highlighting contemporary issues of rules regarding the conduct of hostilities around the world is the media. Due to the inherent nature of the media, it is not enforceable as it cannot directly combat violations in the rules of conduct in hostilities, but it can display these issues to the world, as seen in the ongoing Syrian conflict where the media routinely portrays the breaches in rules regarding the conduct of hostilities. By drawing attention to these issues, the media draws the awareness of enforceable measures such as the UN and ICJ. Excellent point, well argued. As seen in “Syria Chemical Attack, What We Know” (BBC 2013), the media frequently highlights breaches in the conduct of hostilities. This constant showcasing of issues resulting from Syria has had an international impact as resolutions such as S/RES/2118, which highlights the destruction of all Syria’s chemical weapons as a result of this attack, foregrounding the responsiveness of the media and how they protect individual rights through their influence. However, the media also pick up on the lack of enforceability of certain resolutions, as seen in “Don’t just condemn human rights violations. Stop them” (The Guardian 2016). This article accentuates the inability of S/RES/2286, which states that attacking medical staff is a disregard of international humanitarian law, as after this resolution was engendered, there have been airstrikes on medical personnel. This article calls for more action to be taken towards breaches of rules regarding the conduct of hostilities. The media, like NGOs, lacks enforceability, but demonstrates its effectiveness through its responsiveness to current breaches in the conduct of hostilities and protection of individual rights through referring these breaches to enforceable bodies. This paragraph is really great and focuses more on your own examination, brilliant!

Through a close examination of various legal and non-legal measures, including various treaties, resolutions, criminal tribunals, NGOs and the media, their respective areas of effectiveness and lack of effectiveness are exhibited surrounding the rules regarding the conduct of hostilities. Need a little more muscle here as well: I always went by the advice that a conclusion should be no less than half of the first paragraph (play with rules like this to find something that works for you.

Good essay Jimmy, the ideas work really well! I love some of the points you are making throughout, very clever. A few little expression issue, but primarily my feedback concerns the quality of your analysis. Try to put more than jut a single sentence/point in each paragraph, prove your point in multiple ways  ;D

But yep, you definitely have a coherent essay here, and with a bit of polish you'll be on for a winner!  :D

Kristen Roustas

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2016, 08:52:50 pm »
Hi! I have attached an essay on World Order that I would love some feedback on!

Areas Im concerned with:

-introduction
-coherency throughout the essay
-evaluation of my points
-not sure if I have enough examples/articles

Thanks so much!

Kristen

Son of Thatcher

• Trailblazer
  • "Live free or die."
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2016, 08:56:25 pm »
Hello again friends!

When one of you has some spare time, I was wondering if someone would be able to take a look at this essay on trade unions (in the Workplace topic). Unlike my last legal essay, no time limit on this one so take as much time as you need :D

In particular, I would like some specific feedback on the structure of my essay and the way I have tacked the question. Any other feedback would of course, be welcome also!

Thanks again!
2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

"Be wary of so-called 'pure' intentions, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist"

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2016, 11:39:42 pm »
Hi! I have attached an essay on World Order that I would love some feedback on!

Areas Im concerned with:

-introduction
-coherency throughout the essay
-evaluation of my points
-not sure if I have enough examples/articles

Thanks so much!

Kristen

Hi Kirsten! Welcome to the forums :) Congratulations on your first post  ::)

You're essay is very long, like, 3000 words long. In an exam, you won't be able to write this much, unless you were to basically not complete the other sections :P If this is for an assignment, then you have the benefit of basically having your study notes for the topic, in essay form! Definitely keep this as a resource. But, I have never seen a legal essay this long, so I'm very interested in the assessment that made you write it? :)

Let's mark!
Here is your essay, with my own comments in bold throughout. If something is a recurring problem, I'll just comment it once and then leave an end note:)

