Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 03:20:19 am

Author Topic: Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal  (Read 64585 times)

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
Re: Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2018, 08:49:53 pm »
+9
[lol rip I already wrote this but closed the damn tab #rip]
Last week of term!

We had our last official day of school on Monday which was just spent talking among each other. We also had our retreat, which was another yearly tradition I was sad to farewell. I didn't have any spiritual revelations or epiphanies (lol) but it was nice to spend time with old and new friends.

I have been using Easter and the arrival of extended family to weasel my way out of studying and instead bingeing k-dramas (oops). But not to worry - bar working and hanging around with friends, I should have a break packed with study (bruh).

How was everyone's Easter? Mine was spent entertaining little ones, which is a very draining activity for me. I'm not so enticed by chocolates... oh, the joys of being (mildly) lactose intolerant.

Anyway, I'm going to record down an agenda for these holidays, as well as a little recap. Read if you wish! Otherwise, hope everyone has a fantastic holiday!
Going forward
Going back
I started this term by creating this Journey Journal! I'm still doing the same subjects, but haven't expanded much on Chinese drama-watching. Although, I am giving my friend the shits by reading her mother's Chinese texts to her and miraculously understanding them - very fun (and a boost to the ego). My interest in fashion is only blooming, but planning has come to a little bit of a standstill. I'm still aiming for Med, that lit ATAR, but have not made my bucket list yet (grr...).
I went to ATARNotes lectures, an independent lecture and some TSFX lectures - all for free, and without really utilizing the notes I got from them :( I'm sure I did unconsciously, right?
I took a Japanese friend around Melbourne and did my First Aid training.
I had my first day of Year 12, and began doing practice exams for UMAT. I had my first SAC - psychology, followed by chemistry. Finally, I had my English Language SAC. I had multiple math tests, but no SACs. I've done reasonably well on them, except for a doozy that I still regret now.
I got pretty sick twice this term, which resulted in a very tired me and some absences from school. More absences were created with Swimming Sports and Athletics Carnival, which were both great memories. Not to mention retreat, at the end.
Looking back, I notice how very little happened. It really seems like such a momentous achievement to get through Term 1, but in reality it is such a small hill. I've had a very good term, crashing a little in the middle but still going strong. I was surprised that even though I worded my posts carefully, most are a mix of "anxious" and other negative emotions. Time to shape up for the next term!!
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 11:04:52 pm »
+8
My first week of holidays have gone and boy, oh boy do I miss them already.

Things went... similarly to how I planned them out? (Oops).
Tuesday and Wednesday were some lit days with good friends. Thursday was not spent in Melbourne, though. I hope I don't regret that later. I found an online UMAT seminar thing that I said I would watch instead, but did I? No. Good going.
Work day #1 was surprisingly one of the best days of the week. I had people randomly tell me I was a "people person" and had a nice smile etc all these really sweet little things. I even got slipped a $20 tip at work. A really good day.

Saturday was at ATARNotes lectures. I had methods then chemistry this time. Methods was a little hard to follow because it was the first session, but I appreciated the effort the presenter took to stay on the ball. A lot of the content I haven't even covered yet so it was just over my head. Towards the end my mate and I were looking for places to eat (lol). I think math is just so hard to put into words. On the other hand, I have to commend the chemistry lecturer. I'm pretty confident with all the material so I will say I got a little bored but every explanation the lecturer gave was in depth and repeated several times, which I think is really great. Sometimes it is just that second or third time hearing it that it clicks for some people. I ended up leaving early because I wanted to be home before 7:30.
The 18th was good except for the music. Some was great but the rest was just club remix. Paired with a strobe light, I didn't last long when I didn't know the song and just sat outside drinking with other friends who had headaches.

I did plan to study the next day but of course, I didn't. I've already mentioned here once that when I have work I procrastinate the whole day. Well, old habits die hard. I really did absolutely nothing.

Today (Monday - I'm a day late), I also did a great job of doing nothing. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll have to get out of the house if I really want to get work done. So, the plan is to go down to the public library and get stuck into it. No excuses.

