Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 07:58:33 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 278183 times)  Share 

yharb

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2017, 08:28:38 pm »
Sorry to be a massive pain but I have another 5 marker that I did in class and ALSO received 4/5 on it & was just wondering (whenever you guys have a spare moment) if you could take a quick look at this one too? No rush I've just finished my half yearly exam on it but it would be great to get some of your feedback. Thank you so much!

Account for the significant changes in Australia's religious landscape since 1981.

Australia's religious landscape has had significant changes since 19811 to 2011. When looking at Christianity as a whole, adherents have decreased. This is reflected in the decline from 77.1% in 1981 to 61.1% in 2011. The 1986 census was the first time Catholics were the highest Christian denomination, leading with 26.1%. Catholicism and Anglicanism are revealed to be the most dominant Christian denominations with Catholics being 25.3% and Anglicans being 17.1% in 2011. Up until the 1981 census, Uniting Church consisted of no adherents. This is because the Church was only formed in 1977 as an ecumenical movement by the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Adherents, within the Uniting Church, have now increased to the total of 5% in 2011. There has been a continuous increase in 'Religious Traditions other than Christianity' due to changing immigration laws. This is evident through the change from 1.4% of other Religious Traditions in 1981, to approximately 7% in 2011. 'People with no religion' have increased since being 10.4% in 1981, to 22.3% in 2011. This could be due to the idea that people are more interested in factuality and then lean towards New Age Religions such as Scientology.

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2017, 08:44:33 pm »
Hey Guys,

In an sor2 Exam how many words/pages do you suggest for the essay?

Thanks,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

yharb

• Adventurer
« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2017, 08:48:42 pm »
Hey Guys,

In an sor2 Exam how many words/pages do you suggest for the essay?

Thanks,

Mary x

For the 20marker? Well I just did my sor2 exam today and wrote about 4 and a half pages on my essay however the page numbers within my class ranged from like 3 pages to like 6 pages. I don't think the pages are the biggest concern as long as you have the content down-packed and you continuously refer back to the question. But for a general guide, 3-4 pages would be appropriate. :)

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #333 on: March 21, 2017, 04:25:16 pm »
Hi again! This is a five marker that my teacher looked at for me but said I need to go back and look at again, any feedback would be appreciated :)

“The process of secularisation arises not from the loss of faith but from the loss of social interest in the world of faith. It begins the moment men feel that religion is irrelevant to the common way of life.”
Christopher Dawson (Scholar)

With reference to the above quote, as well as your own knowledge, account for the growing rise of secularism within Australian society. (5 marks)

Secularism is rising within Australian society, and is a movement or concept rejecting religious belief or adherence, seeing people separating themselves from religious influences. Secularism has a loss of social interest in faith, and holds the belief that religion should not interfere with or be integrated into the public affairs of a society, pointing to increasing belief in individualism. Secularism is most evident in the increasing tendency of Australians to state they have ‘no religion’ in each succeeding census, from 7% in 1971 to 22.3% in 2011. In 2014, 74% of marriages in Australia were conducted by a civil celebrant, increasing 31% in 20 years from 45% in 1994. The belief in the irrelevance of religion and thus growing secularism is also highlighted by the significant decline in religious affiliation, church attendance, prayer, numbers of clergy and religious orders. (Include census data here). Increasing materialism, disillusionment with traditional religions and increasing scepticism towards the supernatural can also account for the growing rise of secularism within Australian society. The secularism of society indicates that increasing numbers of people are comfortable to live their lives without reference to religion.
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #334 on: March 21, 2017, 04:26:13 pm »
And another one as well, sorry to be a pain! :)

“In this day and age, it shouldn’t be Muslims vs. Jews or Catholics vs. Protestants - it should be people of faith vs. consumerism, greed and war.”
Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations

With reference to the above quote, as well as your own knowledge, evaluate the importance of interfaith dialogue in multifaith Australia. (5 marks)

Interfaith dialogue in a multifaith Australia is of increasing importance in providing greater understanding between religious traditions and in promoting tolerance and peace, as well as maintaining the importance of religion in an increasingly secular society. Interfaith dialogue refers to cooperative discussion between different religious traditions, with the objectives of building understanding and goodwill, learning about one another and faith traditions, sharing knowledge and understanding as well as working together to achieve common goals and providing support. Finding commonalities within traditions, such as the belief in the dignity of the person, sanctity of human life, care for those in need, justice and peace, enables different religions to more often and more effectively speak out and uphold these shared values. One of the large number of interfaith initiatives in Australia has been the Australian National Dialogue of Christians, Muslims and Jews, that commenced in 2003 and involved the National Council of Churches (NCCA). Its stated purpose was to provide opportunities for these faiths to build understanding and harmony and to clarify contentious issues within their respective faiths. International interfaith dialogue also includes initiatives such as the March 2006 Cebu Dialogue, with 15 countries including Australia arriving in the Philippines. These initiatives are of a pivotal role in allowing religious authorities in Australia to speak and act with a united voice on matters that concern them. Opposition to late term abortions and the need to provide greater practical support to women who choose to proceed with pregnancy, was a joint statement issued in 2005 by several Christian denominations, Buddhists and Hindus. Interfaith dialogue is of significant value in a multifaith society.
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