Spoiler
Evaluate the legal and non-legal measures adopted by the United Nations to achieve world order
World order refers to the activities and relationships between the world’s states and other non-state global actors that occur within a legal, political and economic framework.  It's great that your definition involves the non-state global actors too! So important!New world order developed at the end of communism Communism hasn't 'ended.' Consider rephrasing this. Do you mean, the Cold War?where states act collectively to address global problems that were beyond the capability of individual state solutions.  The United Nations (UN) is an international organisation founded in 1945, which is governed by world order/aims to govern.  It is committed to maintaining peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations, better living standards and human rights through the utilisation of legal and non-legal measures.  The combination of treaties, peacekeepers, use of force, media, negotiation and persuasion promotes peace, stability, cooperation, compliance and resolution between states. It's not an English essay so the order of what you say things in isn't a huge deal. Buttttt, I'd put the legal and non-legal measures up a bit higher in the intro.
On 26 June 1945, leaders from 51 countries and representatives from non-government organisations (NGOs) formed the UN with the determination that the world would never again experience widespread destruction, following the World Wars.  The UN provides leadership in dealing with global issues through research, reports, conferences, treaties, peacekeeping operations and proving assistance.  Ideally, the UN’s achievement in creating world order is promoting international peace and harmony, reducing conflict and interdependence of states (Article 1 of UN Charter).  However in reality, this is compromised due to balance of power between states where those embodying greater economic, political and cultural power have more influence on world order.  The effectiveness of the UN is dependent on the moral and ethical standards of states to take action and comply with international law (political will). This paragraph hasn't done a lot for the question. You've showed your knowledge of the UN (Great for study notes) but you haven't tackled the question here. This becomes an unnecessary paragraph. Your last sentence is very important though!
The UN Charter is an integral legal measure, which governs the rights/obligations of members and states the purposes of the UN.  All members are bound to the Charter and can be ratified accordingly (nation’s formal declaration of consent to be bound by a treaty and to give it domestic effect).  The Charter can be amended by a two-thirds vote in the UNGA, including five permanent members (P5) of UNSC.  This is seen as ineffective as it is difficult to achieve majority vote in UNGA and takes one permanent member of UNSC to use its veto for the proposed change to be rejected.  The power of veto is granted to each permanent member of UNSC, which can be used to stop a decision.  However, if a permanent member does not fully agree with a proposed resolution but does not wish to cast a veto, it can abstain and allow the resolution to be adopted.  The purposes of the UN are stated in Chapter I Article 1: maintain international peace/security, develop friendly relations among nations and achieve international co-operation in solving problems.  Member states of the UN must abide by and act within the guidelines established in Chapter I Article 2: settle individual disputes through peaceful means, refrain from use of force, provide assistance to the UN and refrain from giving assistance to any state against the UN.  Therefore, the Charter is an effective legal mean that acts as a guide in decision-making of the UN and member states. Absolutely stunning paragraph - your knowledge is displayed wonderfulyl!
The UNSC consists of 15 states including 5 permanent members (USA, UK, France, Russia and China).  Powers of UNSC come from the Charter Chapter V and include maintaining peace/security, determine the existence of any threat or act of aggression, make recommendations, investigate disputes and take military action against an aggressor.  In order for UNSC to take action on a matter, there must be nine votes in favour, including all P5.  All votes from P5 are at risk of the controversial feature, veto, by one member.  The problems of veto were seen in 2012 when China and Russia used their veto against a resolution, which blocked UN action in the Syrian civil war.  US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, described it as “despicable while people were being murdered”.Great quote!!!!  This leads to the growing calls for reforms on P5, which were elected based on their world dominance at the end of World War II.  However, this does not reflect the changing composition of the international society and this is reinforced in former Secretary-General of the UN, Kofi Annan, 2005 report “In Larger Freedom: Towards Development, Security and Human Rights for All”.  Annan calls for expanding the UNSC to ensure democratic representation and supported India, Brazil, Germany and Japan who seek permanent positions.  In the SMH article “India Expects Permanent Security Council Seat within a Year”, India’s ambassador to the UN stated “we are the world's largest democracy, we're going to be a $2 trillion economy, we've had 100 000 peacekeepers and a active participants in all UN social/economic areas...if you look at any criteria, it fits India”.  Hence, the UNSC promotes world order through the Charter and its members, which need to adequately reflect the changing nature of the world.
Under the Charter, the legal measure of force can be authorised in limited circumstances.  This includes in self-defence, by UNSC on behalf of members, recommended by UNGA or by regional organisations with the approval of UNSC.  The problems involving the use of force and UNSC were seen in the Gulf Wars in 1991 and 2003.  The First Gulf War in 1991 was an armed conflict between Iraq and a coalition of 32 nations. It was a result of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in response to overproduction of oil in Kuwait which had cost Iraq $14 billion/year and illegal pumping of oil (President Hussein). 
The UNSC called for Iraq to withdraw, embargoed trade with Iraq and set a deadline for a peaceful withdraw of Iraqi troops from Kuwait.  Due to Hussein’s non-compliance, Operation Desert Storm air war was launched and defeated the Iraqis and liberated Kuwait.  The First Gulf War serves as a prime example of the capabilities of the UN to gather resources, collectively deter aggression and restore peace legally.  However, the UN has been less successful in enforcing agreements designed to bring peace in Iraq and establishing its own force.
Since the 1991 Gulf War, the UN placed economic sanctions on Iraq (arms embargoes, travel bans, financial or diplomatic restrictions).  Former UN Secretary-General stated “sanctions remain a blunt instrument to people who are not primary targets”. Proposals for reform in the use of sanctions have included aiming sanctions specifically at individuals who have violated international law.  The Second Gulf War in 2003 arose because the Iraqi government failed to cooperate with UN weapons inspections and sanctions.  The UNSC passed a resolution offering Iraq a “final opportunity” to cooperate on arms inspections but declared no weapons of mass destruction.  However, Iraq did not cooperate when determining if suspected weapons had been destroyed.  President Bush issued an ultimatum to Hussein which prompted an invasion of Iraq.  By April, Hussein's army and government had collapsed and no weapons of mass destruction were found.  The 2003 military action was not sanctioned by the UNSC and thus was a non-legal mean which many have argued was illegal under international law.  However, the United States did not receive any effective sanction for breaching the rules on the use of force.  Therefore, the UN and its legal measures must have clear communications about the use of force to maintain international peace.
The role of UNGA is to be the main deliberative organ, which consists of 192 members.  It discusses, considers and makes recommendations in scope with the Charter.  UNGA also carries out a quasi-legislative function by adopting resolutions, declarations and conventions.  Resolutions directed towards state conduct are not binding but may have legal force if they are considered as statements of international law of the UN Charter.  The Assembly can also engage in lawmaking through the drafting of bilateral (between two states) and multilateral (between a number of states) treaties which become legal measures among the consenting parties after they have been ratified.  Treaties place an obligation on parties to act in particular ways or adopt certain types of behaviour.  Another main function of the UNGA is defining crimes against the international community (most serious crime of concern and recognised as punishable by the international community) through treaties which include genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes.  This is evident in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights 1966, International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights 1966, Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court 1998 and UN Charter 1945.  As a result, the UNGA have been successful in setting international community expectations through legal measures of treaties.
The DPA is involved in peacemaking, preventative diplomacy and peacekeeping which prevent disputes from escalating, limit the spread of conflicts and ensure lasting peace in societies emerging from war.  The DPA plays a central role in these efforts through monitoring and assessing global political developments, advising the Secretary-General on actions that could escalate, providing support to political missions and assist other UN structures.  Peacemaking and preventive diplomacy is evident when DPA define/plan a mission and provide UN special envoys/mediators with guidance.  UN peacekeepers are deployed after successful peacemaking efforts.
Peacekeeping is the activity of creating conditions for sustainable peace in countries affected by conflict through a force consisting of soldiers, civilian police and personnel.  Peacekeepers assist the implementation of agreements reached between states that have been in conflict by acting as a third party.  Conditions of peacekeeping operations (UNPKO) include parties fully cooperate with the UN, needs UNSC backing, multinational in composition, no force is used except in self-defence and troops remain impartial.  However, the Secretary-General has no automatic right to requisition troops and he must ask for troops from member states and countries have the right to refuse/withdraw peacekeepers if violence is prevailing.  German UN expert, Andreas Zumach, stated an alternative would be forming a UN army and reduce the “begging for contingents”.  As a result, this has increased issues in enforceability and failure of existing law as it is not stated in the UN Charter.  The nature of PKOs has changed overtime with a shift from interstate (conventional war) to intrastate (civil war) conflicts.  The composition of PKOs is also changing with increasing roles in administrators, economists, legal personnel and communication.  Therefore, PKO is evolving to cater for the changing needs of peace globally. 
An ineffective example of a PKO is evident in the Rwandan genocide in 1994 between the Hutu Government and Tutsi rebels where peacekeepers withdrew from the violence.  The UN Assistance Mission for Rwanda (UNAMIR) had been sent to Rwanda to supervise a ceasefire between the Hutus and Tutsis.  However, due to the deaths of PKO in a previous operation in Somalia, the UN was reluctant to invoke enforcement measures and did not disarm militias despite warnings of upcoming violence.  As a result, troops were withdrawn under the UNSC’s Resolution 912 once the violence began due to a lack of resources, limited political will and errors of judgement on the nature of the genocide where 1 million people were murdered in 100 days.  Hence, this calls for PKO to increase capacity for rapid reaction, strengthen command and control structure and making standard arrangements to organise well-trained and equipped troops from member states.
Despite this, a successful PKO was seen in East Timor in 1999 where the UN intervened Indonesia’s control over East Timor since the invasion in 1975.  Due to long-lasting international pressure which condemned the invasion, President Habibie agreed to allow the UN to conduct a referendum on East Timorese independence.  The UNSC established Resolution 1246: ‘Ballot to Decide on Special Autonomy for East Timor’ and UN Mission in East Timor (UNAMET).  After the referendum, where results were in favour of East Timorese independence at 78.5%, a violent reaction from Indonesian militias ensued which killed many people and destroyed 70% of infrastructure.  As a result of Resolution 1246, the International Force for East Timor (INTERFET) was established as a PKO under Australian command which successfully brought East Timor under control and Indonesian troops left.  INTERFET was replaced with the UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) in order to prepare for self-government.  The success of the PKO was also assisted by a range of non-legal means.  The media broadcasted live footage of the Indonesian militias violence which influenced world opinions, diplomatic pressure from former Secretary-General Annan and US President Bill Clinton increased the need for UN intervention and maintained communications between peacekeepers and NGO expertise from the International Crisis Group (ICG) improved education, housing and health after East Timor gained independence.  As a result, the deficiencies in the UN from the Rwandan genocide where improved and applied to East Timor.
Realising that PKO alone is not sufficient to maintain peace, the UNGA and UNSC established a Peace Building Commission (PBC) to extend the period of assistance provided to countries emerging from conflict.  This was created through Resolution 60/180 and 1645 and acts as an advisory body to marshal support and resources for reconstruction, institution-building and sustainable development.  The concept of PBC developed out of recognition that on some occasions, the mandate of PKO was too short term and did not address the long term infrastructure, rule of law and civil society issues left behind by prolonged conflict.  Therefore, long term attention by the global community is achieved to respond to post-conflict recovery and act as an effective law reform from limitations of existing law and institutions.
The media is an effective non-legal measure utilised by the UN to influence community expectations and highlight deficiencies in world order issues.  The UN has a range of media services including websites, radio podcasts, television webcasts, AV libraries, magazines, documents and social networking accounts on Twitter and Facebook.  The UN Radio is an audio media for news for media organisations and individuals.  It is available in many languages including Chinese, Russian and Spanish.  Radio features include access to information regarding PKO, interviews with staff and an analysis on social/political/economic/development/culture issues.  The Journal is an online database on the UN’s website which provides access to documents over the last decade.  It provides the historical records of documents used on any given day which contain information on meetings held and topics discussed.  Services aim to produce an objective view which is free/unbiased.  As a result, this can draw the attention to world order issues and also have the potential influence/pressure on countries violating peace to resolve problems.  For example, the PKO in East Timor achieved its success through the use of media to broadcast live events globally which gained public opposition and the need for peace.  Therefore, the UN’s media services provide access to information regarding world order issues through non-legal means to influence community views.
The non-legal mechanisms for international dispute resolution by the UN include the process of political negotiation and persuasion.  When non-legal means are not successful, legal means such as treaties and force may be used to restore peace and security (carrot and stick method). Negotiation is the simplest and most frequently used means of communicating with other states and resolving issues.  This occurs at many levels of government with experts who can negotiate the details of international agreements.  Negotiation also coincides with peacemaking by the DPA.  As a result, this has increased the scope of greater cooperation.   
Persuasion can change states behaviour through the pressure of global public opinion.  In the form of naming and shaming, the UN can use this strategy through reports that is delivered on a variety of issues and deliberation of its structures (UNSC, UNGA and DPA).  States can also be encouraged to improve their behaviour based on the prospect of their membership to the UN.  For example, China has to increase its trade standards to comply with the rule of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).  This included applying the same tariffs (taxes) rates to all member countries and use internal laws equally to domestic and imported products.  The power of persuasion is also known as soft power that co-opts rather than coerces people/states.  Soft law are any international instruments, other than a treaty, that contains principles and standards of expected behaviour but does not have the legal consequences for non-compliances.  Soft law in this sense can articulate principles that may subsequently develop into binding law.  Therefore, persuasion can have a strong effect through public pressure and non-legal expectations.
Non-government organisations (NGOs) are further legal measures utilised by the UN to establish peace and security.  NGOs are an association based on common interests and goals which have no connection with any government.  Their role includes investigating, researching, educating policy makers/public and lobbying leaders to take action.  The World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) represents and coordinates the membership of 100 national UN Associations (UNAs).  UNAs are national civil society organisations that provide a link between citizens and the UN by seeking to ensure that the UN is relevant to the lives of peoples it exists to serve.  WFUNA is currently pushing for the creation of another NGO, UN Peace Service (UNEPS) which can intervene quickly in a crisis within 48-72 hours rather than months.  Military services, negotiators and specialists would be combined to rebuild infrastructure and reduce deaths.  Therefore NGOs serve as a non-legal measure that is invested into the global community without political agendas.
The combination of legal and non-legal measures is utilised by the UN to achieve world order with the common aim of accomplishing peace and security.  The legal measures evident in the UN Charter, use of force, treaties, peacemaking, peacekeeping and peace-building act as a binding force and monitoring system for member states of the UN to obey obligations and expectations.  The use of non-legal measures such as persuasion, negotiation, NGOs and the media apply pressure for nations to behave in a safe manner.  Therefore, the UN is a prime mean to attain world order through the complementary nature of legal and non-legal measures. In the conclusion, you haven't finished with a judgement to sum it all up. You've summarised your points, but not exactly your view of the effectiveness.