Overall, I've had a great week socially. Academically... There's definitely room for improvement. Fingers crossed for these last few weeks before we are back to the grind.
Good luck all!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:11:44 pm by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 08:48:12 pm »
+11
The end of the holidays... I'm really not happy. These holidays have flashed past and I haven't done much of what I should have.

I spent Monday doing nothing, from memory. Tuesday, feeling guilty, I decided to go to the local library because I decided it was too hard to concentrate at home. In a lot of aspects, if I feel like I am being watched, I'll tend to do "the right thing". Hence, studying in public is what works for me.
Wednesday, I worked at placement and then at my part time job. Same routine Thursday. On Friday, true to my weakness again, I procrastinated because I had been asked at 10am to work later that day. I said yes, but did nothing (#regrets).
On Saturday, we had the ATARNote lectures again. I had a lot of fun this time... but didn't concentrate as much as what i probably should have. I did finish my psychology homework during the psych lecture, though, which I thought was a great idea. I then went to another 18th. Well, I got myself some Little Fat Lambie and you can guess the rest. Sunday, I had wholly intended to be productive but my mum was home, so we spent the day together.

So, I have finished psychology homework. I have done maybe half of chemistry, a negligible amount of methods and no EL work.
As you can see, I haven't been on the ball. I did finally finish Psychology in its entirety though.
I'm feeling nervous about Term 2 and to be honest, I'm just not feeling it. But regardless of my feelings, the show must go on. Here's to another 75 days before the return of freedom.

Have a great return to school everyone and best of luck!

(Oh, also! I found out I got MOTM which was aweomse!! I'll have to try harder to live up to it, but I'm so pleased. Thanks ATARNotes!)

♡ Subjects ♡

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 10:58:08 pm »
+3

The end of the holidays... I'm really not happy. These holidays have flashed past and I haven't done much of what I should have.

I spent Monday doing nothing, from memory. Tuesday, feeling guilty, I decided to go to the local library because I decided it was too hard to concentrate at home. In a lot of aspects, if I feel like I am being watched, I'll tend to do "the right thing". Hence, studying in public is what works for me.
Wednesday, I worked at placement and then at my part time job. Same routine Thursday. On Friday, true to my weakness again, I procrastinated because I had been asked at 10am to work later that day. I said yes, but did nothing (#regrets).
On Saturday, we had the ATARNote lectures again. I had a lot of fun this time... but didn't concentrate as much as what i probably should have. I did finish my psychology homework during the psych lecture, though, which I thought was a great idea. I then went to another 18th. Well, I got myself some Little Fat Lambie and you can guess the rest. Sunday, I had wholly intended to be productive but my mum was home, so we spent the day together.

So, I have finished psychology homework. I have done maybe half of chemistry, a negligible amount of methods and no EL work.
As you can see, I haven't been on the ball. I did finally finish Psychology in its entirety though.
I'm feeling nervous about Term 2 and to be honest, I'm just not feeling it. But regardless of my feelings, the show must go on. Here's to another 75 days before the return of freedom.

Have a great return to school everyone and best of luck!

(Oh, also! I found out I got MOTM which was aweomse!! I'll have to try harder to live up to it, but I'm so pleased. Thanks ATARNotes!)
Congrats on MOTM! I wouldn’t beat yourself up too bad, it is the holidays after all plus you seem busier than most people. Can totally relate with the procrastination and guilty feelings, just have to find a way to overcome it and focus. How’s your UMAT prep going btw? That’s what’s been scaring me the most, there’s only like 3 months left

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11:49 pm »
+2
Congrats on MOTM! I wouldn’t beat yourself up too bad, it is the holidays after all plus you seem busier than most people. Can totally relate with the procrastination and guilty feelings, just have to find a way to overcome it and focus. How’s your UMAT prep going btw? That’s what’s been scaring me the most, there’s only like 3 months left
Eeee thank you.
Oh, thank you for your kind words. I don't know about being busier than most but well, I certainly wish I had more time to throw around.
UMAT prep is going okay. I haven't done any practice exams since last time I mentioned it, but I did a few drills and have been watching the explanation videos on the iCanMed Facebook page. They're not too bad if you wanted to look at them yourself. There are also a few ACER ones available once you register.
Fingers crossed!! Have a great term :)

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2018, 08:28:33 pm »
+10
First week of term, over.
I ended up taking a sickie on Monday though, which was a pretty pathetic way to start the term. Not to worry though, I think it was well worth it and I didn't seem to miss much.