1937jk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #335 on: March 21, 2017, 04:48:18 pm »
I think the quote talks about the Church being a whole made up of many members and aspects. So despite coming from many places and backgrounds, together, Christians are one in Christ, in the Church. I think this relates to Paul's missions as well, joining so many people from different places as one in the Church of the Body of Christ. :)
Okay awesome! thank you so much
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:20:35 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #336 on: March 21, 2017, 05:36:39 pm »
For the 20marker? Well I just did my sor2 exam today and wrote about 4 and a half pages on my essay however the page numbers within my class ranged from like 3 pages to like 6 pages. I don't think the pages are the biggest concern as long as you have the content down-packed and you continuously refer back to the question. But for a general guide, 3-4 pages would be appropriate. :)

Thanks Yharb :)

Mary
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #337 on: March 21, 2017, 06:50:48 pm »
Hi, would you mind marking + possibly providing some feedback on my 5 marker that I wrote in class? I received a 4/5 for it and I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with just a little bit more feedback as my teacher didn't provide me with much. Thank you so much in advance!!

Sure thing!

Spoiler
"The land is my mother. Like a human mother, the land gives us protection, enjoyment and provides our needs - economic, social and religious. We have a human relationship with the land: Mother, daughter, son. When the land is taken from us or destroyed, we feel hurt because we belong to the land and we are part of it." Outline the relationship between Aboriginal Spirituality and the LRM.

The Dreaming is the main foundation of Aboriginal Spirituality. Good to establish this early! It is the belief system about creation and existence, as well as the establishment of rules and laws of the Indigenous community. Dispossession occurred within the Aboriginal community when they were forcibly "taken from their land" and families, leaving feelings of "hurt" and destruction due to this idea that the Aboriginal people "belong to the land." Dispossession disallowed them to perform their obligations to the land/people, perform rituals and fulfil their kinship responsibilities (such as passing down the Dreaming to the next generations). I'd say you establish the significance of the Land reasonably well, but I'm looking for some more clarity on why the Land is pivotal to the Dreaming. You gave a few examples in that last sentence but I'm looking for a deeper connection between the Dreaming and the Land. The Land Rights Movement consisted of public events that were run by significant figures within the Aboriginal community with intentions of taking back their land. For example, in 1992, Eddie Mabo plead a case in the high court to remove the doctrine of 'terra nullius' (no man's land). Mabo's decision was approved, further provoking the 1993 Native Title Act. This was merely the recognition of the unique ties between Aboriginal people and their land. The Land Rights Movement allowed Aboriginal people to regain access to their land, further allowing them to protect it as they refer to it as their "mother". The term "mother" is used to describe the land as it provides them with "protection, enjoyment and fulfilment of their needs". This reconnection with the land allows them to maintain their  spirituality and reconnect with their identity. This last sentence here, on how the LRM connects indigenous people to their spirituality, is what I think you need more of. Your discussion of the LRM and the Dreaming/Land is a little 'distinct,' you need to do more to highlight the relationship between them.

I agree with your teacher, but I do think this is a strong 4/5. To improve, just a bit more work on the 'relationship' between the two - Right now the discussion of each is too separate to be fully answering the question :)

Sorry to be a massive pain but I have another 5 marker that I did in class and ALSO received 4/5 on it & was just wondering (whenever you guys have a spare moment) if you could take a quick look at this one too? No rush I've just finished my half yearly exam on it but it would be great to get some of your feedback. Thank you so much!

Spoiler
Account for the significant changes in Australia's religious landscape since 1981.