I unexpectedly didn't write a whole lot in this. The reason is, your structure is wonderful, your content is wonderful, your knowledge is wonderful. The very few minor areas to be worked on, I commented on. Honestly and truly, this is great. However - it is extremely long. I think you should approach this question with a time limit, or word limit, and see which information you think is the most important, and see how much you can fit in that time! You've done so much work here! But in the HSC exam, it is about what you can show in those hours - not the 3000 word essay at home.
You should be so proud, congratulations! :)

PS. I usually comment far more throughout - but this was hard to fault.

Kristen Roustas

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2016, 12:13:22 am »
haha yeah it is very long! Its for an assignment due on Tuesday and the word limit is 3000 words.
Thanks so much for your comments :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »
haha yeah it is very long! Its for an assignment due on Tuesday and the word limit is 3000 words.
Thanks so much for your comments :)

This will be SUCH an EXCELLENT resource for you! I bet your teacher had this in mind ;)

shazzzzzz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2016, 04:46:47 pm »
Hello, I need some help with my crime and consumer essays!

Crime essay, I gave my teacher this as a practice and they said it was a definite 13/15 and they gave me some pointers but I'm still not sure how to improve it
- My introductions and conclusions are VERY weak
- My evaluations and incorporation for evidence could be better but I'm not sure how I can improve it (can you show me through an example how to improve it?)

Consumer essay, I wrote this for a question I had gotten in an exam, haven't completed it but I would like to know if I'm on the right path, my concerns are
- evaluation
- if i'm answering the question

If there are any issues or things I could do better even if it's small tell me, I need all the criticism I can get

My biggest problem is being able to think on the spot and write all of this information in 40 minutes, it's a bit overwhelming, especially with crime where it can be so specific at times, so could you give me some pointers on how to do that?

Thank you so much, and I truly appreciate your help  :D :D :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2016, 05:06:49 pm »
As a heads up to anyone needing some feedback this weekend (including those with marking outstanding), tomorrow ATAR Notes is holding a free event at ICMS in Sydney! As such, while we're busy with that, marking will likely be delayed over the weekend to Sunday or Monday. Apologies for the inconvenience!  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2016, 10:36:16 pm »
Hello again friends!

When one of you has some spare time, I was wondering if someone would be able to take a look at this essay on trade unions (in the Workplace topic). Unlike my last legal essay, no time limit on this one so take as much time as you need :D

In particular, I would like some specific feedback on the structure of my essay and the way I have tacked the question. Any other feedback would of course, be welcome also!

Thanks again!

Hey there! I'll have a look :)

You know the drill, comments in bold throughout :)
Spoiler
Assess the effectiveness of trade unions in protecting workplace rights

Trade unions, associations of workers with a common goal of improving working conditions, have been for the most part, extremely effective in protecting workplace rights. Although declining in effectiveness contemporarily, awkward word here, perhaps, "in recent/modern times"? trade unions in the past were immensely consequential in safeguarding basic workplace rights. Nevertheless, despite this diminishing influence, it is irrefutable that historically, trade unions have been extremely effective in upholding workplace rights.  I'd perhaps add a tiny tiny bit of context to beef up this intro - perhaps saying that the labor movement, the trade union movement, blah blah, gained momentum in the decade of .... (I don't know when). This might give you just a little more to anchor the essay in at the start. I see you've mentioned the history throughout, but start it here :) Great judgement, by the way! Really unique.