In psychology, we have been revising for our next SAC that is coming up Friday this week. I think we will also start on memory before actually sitting the SAC. I've got pretty high hopes so fingers crossed yet again.

In methods, I had a polynomials topic test which I did, well, pretty awfully on. I only missed one mark on the notes and calculator part of the test, but scored very few marks on the other section… Eek. We are looking into calc a little bit until getting into exponentials and logs. This four-period test is going to be a riot, I can tell already. Apparently they're aiming for June 10 for the start date.

In English Language, we have started formal language and are yet to get out AOS 1 SACs back. It's actually killing me lol. I also can't stay awake in classes. Maybe it was because it was straight after lunch but boy I was sleepy.

In chemistry, we have moved onto equilibrium and Le Chatelier’s principle. I only just realised that these things that I was so clear on when I studied them are actually getting foggy after all this time. Time to get in some revision and pay extra attention in class. My teacher is still the best! Much love for Chem. I think we are doing the practical component for our SAC this week too, which is pretty daunting, though.

My VET is going pretty well. Not much to update on that front. In terms of UMAT, I managed to finally complete another practice exam. I had to do it in parts though. I've seen a relatively small but promising improvement, still with significant time left over. I'm still worried that the nerves are rushing me through and causing some mistakes. I always thought Section 3 would be my worst but it looks like Section 1 is actually presenting the most problems. I never thought those questions were too hard though, so hopefully I will be okay with some practice.

Hope you guys have a great (and productive and reflective ! Haha) ANZAC Day this Wednesday.
Good luck all!

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2018, 12:43:48 am »
+5
And so the third week starts, with eight to go.

I've had a fairly average week. It was going pretty well but ended with a bang (of my head on the desk tbh).

Most notably, I had our second SAC for psychology. This subject in general is so daunting because I go into it expecting everything to be a walk in the park and always come out very shaken.
tight timing:  the boring backstory
My friends and I usually sit in the psychology room for recess and lunch. I was informed that students were still going on with the SAC during recess because they needed the full 50 minutes. Later on I also get an email saying to come in 5 minutes before class so they can start the SAC on time. Bad signs.
I was rushing towards the end, scared I wouldn't finish it all in time. I'm sure I did decently but still thinking I might be picked on for my laziness. Fingers crossed that results come out soon and I can update you.

We also did our second chemistry prac SAC which was, truth be told, a load of fun. Finally, me and my beloved lab partner managed to get through everything without me botching it up, get accurate results and even be second to finish up! An actual rarity. Our writeup is this Tuesday. I'm hoping for the same mark or better than what I got last time. I'd really like to move from 2nd into the lead rank, but will my lack of effort deserve it? (Hint: if it does, I'll probably feel guilty).

In methods we are doing calculus type stuff we have gone over already in Year 11. The revision is welcome but I just have no idea how I'll scrub up in this subject. I'm still doing like no practice questions so stay tuned to see how that comes back to bite me in the ass.

I had intended to do another UMAT practice exam this week but as you might have deduced from previous comments, I have been exceedingly lazy. This week, though, I'll work through it section by section. VET it's also going well - I'm doing a project on muscles which is pretty neat to be honest. I also managed to work this week and celebrate my best friend's 18th. Apart from those events, there were other causes for my slothenly behaviour. Namely, a new drama I have begun watching…
uh oh
I cannot get enough of it. So much so that I noticed an Indonesian group had already subbed the most recent episode, and so I decided to do the logical thing. Which is, obviously, try to Google Translate all 600 lines of captions. Can you feel my desperation yet? I didn't end up violating the subtitles or the drama that way though, worry not. I shall be patient. It's just so good, even though the plot is just that of a couple trying to keep their relationship a secret from everyone...