Trade unions have played an extremely effective role during the early years of federation. Of critical importance was the establishment of Australia’s principal workplace tribunal, the Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration, established under the Conciliation and Arbitration Act 1904 (Cth). This act, largely advocated for by the burgeoning trade union movement, represents an extremely effective attempt aimed at safeguarding workplace rights, emphasising the importance of conciliation and arbitration as alternative dispute resolution mechanism and ensuring that workers were able to have their cases heard. Further, the court was also bequeathed unprecedented power to determine and enforce an award, enshrining basic employee rights and minimum conditions in a manner that was significantly effective in protecting workplace rights. This principle of fair working terms and conditions was further affirmed in Ex parte H.V McKay (1907), which established a living wage for workers. Although trade unions were not directly affiliated with this case, it is evident that their advocacy of worker’s rights clearly influenced the decision of the bench which in turn, positively impacted workplace rights for many years. As a result of trade union activity in this instance, Australia was already in compliance with the precepts elaborated by the constitution of the International Labor Organisation (ILO) established in 1919, an international organisation dedicated to promoting worker’s rights. Hence trade unions have undoubtedly played a key and effective role in safeguarding workplace rights during Australia’s early federation years. This is wonderful! Great knowledge, no waffling, clear dates, a case study, and analysis! Seriously, AMAZING!

Moreover, trade unions have exercised a both pivotal and effective role in promoting workplace rights, chiefly through their opposition to WorkChoices. Again, another brilliant and unique thesis!As a result of the Workplace Relations Amendment (WorkChoices) Bill 2005 (Cth) workplace rights had been severely curtailed, eliminating the ‘no-disadvantage test’ and restricting the ability of unions to engage in collective bargaining. For instance, Simon Kokinovski, a worker at the Arrowcrest Group’s Tristar factory was fired without any redundancy payout. This was only made possible under the WorkChoices and unions were unable to effectively fight for his employee rights as their bargaining power had been depleted. (‘No WorkChoices at the 'Torture Factory’, The Sydney Morning Herald, 2007). As I was reading this, I thought "mmm..I hope there's evidence to back this up for a marker" and then I see the media article! Spot on!In response, trade unions once again demonstrated their effectiveness in advocating for workplace rights via their staunch opposition to this legislation. Led by their peak body, the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), trade unions strongly campaigned against the legislation, launching the‘Your Rights At Work’ information campaign, a programme aimed at raising collective awareness of workplace rights. As a direct result of trade union advocacy, the incumbent Coalition government was defeated and WorkChoices repealed. These developments therefore illustrate the efficacy of trade unions in not only protecting worker’s rights by opposition harmful legislation, but also an ability to guide public opinion towards greater acceptance of employee rights.Thus, the effectiveness of trade unions is aptly illustrated through their opposition to the WorkChoices policy. I love a paragraph that ends how it should. Yours always do!

Additionally, the effectiveness of trade unions is further emphasised through their involvement in establishing the Fair Work Commission (FWC) and in formulating the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth). Restoring Australia’s compliance with the ILO Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work (2008), the act not only removed the deleterious provisions of the previous WorkChoices legislation, but also enshrined under statute law, a commitment to upholding workplace rights across Australia. This is evident through such landmark reforms like the codification of a 38 hour working week as one of  10 National Employment Standards elucidated in the act. The FWC has also been an extremely effective measure in upholding workplace rights, achieved largely to the pressure exerted by trade unions on government, ensuring greater access to dispute resolution mechanisms such as the Fair Work Ombudsman. The advocacy of trade unions has also ensured that a national minimum wage has been established and protected, determined by the FWC annually, further illustrating their efficacy. Hence, the success of the Fair Work Act and the prominent role that trade unions played in developing the legislation, encapsulates the effectiveness of trade unions in advocating for workplace rights.

On the other hand however, in recent years, particularly following the successful passage of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), the effectiveness of trade unions in promoting workplace rights has precipitously diminished. This has primarily occurred due to an acceleration in the decline of trade union membership. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, less than 15% of all Australian workers apart of a trade union. This decline therefore reflects the diminishing clout that trade unions possess, thereby illustrating a clear and growing limitation on their effectiveness in promoting workplace rights. Ironically, the efficacy of trade unions has been further eroded due to their previous success. Having achieved over a century of progress on workplace rights, trade unions are now perceived as though unnecessary. A 2014 poll conducted by the Canberra Times, vindicates this, with 65% of those surveyed believing unions no longer had any effect on the operation of their workplace. Finding the name for this poll and perhaps the publication date is very important. At the moment it sounds a bit airy fairy. I don't think you made it up, of course, but you need to leave no doubt! :) This apathetic attitude has meant that trade unions are not as influential as they once were in effectuating workplace change, therefore hampering their effectiveness.

Furthermore, the effectiveness of trade unions as vehicles for improving workplace rights has declined as the public image of unions has become tarnished. Cases of corruption have damaged the reputation of trade unions as bodies purely interested in advancing the rights of its members. For instance, scandal such as that surrounding the Australian Workers Union (AWU) in which the union was reported to have conscripted bikie gangs to collect outstanding debt has no doubt, adversely affected the perception of trade unions. (‘Trade Unions Using Bikies to Collect Debts’, The Australian, 2016). This is again emphasised in FWA v Thompson (2015) in which disgraced Labor parliamentarian, Craig Thompson, was found guilty of defrauding the Health Services Union, whose members he was supposed to represent. Collectively, these incidences of ethically dubious behaviour have severely damaged the reputation of trade unions and thus, have limited their effectiveness in promoting workplace rights due to the increasing negative publicity. Hence, it is clear that the effectiveness of trade unions as mechanisms for protecting workplace rights has been severely depleted.

In essence, it is clear that on the whole, trade unions have historically been extremely effective in not only establishing, but improving workplace rights across Australia. Despite decreasing effectiveness and influence in the modern age however, trade unions nevertheless still play an important role in protecting workplace rights. Two sentences for a conclusion doesn't quite to justice to the amazing essay I just read. Explicitly talk about some of the examples you gave, if you think that will work. That is my suggestion :)

I'm so pleased to say that this is the work of a Band 6 student! Congratulations. You've done an excellent job here. Your structure isn't flawed, in my opinion! Any little things that would benefit from tidying up, I mentioned :) Your inclusion of media articles and case studies is very smooth. If you had the opportunity, I'd try provide a case study in each paragraph (only because you're at such a high level already). This won't be easy, or perhaps even possible. I haven't studied workplace so I'm not sure. But if you can find a few little extra ones here or there that have some worth, name drop them in :)

I hope this helps, although I definitely didn't help a lot! You've got this one down pat. Feel free to edit and repost at a later date if you want us to have another look with fresh eyes. I do worry that because there is so much accurate, fine details here, that you won't be able to remember all of this so seamlessly in an exam. Is this for an assignment?

All the best :)

gabsspencer

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2016, 11:17:12 am »
Hello!

This is an legal essay on Indigenous People, and although it isn't a very popular choice for the HSC, I was just wondering if I was please able to recieve some external feedback and a rough mark out of 25 if there was time.

Many thanks!

QUESTION: To what extent have legal and non-legal measures been effective in recognising Indigenous People's rights?