Saving the worst for last: English Language. I didn't think I could hate this subject much more, but I guess this year is all about learning. (If you hadn't noticed, I've been trying to restrain myself from saying this in fear that writing it will actualise these counterproductive attitudes). It had been over a month without SAC marks being released. I was chill the whole time, because I was certain I would get my practice SAC mark or higher. I would have been happy with that. Instead, on the final period of Friday, I get back what was as equality surprising as it was disappointing.
The Reason by Hooberstank (SingStar anybody?)
Honestly, I don't think my writing changes all that much. I have been getting consistent marks for almost my whole high school career. So, that much of a discrepancy came as a huge shock. I then am told the green scribbles on my SAC are not my teacher’s, but an external marker’s. I cannot begin to explain how petty the corrections are and how infuriated I am. A classic example is this excerpt, where and I have written: “...they have a…”, and the “have” has been crossed out, with “enjoy” instead the preferred verb. I don't even know what to make of it. Will be updating later
However, I have reason to believe I'm still Rank 1. I have naively persuaded myself that it is all that matters but… sigh.

Good luck to all this week!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:00:40 am by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2018, 07:27:16 pm »
+10
We are half way through the academic year! Another 5 months from now and we will be seeing the ends of our Unit 4 classes. Crazy, right?

Chemistry
We had our SAC, and I ended up doing well. It cured a lot of my mopey feels from last week and has motivated me.
I'm the type of person who is motivated easily from positive reinforcement - praise, good results, understanding things easily. When I get bad scores, teachers always say its good for me and would make me want to work harder. Little do they realise that while the concept makes sense, it delivers a huge blow to my ego and I'm less inclined to do more work. What side do you lean towards?
Electrolysis from now on! I feel like I have a good understanding of electrolysis so I'm looking forward to it.

Psychology
No results back yet. We are starting memory, which while boring is also the topic of our research task SAC thing...
My teacher assured me the poster is essentially the same as an ERC (from the previous study design) but just on a different piece of paper.
I'm really not looking to it though, and not looking forward to it in Chemistry either. If there's something that's going to trip me up...

Methods
One month until our big SAC. We will have our topic test this week (Tuesday, I think). After that, we are going into exponential and logarithmic functions, and after that circular functions. Those along with what we have done so far will be on the SAC. Apparently one lesson is an introductory lesson that isn't marked and can be used to clarify with peers and whatever. The only other thing I know is that it's a massive application task (or more than one, with the same central theme).
I'm usually okay at application tasks, but who knows...

English Language
I talked to my teacher about the SAC mark and I was largely unimpressed with her responses, to be honest. I won't go into it, but in the end nothing can be done about it. She was very complimentary of me and understood my concern with the mark. In the end, it wasn't a bad mark, my errors weren't huge, and I think I'll be okay going forward. It just so much harder now to work with a passion.

Others
I didn't end up doing the UMAT practice exam. It's just so hard to find a spare three hours, or even an hour here or there to do a single section. I will hopefully do some this week. I wish there was an app I could do sample problems with. To be honest, not having tutoring or preparation courses is beginning to make me worried. I begin to wonder if I'm really missing out.
Placement is fine. I ended up taking Thursday off and so I missed my class (+ double psychology) but it seems like we didn't do much.

Here are some thoughts I'm having:
What the UMAT reflects
I used to kind of despise the idea of the UMAT and didn't see what it really reflects in the individual that was so important in medicine. Now, I've kind of formed some impressions.
Section 1 assesses the ability to extract, comprehend and make deductions from data and information. I believe it reflects the role of a doctor as a teacher, and as a student. The doctor learns and imparts evidence-based, coherent, factual information to the patient. They educate the public, and research and learn to better themselves and their practice.
Section 2 assesses the ability to interpret emotions, see the patient as an individual, and provide an empathetic and trustworthy service. This section would reflect the role of a doctor as a carer. The doctor is a pillar of support, dependable confidant and a fellow person that serves and treasures their neighbours.
Section 3 assesses the ability to recognise patterns, observe the covert and exercise (appropriately) intuition as well as intellect. This section thereby reflects the role of a doctor as a problem solver. The doctor identifies symptoms, looks for fine detail, diagnoses and differentiates, and with any hope, 'solves' the problem the patient presents with. They examine what isn't obvious, and makes connections where others may not. Finding the missing part of the puzzle for the patient might be exactly what was needed, so a doctor asserts themselves a thinker and explorer.

To be honest, I don't think of myself as someone who plays these roles yet. I try, with some success. But what is most profound to me is the desire to be a teacher, a carer, and a problem-solver. When I doubted myself, someone said to me: you are still growing. With any hope, I can fulfill these large and sacred roles sometime in the future.
The paradoxical use of time in the final year of school
I treasure my family above anything else. Actually, my home consists of just my mother and myself. I've lived a somewhat solitary life, without siblings and with a mother who needed to work whenever the opportunity presented. In Year 12, I have become acutely aware that I will be moving away from this life and the comfort of our small home. Whether it's just an excuse, or whether I really do feel sentimental, I don't know. But when my mother's home, I hardly ever study. It seems like such a waste of time to study, instead of hanging around with her. It has made me think, that for those who do face my reality of moving away after Year 12 (many do), time spent bending over backwards to study should really be spent with family. Thinking forward, when will my life be like it is now? It won't, and I suddenly feel empty to think the 'normal thing to do' is shaft your family to second priority, and "study".
How to make study easy
Whilst contemplating why 'liking' something makes it so much easy to study for it, I've come to release something. On my profile one of the quotes I have is the Japanese idiom: 好きこそものの上手なれ - which means 'what one likes, one will do well'. I thought this to be true especially when I was studying Japanese. Why was it so easy to pick up? Why did I never tire of learning and practicing it?
It has dawned upon me recently that while an affinity for the subject is usually regarded as 'passion', there is another connotation to the word.
If you're passionate about a subject, it is more than likely that you're not passionate about the Unit 3 and 4 sequence, but the subject area itself. It's hard to explain, but I really love Japanese, yet hated taking it at school. What's the difference? I love linguistics, but don't like English Language. I love Chemistry in the VCE, but never really had an interest in it outside of school.
I looked to my teachers. Who were the best teachers I have had so far? My Japanese teacher - who teaches her mother tongue, her culture and upbringing. My Chemistry teacher - who used to be an industrial chemist, working for mining companies, manufacturers, you name it. They have such a endless, vast understanding and love for their subject. The "passion" seemed to be contagious. Only then did I realise that for both of those people, their subjects weren't something they had just studied at university, or taught because they were especially "good" at it. Both of them lived what they taught. To them, their areas of expertise weren't curricula and study design dot-points, but vocations, lifestyles, upbringings and hard-honed disciplines with open ends and seas of unknowns to explore.
I've decided, if I'm to enjoy what I'm studying, I cannot think of them as Study Designs, practice tests and powerpoints. I think that if I can see the subject rather as a discipline, with human, real applications, I can respect the subject, and therefore begin to appreciate it.

All the best for this week!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:39:37 pm by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2018, 01:53:37 pm »
+2
Just want to say that this is a really great journal. One of my favourites!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »
Just want to say that this is a really great journal. One of my favourites!
Thank you always!! I'm flattered :)

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2018, 09:37:11 am »
+9
Welcome to Week 5 :) I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day.

Chemistry
We are still working on electrolysis. I ought to do more textbook questions but I'm still in a bit of a slump. Not to worry - I feel pretty happy about my progress so perhaps delaying practice won't be too bad. Our practice exams for Unit 3 are on the 27th, 28th and 29th of June (the very last week of term). Before then, I'm hoping to do a massive review and reconsolidate what we have done so far. I ought to start some Checkpoints too.