Introduction:
The role legal and non-legal responses have, to a large extent, been effective in enhancing the recognition and assimilation of indigenous people’s (IP) culture, land, and intellectual property rights into the national identity, as the moral weight of international measures, a lack of indigenous autonomy and judicial rulings continues to drive political momentum for domestic reform.

However, with minority indigenous groups such as the Torres Strait Islanders, Maoris, Sami’s, Khosan’s and San facing continued repression from overhanging colonial and constitutional conformity, there is an increasing call for long overdue legal and non-legal interventions to redress the long-term conflicts of land tenure and self-determination.

Topic 1:

Historically marginalised and disadvantaged, indigenous groups are increasingly represented by legal and non-legal international bodies and frameworks such as the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Peoples, and the ICCPR weight at the national level.

With the UN IGO, International Labour Organisations endorsing the 1989 International Convention on Indigenous and Tribal Peoples (ILO 169) - the first legally binding instrument exclusively protecting indigenous people and non-consensual developments on tribal lands, was established. However, with only 22 countries having ratified it, it’s effectiveness in forging beneficial partnerships, has been severely limited. For example, despite Finland’s criticism by the European Council for failing to ratify ILO 169, this disregard for international standards continues unabated with the recently enacted Finnish Forestry Act 2016. The provisions fails to “contain valuable safeguards for Sami people’s traditional livelihoods, lands, territories and resources” warned the indigenous UN Special Rapporteur, Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, with no informed consent required for railway, mining and forestry projects. Thus, this legal measure has quashed the Sami self-determination, by obstructing the cultural and economic benefits afforded by the land.

However, to help counter state overreach, the NGO’s Greenpeace article, “Victory for Greenpeace and Reindeer in Lapland”, successfully raised social awareness for the demarcation of tribal lands. By subsequently pressurizing the Finnish government to implement a 20-year logging moratorium and establishing a reindeer Forest Rescue Station, the Sami’s livelihood and cultural rights were protected more effectively.

Additionally, the UN Human Rights Committee (HRC)’s international watching brief continues to ensure compliance and enforcement of the ICCPR, as seen in the Sandra Lovelace v Canada 1977 HRC case, where Lovelace successfully argued that Canada’s Indian Act 1876 violated Articles 26 and 27 of the ICCPR, as it stripped women of their inherent Indian status upon marrying externally. This outcome subsequently compelled the government to enact the Indian Amendment Act 1985 and reinstate the lost status of 95,429 persons (ESCR) thus emphasising the effectiveness of legal and non-legal international interventions in formally recognising indigenous cultural rights.

Point 2:

Furthermore, with indigenous lawyer Noel Pearson, rightly stating that, “redressing disadvantage … depends on indigenous people having the power to make decisions that affect them”, the plight of constitutional recognition and parliamentary representation has increasingly relied on legal and non-legal mechanisms.

Although Australian Aboriginal activism precipitated the landmark 1967 Referendum, and resulted in their inclusion in the national census, the detrimental consequences of the government’s new power to legislate over indigenous affairs emerged, in the case of the “Little Children are Sacred” child abuse report, when it suspended the Racial Discrimination Act 1975, and hastily contrived the 2007 NT Intervention policy. Relying on the report’s allegations to build consensus, the policy’s harsh law enforcement and welfare quarantining provisions, earned it a severe rebuke for flagrant overreach and power abuse by the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination. Having portrayed the referendum as symbolic and ineffective, the NGO, Recognise renewed its efforts to drive the social and political agenda for the full inclusion of ATSI in the Australian Constitution, and eradicate any residual racial discrimination provisions, such as, Section 51- “the race power”.

In stark contrast, the seven dedicated Maori seats in the NZ Parliament, and the prominent Treaty of Waitangi established a system of land and property rights, such as the Kaimoana Customary Fishing Regulation 1998, which extended the protection of their fishery livelihoods, and enhanced self-determination.

Elsewhere however, despite the San people comprising 3.3% of the South African population, the country’s Constitution continues to underrepresent this minority and propagate the exploitation of tribal land and resources. For example, in the Hoodia Plant case, The Observer 2011 newspaper, detailed the infringement of the San’s intellectual property rights by a British pharmaceutical company, which patented a native plant’s appetite suppressing ingredient, without consultation or consent. As a counter, the NGOs Working Group of Indigenous Minorities in SA and Biowatch, raised public awareness of the San’s plight, and subsequently established the Hoodia Benefit Sharing Trust, which secured their entitlement to royalties, and highlighted the importance of non-legal intervention to ensure indigenous representation.

Point 3:

Furthermore, although WIPO Director General Francis Gurry stated, “intangible cultural heritage is prone to what is perceived by many as misappropriation and misuse”, judicial rulings and non-legal consultations have increasingly exerted pressure on sovereign states to redress indigenous grievances.

For example, the Australian High Court’s landmark ruling of the Mabo v Queensland (2) 1992, established the Native Title doctrine and subsequently paved the way for the Native Title Act 1993 thereby creating a uniform framework for the registration and recognition of land claims and rights. Although, Mabo’s non-legal prior consultation with Henry Reynolds, a James Cook University history academic, was effective in catalysing the case and led to the realisation that he had a potential claim to the Murray Islands land, no explicit determination regarding ATSI sovereignty arose from the Mabo decision. With the Howard government narrowing the definition of native title, and hastily enacting the Native Title Amendment Act 1998, this increased burden of proof on ATSI exposed an ineffective application of state sovereignty, and saw Justice Robert French rightly proposing a reversal, such that all claimants were presumed to have a “continuous existence and vitality since sovereignty”.

Elsewhere, whilst the independent judicial reviews by the European Court on Human Rights uphold the rights of indigenous people, in the case of Handolsdalen Sami Village v Sweden, the court ruled that the Sami were indeed liable for the Swedish state’s large legal costs, despite their claim under Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights- access to courts. In spite of concerted judicial efforts to recognise indigenous rights at domestic and international levels, the case highlights the inherent difficulties faced by traditional land owners when confronting state or privately controlled organisations.

Conclusion:
Thus, with issues of land tenure and minimal autonomy persisting, one would like to see, over the next three years, maximum inclusion of indigenous rights within national charters, as well as greater legal and non-legal international and domestic resources to ensure a political and social climate conducive to fair deliberation, whilst leveraging positive change for indigenous rights.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2016, 12:33:29 am »

Crime essay, I gave my teacher this as a practice and they said it was a definite 13/15 and they gave me some pointers but I'm still not sure how to improve it
- My introductions and conclusions are VERY weak
- My evaluations and incorporation for evidence could be better but I'm not sure how I can improve it (can you show me through an example how to improve it?)

My biggest problem is being able to think on the spot and write all of this information in 40 minutes, it's a bit overwhelming, especially with crime where it can be so specific at times, so could you give me some pointers on how to do that?

Hey Shaz!! Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting your essays, apologies for the wait on getting your feedback, busy weekend for the markers!!  ;D

Okay, so I'm going to give you feedback on the Crime essay right now (focusing on the areas you mentioned), then I want to mark gabsspencer's essay below before coming back for your Consumer one, try and make it as fair as possible  ;D

Away we go! Essay is in the spoiler below with comments in bold  :)

Spoiler
Evaluate the role of discretion in the criminal justice system.

Discretion plays an important role in achieving justice in the criminal justice system however it does so to a mixed level of success. So this works, but it is very simplistic, you can definitely add some meat. Some things to consider: WHY is discretion an important part of the justice system? Would we work better with it or without it? What is good? What is bad? Delve into this more. The criminal justice system allows for discretion to play a part in many areas such as the usage of police powers, the utilisation of the adversary system, statutory and judicial guidelines as well as the types of penalties available. Good list here to set the structure of the essay. Through various pieces of legislation in particular the Crimes Act 2009 (NSW) discretion has been both increased and reduced in numerous areas. You need a more conclusive sentence that, pretty much, says YAY or NAY about discretion, or somewhere in between, but it must be clear where you stand.

Judicial discretion plays a mixed part in sentencing due to the statutory and judicial guidelines in place. Slightly awkward wording here. The Crimes (Sentencing) Act 1999 NSW sets out guidelines for courts to use when sentencing offenders and compels them to follow the same method of chosen cases for sentencing. A judge’s discretion is important in sentencing and can be constrained by standard non-parole periods and mandatory sentences. I added this full stop, you definitely need a break there. Despite this Chief Justice Spigelman asserts in R v Jurisic (1998) that a judge’s discretion is not restricted by these guidelines rather their discretion is given structure, allowing for more consistency and predictability in the sentencing process. Relate THIS point to the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of discretion. Conversely, in the article, ‘Putting the truth into sentencing’, SMH, 2010, the system has been criticised by numerous judges, as limiting their discretion by making them use strict checklists and not common law principles adversely impacts the administration of justice. Furthermore, the NSW Law Reform Commission denounced the Crimes (Sentencing) Act 1999, stating that sentencing needs to fit the individual circumstances and that any discretion a court may exercise should not be taken away. Therefore, due to statutory and judicial guidelines, discretion is utilised in the criminal justice system to a mixed extent. Solid paragraph! Lots of nice points made, would like to see the judgement made a little clearer.

Police have considerable discretion in the powers they are able to utilise in investigations in particular the use of TASERS (electroshock weapon) in the course of arrest with these powers achieving justice to mixed levels. Try to include your judgement in every topic sentence and every conclusive sentence: That is the focus of this paragraph. TASERS are utilised by police against individuals who resist arrest and are a less lethal response than guns allowing for offenders to be apprehended more safely. Unnecessary detail, the marker knows what a taser is! The availability of TASERS as an option to demobilise people allows police at their own discretion to make arrests in a safer manner leading to more just outcomes. Good.  In the article, ‘Police defend using Tasers’- SMH, 2010, it is argued by the NSW Police Association President that the majority of situations where TASERS have been deployed were successfully resolved indicating that police have used their discretion correctly. Any statistic to back this? However the case of Roberto Curti, who died after being tasered 14 times, suggested a different story, revealing the consequences of police using TASERS and in turn their discretion erroneously . In the article ‘Ombudsman slams police for taser use’ –SMH, 2012, the NSW Ombudsman report found that TASERS were misused in 14% of cases, with most victims of taser use being mentally ill or without weapon raising concerns as to whether police were appropriately using the tool to achieve justice. Finding and referencing the REPORT itself would be more effective here than the media article. Henceforth, the discretion of police in their usage of TASERS has both effective and ineffective implications in their delivery of justice.

Individuals are able to utilise their discretion to mixed levels in the adversary system, with areas like charge negotiation heavily reliant on one’s discretion. Good or bad? The ability to decide the conduct and course of one’s case is essential in charge negotiation which is fundamentally discretionary, as it is dependent on the prosecution making the decision to negotiate and the defendant making the choice to plead guilty. Adversely, charge negotiation fails to take into consideration the decisions of victims, restricting the level of discretion victims can exert in court. Oh that's a cool point, I like! In the article, ‘Victims ignored in plea deals’ –SMH 2009, the NSW Police Association raised concerns that many defendants were negotiating their way to lesser charges without appropriate consultation with the police and victims. These concerns were confirmed in the case of Shane Miles (2010), where the family of the victim were not kept fully informed of the charge negotiation process, resulting in feelings of injustice as they’re influence over the case and in turn their discretion was restricted. If possible, always try to reference cases in the form R v Miles (2010).. In consideration of these points one will find that discretion can be applied in the adversary system, notably charge negotiation, to varied degrees. That is an argument I've not seen before, very nice!

Magistrates and judges use their discretion to a mixed degree when deciding the type of penalty an offender will face, which involves making choices that achieve the purposes of punishment (rehabilitation, retribution, incapacitation, deterrence). I think this paragraph would be better merged with the first one under judicial discretion! Breaches of the law must be addressed and are done so through a variety of penalties, home detention, diversionary programs and imprisonment.  Judicial officers effectively use their discretion in deciding the type of penalty an offender will face and whether the penalty is suitable in regards to achieving the purpose of punishment. When a judge has concluded that an offender has reasonable potential of rehabilitating they can at their own discretion sentence an offender to complete a diversionary program which has been found by BOCSAR to reduce reoffending by 37%. On the other hand the penalty of imprisonment has been found by BOCSAR to be an ineffective deterrent against crime (with 41% of released prisoners back in 3 years) and at the discretion of judges been a penalty given out too quickly. Nice use of statistics, its amazing how much this sort of thing adds. In the article ‘Prison is an expensive way to encourage crime’ SMH, 2010 BOCSAR found prison turned offenders in worse criminals, asserting it was unwise to imprison someone for the sole purpose of deterrence, recommending to judges other purposes of punishment were necessary for effective results. Discretion is of a mixed importance when a judge considers the type of penalties they will administer.

The criminal justice system utilises discretion in a range of areas, the usage of TASERS, the type of penalties, charge negotiation and guideline sentencing but in light of this it is applied only to a mixed level. Discretion is a vital part of the administration of justice however it can constrained by legislation such as the Crimes Act 1999 (NSW) but it can also be structured, giving it strength. This conclusion definitely needs more meat; but once you fix up the Thesis, this will follow naturally. Re-state the main idea (very similarly to Thesis. List what you've discussed, then make your final judgement based on your arguments. In that order. It should take about 4 sentences.

Okay, so there are comments throughout, but let me focus on those two bits of feedback.

I definitely agree that your introduction and conclusion need some work. Basically, you need to delve a bit more into the rationale behind your essay, why discretion is worth writing about in the first place. Things like, "Why is discretion even necessary in the first place?", "What are some positives and negatives?" for example. Try thinking about some of these things and starting with that, and only then launching into a list of where it appears. Further, use this to be more specific with your evaluation. Yes, you say somewhat effective, but why?

I think your inclusion of evidence and judgement is mainly a matter of expression. You have all the pieces! It's just about expressing it all together in a nice little package. You need the legislation/case/report/evidence you are using, your analysis of it in terms of discretion, PLUS your judgement. You would also, ideally, flow from one to another in a nice way. For example:

The maximum penalties within the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999 (NSW) enable the use of judicial discretion; an effective mechanism for ensuring just outcomes as the decisions become reflective of modern social standards, and not wholly dependent on stagnant legislative principles. Such discretion was successfully applied in the case of ______ ...

Notice that I don't give any unnecessary detail, the judgement is the key, and importanty, I justify it. I don't just go: evidence, good, next; I explain why it is effective/ineffective.

That last part is a loaded question (I could write pages and pages on it), I'd be happy to lend some more help over on our Legal Studies Question Thread!