Methods
We started exponentials and logs just recently, which isn't bad... just annoying. It doesn't seem close but our SAC task is fast approaching. I think I'll use each week to practice each topic we have done, at least one or two doing solely application questions. I constantly wonder what impact Methods will have on my ATAR. I of course want a good score for it, but am not getting my hopes up too high because no-one at our school really gets 40+ for Methods or Specialist.

Psychology
Still no results. I'm hoping to get them today (and if I do, I'll update this post). We are still on memory which isn't too bad. I'm curious about the research poster since I've never done anything like it. If anyone knows anything about it or has any tips, please do let me know!

English Language
Also a little under the radar, our next SAC is creeping nearer. I've suddenly become nervous to think about this, considering my previous mark and my lack of practice since then. I've started another AC and sent a short paragraph to be corrected. I think, though, working on my Sec A-type answers is the priority.

UMAT/others
Although finally printed (a whole 67 double-sided pages!) and ready to go, I am still yet to do the UMAT exam I had planned to. I did however, receive a lovely DM from a member reading who kindly reassured me my time was best dedicated to VCE as opposed to the UMAT. It's so nice to have a community of supporters here. Thank you to that person, if you're still reading.
Placement is good but assignments are actually stacking up for VET. I really want to knock them over quickly but my perfectionism does not allow it. I'm hoping to finish of one particular assignment after writing this.

All in all, I'm having a pretty down start to the week. I'm tired after Mother's Day (having stayed overnight out-of-time, I almost feel like I got 'no break') and lacking a little in drive. But, there's only 7 weeks left (including this one). If I can just push through, Term 2 will end in no time. Then, the real pressure will begin with Term 3 looming.
Our GAT slips also came through this morning (here's to my third try lol). Also, by the way, according to my questionable predictions, the VCE Examination timetable should be released Wednesday next week. I'll finally be able to see if my flights are actually viable or whether I've made a mistake that I will surely have to pay for (figuratively and monetarily).

Good luck all! Keep pushing :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:39:37 am by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2018, 06:14:29 pm »
+5
I didn't really want to ever double post, but I have an update.
No psychology results.
But, I have just received word that the two English Language teachers taking each Year 12 class in our school are being replaced.
Like, immediately. Apparently the other class had the new teacher (without any warning) today.

I am very shocked and a little sickened by the news, truth be told. I don't really know what to make of it and though I thought I wouldn't be stressed, I am in a slight state of panic.
I knew Year 12 would throw curve balls at me but I hoped I would be the one screwing it up for myself, not the school.

Anyway. Maybe it is for the best and I will wish the change was made sooner. Who knows.

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 12:17:16 am »
+8
Only 40 days until end of term! Anyone tune into the royal wedding? I'm by no means a royalist but I did watch it. Compared to Will and Kate's wedding I thought it was rather disappointing. What were your thoughts?

English Language
I was quite shocked last week to hear our teacher(s) were being replaced. Our new teacher, however, has made a good impression on me and I have high hopes. In saying that, we are meant to have a practice SAC Wednesday this week! I don't know how I feel about that at all. I feel grossly unprepared, and I managed to avoid putting in any effort this weekend again.
We had to do a roll-call-and-fact-about-yourself thing, but unlike the other class, we were asked about our plans for next year. One thing absurd about me is I hate telling people about my goals. Like loathe it.
13 Reasons Why (haha cringe...) and the implications:
I've been more open recently, through this forum and also in my interactions with the patients in oncology.
But nevertheless, I find it the most excruciating experience. People tend to pitch in their opinion: "Oh, but you'll be stuck in uni for years!", "medicine isn't the glamorous lifestyle like you see on TV!", "have you ever thought about teaching?" ... All of these I have heard within the last two weeks lmao.
Of course, I get a lot of praise and "you'll be a fantastic doctor", "we need people like you" etc. but either way, the decision is so close to my heart any judgement - positive or negative - feels raw and personal.