I hope this helps as a rough start for you, feel free to post individual paragraphs as you work to improve the response, but it works really well already!! Great work Shaz, and I'll be back with your consumer feedback ASAP  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2016, 11:32:50 pm »
Hello!

This is an legal essay on Indigenous People, and although it isn't a very popular choice for the HSC, I was just wondering if I was please able to recieve some external feedback and a rough mark out of 25 if there was time.

Many thanks!

Hey there! Welcome to the forums!!  ;D I'd be happy to give some rough feedback! I didn't do the Option though, so take it with a grain of salt  :D

Spoiler
To what extent have legal and non-legal measures been effective in recognising Indigenous People's rights?

The role legal and non-legal responses have, to a large extent, been effective in enhancing the recognition and assimilation of indigenous people’s (IP) culture, land, and intellectual property rights into the national identity, as the moral weight of international measures, a lack of indigenous autonomy and judicial rulings continues to drive political momentum for domestic reform. I like this! The wording is a little bit messy though, doesn't quite read smoothly, try fixing that up!

However, with minority indigenous groups such as the Torres Strait Islanders, Maoris, Sami’s, Khosan’s and San facing continued repression from overhanging colonial and constitutional conformity, there is an increasing call for long overdue legal and non-legal interventions to redress the long-term conflicts of land tenure and self-determination. Good intro, but I think it needs more meat (two sentences is definitely not enough). Add some justification of why the topic is important for discussion, and remember to add your judgement (this is an evaluation question and you must state your position on the matter definitively.

Topic 1

Historically marginalised and disadvantaged, indigenous groups are increasingly represented by legal and non-legal international bodies and frameworks such as the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Peoples, and the ICCPR weight at the national level. Try to integrate a judgement in the start of every sentence: Are these frameworks effective or ineffective?

With the UN IGO, International Labour Organisations endorsing the 1989 International Convention on Indigenous and Tribal Peoples (ILO 169) - the first legally binding instrument exclusively protecting indigenous people and non-consensual developments on tribal lands, was established. However, with only 22 countries having ratified it, it’s effectiveness in forging beneficial partnerships, has been severely limited. For example, despite Finland’s criticism by the European Council for failing to ratify ILO 169, this disregard for international standards continues unabated with the recently enacted Finnish Forestry Act 2016. Excellent analysis and example! The provisions fails to “contain valuable safeguards for Sami people’s traditional livelihoods, lands, territories and resources” warned the indigenous UN Special Rapporteur, Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, with no informed consent required for railway, mining and forestry projects. Thus, this legal measure has quashed the Sami self-determination, by obstructing the cultural and economic benefits afforded by the land. Great examples!! You could try making the wording a little more succinct, but on the whole the evidence is fantastic!

However, to help counter state overreach, the NGO’s Greenpeace article, “Victory for Greenpeace and Reindeer in Lapland”, successfully raised social awareness for the demarcation of tribal lands. By subsequently pressurizing the Finnish government to implement a 20-year logging moratorium and establishing a reindeer Forest Rescue Station, the Sami’s livelihood and cultural rights were protected more effectively. Work on creating 3 complete paragraphs that focus on a single topic: This has strayed from the topic at hand.

Additionally, the UN Human Rights Committee (HRC)’s international watching brief continues to ensure compliance and enforcement of the ICCPR, as seen in the Sandra Lovelace v Canada 1977 HRC case, where Lovelace successfully argued that Canada’s Indian Act 1876 violated Articles 26 and 27 of the ICCPR, as it stripped women of their inherent Indian status upon marrying externally. This outcome subsequently compelled the government to enact the Indian Amendment Act 1985 and reinstate the lost status of 95,429 persons (ESCR) thus emphasising the effectiveness of legal and non-legal international interventions in formally recognising indigenous cultural rights. Effective approach overall! I think you just need to tidy up the structure of the ideas, get it all into one flowing paragraph.

Point 2:

Furthermore, with indigenous lawyer Noel Pearson, rightly stating that, “redressing disadvantage … depends on indigenous people having the power to make decisions that affect them”, the plight of constitutional recognition and parliamentary representation has increasingly relied on legal and non-legal mechanisms.

Although Australian Aboriginal activism precipitated the landmark 1967 Referendum, and resulted in their inclusion in the national census, the detrimental consequences of the government’s new power to legislate over indigenous affairs emerged, in the case of the “Little Children are Sacred” child abuse report, when it suspended the Racial Discrimination Act 1975, and hastily contrived the 2007 NT Intervention policy. Be careful sentences do not flow on too long, this one was a bit of a mouthful! Relying on the report’s allegations to build consensus, the policy’s harsh law enforcement and welfare quarantining provisions, earned it a severe rebuke for flagrant overreach and power abuse by the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination. Having portrayed the referendum as symbolic and ineffective, the NGO, Recognise renewed its efforts to drive the social and political agenda for the full inclusion of ATSI in the Australian Constitution, and eradicate any residual racial discrimination provisions, such as, Section 51- “the race power”. Remember to continually link your examples to a judgement: Thus, effective because ______, ineffective because ______, etc.

In stark contrast, the seven dedicated Maori seats in the NZ Parliament, and the prominent Treaty of Waitangi established a system of land and property rights, such as the Kaimoana Customary Fishing Regulation 1998, which extended the protection of their fishery livelihoods, and enhanced self-determination. Slightly messy expression here.

Elsewhere however, despite the San people comprising 3.3% of the South African population, the country’s Constitution continues to underrepresent this minority and propagate the exploitation of tribal land and resources. For example, in the Hoodia Plant case, The Observer 2011 newspaper, detailed the infringement of the San’s intellectual property rights by a British pharmaceutical company, which patented a native plant’s appetite suppressing ingredient, without consultation or consent. As a counter, the NGOs Working Group of Indigenous Minorities in SA and Biowatch, raised public awareness of the San’s plight, and subsequently established the Hoodia Benefit Sharing Trust, which secured their entitlement to royalties, and highlighted the importance of non-legal intervention to ensure indigenous representation.

Point 3:

Furthermore, although WIPO Director General Francis Gurry stated, “intangible cultural heritage is prone to what is perceived by many as misappropriation and misuse”, judicial rulings and non-legal consultations have increasingly exerted pressure on sovereign states to redress indigenous grievances. I like your inclusion of quotes to start your argument! Cool touch!  ;D

For example, the Australian High Court’s landmark ruling of the Mabo v Queensland (2) 1992, established the Native Title doctrine and subsequently paved the way for the Native Title Act 1993 thereby creating a uniform framework for the registration and recognition of land claims and rights. Although, Mabo’s non-legal prior consultation with Henry Reynolds, a James Cook University history academic, was effective in catalysing the case and led to the realisation that he had a potential claim to the Murray Islands land, no explicit determination regarding ATSI sovereignty arose from the Mabo decision. With the Howard government narrowing the definition of native title, and hastily enacting the Native Title Amendment Act 1998, this increased burden of proof on ATSI exposed an ineffective application of state sovereignty, and saw Justice Robert French rightly proposing a reversal, such that all claimants were presumed to have a “continuous existence and vitality since sovereignty”.