Especially, at my oncology placement, I am merely a Cert III student. Sometimes when people hear this, they revert to prejudicial thinking. When "I would like to do medicine" follows "I'm here once a week doing work experience for basically a TAFE course", eyes widen. It is quite unnerving.
It has really been an experience being a recipient of that kind of judgement. Unless I purposely choose to withold information (often I do, see above lol), telling people I was in the top three in the state for a foreign language subject in year 10 or whatever other thing I can brag about, obviously brought everything but those scoffs of disbelief.
I have the opportunity to tell those people : "actually...", so I know that my experience is not the same. It is, however, very interesting.

I recently wrote a post about my year 10 work experience at the Royal Melbourne and Royal Women's hospitals.
Actually, I made a point (and wrote about during the week I was there) about why I decided to say I was interested in "a career in the health sector" over blatantly saying medicine, and why I never told anyone about my school results or anything. I had decided that if I could still be told that I should be a doctor, or a nurse, or whatever, it was me that was suited to that recommendation, not my CV or ATAR.
I was pleased to be met with resounding encouragement and support. One theatre technician said he thought I would be a good doctor because I was determined, after having heard that I was making a four-hour return trip every day for those 40 hours of experience.
So with that, I lit a flame inside myself with the slight belief that maybe I could trust the judgement of those people.

Methods
Exps and logs aren't quite as hard as I had anticipated. High hopes but still yet to begin revision (time to pull my head in...!)

Chemistry
Our teacher is honestly my favourite teacher of all time. Just the sweetest person. I feel like I disappoint them a little bit, which isn't a nice feeling. But it makes me determined to make them proud.
SAC is soon, I think. Fingers crossed!

Psychology
Results came out at the very end of the week! Better yet, I was able to snag full marks. I'm very happy, and my opinion of the subject has improved slightly (haha)! Time to start some practice exams!

UMAT etc
I finally did the exam! I saw an improvement in S1 and about constant with S2. I didn't end up marking S3 because I fell asleep after doing a bit, which kind of nullified it's validity. I might try it again though.
At placement, I should be starting to go to Day Surgery instead of oncology! This is very exciting for me. Though I love the oncology staff and patients, I really took this opportunity to experience more surgery. I'll be detailing it closely if I am get to go on this week.

I'll end this post with a quote from my favourite book. I hope it inspires you and that you have a productive and exciting week!
Quote from: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity

P.S.
read about my work experience at the Royal Women's and Royal Melbourne Hospital in detail by clicking on the byline of this quote!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:02:47 am by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 11:41:35 pm »
+3
Hey man! Congrats on your psych results! And good luck for Englang :)

Can definitely relate with telling people about your post-VCE goals (though mine's not as specific and focused as yours ahaha), I was at a careers counselling appointment the other day and the dude was taking a drink when I said I'm interested in studying archaeology and nearly spat out his water.  ;D

the decision is so close to my heart any judgement - positive or negative - feels raw and personal.
Just my 2 cents, doing med is obviously very important to you, remember that in the end it's your decision and others' opinions doesn't really have to impact you personally, after all it's not their future, it's yours. And anyway, you know yourself the best.

Spoiler
I always get told that history isn't a realist or stable career choice and I'll probably end up making less money than my future girlfriend lol ...  Then I get compared to my 'much more sensible' twin sister who's aiming for a 99.90+ and wants to study science.  I guess with comments like these along with stuff like 'have you considered teaching' (which I also get quite a lot) you just have to learn to tune them out.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2018, 12:08:08 am »
+3
Enjoy the rest of your week!
Thank you so much!

Hahahaha I love it!! It's such an asset to be unique. To be honest, I think a spray of water is a better reaction than ugh... Bachelor of Science again...?.
In regards to history and archaeology, I think an exceptional student like you need not concern yourself with what others say either. For all you and they know, you could do groundbreaking (literally and figuratively! Haha gee I'm funny...) work in those fields! High risk(?), high reward, as they say.

And thank you so much for your support ... It's great to hear someone can relate hahaha. I'll try to grow some thicker skin and let it go through one ear and out the other (avoiding my very sensitive heart area 😂).
Of course, the same goes to you! Let's chase our aspirations and spite those who tell us to teach hahaha

Hope you have a good week too! Looking forward to your next update.

♡ Subjects ♡