Elsewhere, whilst the independent judicial reviews by the European Court on Human Rights uphold the rights of indigenous people, in the case of Handolsdalen Sami Village v Sweden, the court ruled that the Sami were indeed liable for the Swedish state’s large legal costs, despite their claim under Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights- access to courts. In spite of concerted judicial efforts to recognise indigenous rights at domestic and international levels, the case highlights the inherent difficulties faced by traditional land owners when confronting state or privately controlled organisations.

Conclusion:
Thus, with issues of land tenure and minimal autonomy persisting, one would like to see, over the next three years, maximum inclusion of indigenous rights within national charters, as well as greater legal and non-legal international and domestic resources to ensure a political and social climate conducive to fair deliberation, whilst leveraging positive change for indigenous rights. Definitely need a little more meat to this conclusion as well. Re-state your Thesis, re-list the arguments you have made, and make YOUR judgement (Good, Bad, Ugly) extremely clear.

Not too many comments throughout, I like this essay! Lots of really great ideas, definitely plenty of evidence and examples, you clearly know the content really well (at least from an outsider perspective)!

I'll give two recommendations for improvement; the first being structure. Your structure needs a bit of a polish in several areas. A stronger Thesis paragraph and a stronger conclusion; both of which need to integrate your judgement more clearly. This is an evaluate question, your judgement must be obvious in the beginning and end of the response. Work on being more succinct in your paragraphs to get everything into three distinct paragraphs. You shouldn't need separation within each, the ideas should be well grouped enough to flow together in one complete, logical argument. Remember to integrate your judgement through your examples as well; EG - Thus showing the effectiveness of _______ in recognising indigenous self determination.

Feel free to give this article a read for some extra help with creating and maintaining a Thesis.

My second tip would simply be expression. Work on omitting unnecessary details, being explicit with your judgements, and watch your sentence length. Some sentences are a little long and flow on to new ideas without any separation. It adds effort for the marker, which is never a good thing for a tired HSC Legal marker close to Christmas  ;)

I'd say this is a Band 5 range response (so around the 20/25 mark), but again, I didn't do this Option, so I'm totally unqualified to give that opinion  ;) but you have fantastic ideas, content knowledge is awesome! Great work!  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2016, 12:00:43 am »

Consumer essay, I wrote this for a question I had gotten in an exam, haven't completed it but I would like to know if I'm on the right path, my concerns are
- evaluation
- if i'm answering the question

If there are any issues or things I could do better even if it's small tell me, I need all the criticism I can get

Okay, we're back!! Hope the Crime feedback was useful for you, I'll tackle the consumers essay now! I didn't do this module, so take my word with a grain of salt here; if in doubt, ask your teacher!  ;D

Spoiler
Outline the developing need for consumer protection and examine the effectiveness of the law in dealing with unfair consumer goods and services contracts.

The need for consumer protection has grown overtime. 'Over time', the space is essential there. Prior to the industrial era the notion of caveat emptor (the responsibility was upon the consumers to protect themselves against exploitation) was heavily employed as the assumption was buyers and sellers were on equal footing. However post-industrial era, a power imbalance arose as buyers were unable to properly protect themselves, bringing caveat emptor into question. Nice rationale to lead you in! Perhaps work on tidying up expression a little! Modern consumer protection law has evolved and adapted to reduce conflict and protect consumers from exploitation, achieving greater levels of justice. Contemporary examples of consumer protection against unfair contracts include – common law and statutory protections, the standards implied by statutes and legislative protections against negligence with these measures being of a significant level of effectiveness in light of some drawbacks. Fantastic introduction! Answers the question well, sets up the response very nicely.

Common law and statutory protections are in place to prevent unjust contracts with these laws handling conflicts in a relatively effective manner. Good topic sentence. If a contract is unjust, the innocent party can seek legal remedies/redress through the intervention of courts, with unjust contracts able to be set aside or rescinded. Not totally necessary info; assume your marker knows this already (because they do), focus on your own ideas not content! Common law protections are reasonably effective in the resolving of contractual disputes as their decisions are legally binding and enforceable. This enforceability is clearly seen in the article ‘Asking for trouble’, 2011, SMH with the decision of NSW Court of Appeal in Fast Fix Loans vs Samardic (2011) justly placing tighter restrictions on lenders regarding the factors they need to meet before adding guarantors to contractual agreements with the intention of avoiding the establishment of unjust contracts. Furthermore statutory protections have increased considerably with the implementation of cooling-off periods in various pieces of legislation allowing contractual conflict to be more easily prevented and resolved. Example of legislation? Consumers can be subjected to pressure sales tactics and enter into contracts that they otherwise wouldn’t have, in these situations cooling off periods allow consumers to change their minds and withdraw from contracts. The 10 day cooling off period granted by the Fair Trading Act 1987 provides consumers with an opportunity to think about contract decisions in a reasonable manner and genuinely give their consent, effectively preventing the entering of unjust contracts. You could take the information from these last few sentences and blend it into a single sentence; be succinct when you can! Adversely, cooling off periods has been argued by businesses as a chance for consumers to unfairly renege contracts even when they haven’t been unduly pressured. Additionally, while common law protection is an effective avenue of justice, it is expensive and time consuming deterring many individuals from seeking compensation or damages. While there are prevalent issues with common law and statutory protections, the overall impact has been significantly effective in the management of unjust contracts. Excellent!

To prevent the establishment of unfair contracts, state and federal statutes ensure consumer goods and services contain implied terms (terms not expressly stated but enforceable by statutes) to provide protection for consumers against unconscionable conduct, deceptive advertising and defective products. These standards implied by statutes are generally effective in handling consumer concerns but tend to overlook the needs of businesses. The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) (CACA) is a recent law that incorporates and builds upon previous legislation, it enables contracts to be voided and rescinded if any of the implied terms are breached; effectively protecting consumers from the exploitation of businesses and appropriately handling unfair consumer contracts. This effectiveness of implied terms are demonstrated in the case of ACCC v Hewlett Packard (2013), ACCC succeeded in negligence against the manufacturer for the breach of an implied term of contract, that the product would be ‘reasonably  fit for its purpose’. Implied terms are enforceable to a high degree due to CACA outlining new monetary penalties for unconscionable conduct of up to $1.1 million for corporations and $220 000 for individuals with these fines appropriately punishing the establishment of unfair contracts and deterring suppliers and manufacturers from breaching consumer law. This sort of "super specific" content, is a nice touch, but think about whether your point is just as effective without these sort of figures. If it is, then remove them, don't waste any space! Conversely, the standards implied by statutes limit a business’s freedom of expression by restricting the manner in which they develop and employ their contracts however these limits are seen by the majority as a positive for society as they help protect customers from the unscrupulous conduct of sellers. Report? Media Article? Try to link every observation with a piece of evidence. The standards implied by statues have been beneficial in the regulation of contracts though it may be restricting it has effectively dealt with unjust contracts.

This is a great start for an essay! Your Thesis is absolutely fantastic, you have excellent ideas and integrate your judgement extremely well. Paragraphs are well structured, and the essay just flows really nicely, which is a hard thing to do!

There is really not much I can suggest here (especially given I didn't study this Option), I think it is stellar! I would say you are answering the question, though perhaps you could hit the "developing need for consumer protection" aspect a little more obviously throughout each section. You are definitely integrating your judgement extremely well, and thus answering the question. The two concerns you mentioned are definitely being handled really well (IMO)  ;D

Some slight issues of expression and being succinct, but I think you are absolutely on the right track with this essay, stellar work!!  ;D