Australia's religious landscape has had significant changes since 19811 to 2011. When looking at Christianity as a whole, adherents have decreased. This is reflected in the decline from 77.1% in 1981 to 61.1% in 2011. You could be a little more succinct here - "The number of Christian adherents decreased from 77.1% in 1981 to 61.1% in 2011," would be all you need instead of those two sentences. The 1986 census was the first time Catholics were the highest Christian denomination, leading with 26.1%. Catholicism and Anglicanism are revealed to be the most dominant Christian denominations with Catholics being 25.3% and Anglicans being 17.1% in 2011. This is not a change - Focus on the things that are different, make comparisons. Up until the 1981 census, Uniting Church consisted of no adherents. This is because the Church was only formed in 1977 as an ecumenical movement by the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Adherents, within the Uniting Church, have now increased to the total of 5% in 2011. There has been a continuous increase in 'Religious Traditions other than Christianity' due to changing immigration laws. Be more specific about this last bit. This is evident through the change from 1.4% of other Religious Traditions in 1981, to approximately 7% in 2011. 'People with no religion' have increased since being 10.4% in 1981, to 22.3% in 2011. This could be due to the idea that people are more interested in factuality and then lean towards New Age Religions such as Scientology. Try to make your arguments strong, don't say "could be", because the marker sees that and thinks you aren't really sure what you are talking about.

So in contrast, I'd say this is just a 4/5. The reason is this - The question asks you to account for the changes in Australia's religious landscapes. That is, give reasons for. I've highlighted in red above the places where you give reasons for - It's only a very small part of the response. You need to be focusing on the reasons for the changes in more detail, make it very clear why the changes have taken/are taking place! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #338 on: March 21, 2017, 07:05:23 pm »
+1
Hi again! This is a five marker that my teacher looked at for me but said I need to go back and look at again, any feedback would be appreciated :)

Sure!

Spoiler
“The process of secularisation arises not from the loss of faith but from the loss of social interest in the world of faith. It begins the moment men feel that religion is irrelevant to the common way of life.”
Christopher Dawson (Scholar)

With reference to the above quote, as well as your own knowledge, account for the growing rise of secularism within Australian society. (5 marks)

Secularism is rising within Australian society, and is a movement or concept rejecting religious belief or adherence, seeing people separating themselves from religious influences. Secularism has a loss of social interest in faith, and holds the belief that religion should not interfere with or be integrated into the public affairs of a society, pointing to increasing belief in individualism. A little too long introducing the idea of secularism here - Remember your marker will know what is it already, this doesn't help you answer the question! Give a very brief definition if you give one. Secularism is most evident in the increasing tendency of Australians to state they have ‘no religion’ in each succeeding census, from 7% in 1971 to 22.3% in 2011. In 2014, 74% of marriages in Australia were conducted by a civil celebrant, increasing 31% in 20 years from 45% in 1994. Nice statistics here! Definitely a nice inclusion. The belief in the irrelevance of religion and thus growing secularism is also highlighted by the significant decline in religious affiliation, church attendance, prayer, numbers of clergy and religious orders. (Include census data here). Increasing materialism, disillusionment with traditional religions and increasing scepticism towards the supernatural can also account for the growing rise of secularism within Australian society. The secularism of society indicates that increasing numbers of people are comfortable to live their lives without reference to religion.

So the big piece of feedback here is really simple - The question asks you to account for the rise of secularism. To give reasons it is happening. Only one sentence in your response (highlighted in red) relates to giving reasons for the changes, meaning that even in all those great statistics, only one sentence is directly answering the question.

Cut some of your stats, and focus instead on the reasons for the rise of secularism - In more detail than that sentence in red :)

And another one as well, sorry to be a pain! :)

Spoiler
“In this day and age, it shouldn’t be Muslims vs. Jews or Catholics vs. Protestants - it should be people of faith vs. consumerism, greed and war.”
Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations

With reference to the above quote, as well as your own knowledge, evaluate the importance of interfaith dialogue in multifaith Australia. (5 marks)

Interfaith dialogue in a multifaith Australia is of increasing importance in providing greater understanding between religious traditions and in promoting tolerance and peace, as well as maintaining the importance of religion in an increasingly secular society. Fantastic opening sentence here - I like that you've given the argument a bit of context, really nice work. Interfaith dialogue refers to cooperative discussion between different religious traditions, with the objectives of building understanding and goodwill, learning about one another and faith traditions, sharing knowledge and understanding as well as working together to achieve common goals and providing support. Definition not very important - Your marker knows what it is! Finding commonalities within traditions, such as the belief in the dignity of the person, sanctity of human life, care for those in need, justice and peace, enables different religions to more often and more effectively speak out and uphold these shared values. Excellent. One of the large number of interfaith initiatives in Australia has been the Australian National Dialogue of Christians, Muslims and Jews, that commenced in 2003 and involved the National Council of Churches (NCCA). Its stated purpose was to provide opportunities for these faiths to build understanding and harmony and to clarify contentious issues within their respective faiths. Make sure you are evaluating - HOW IMPORTANT was this initiative? International interfaith dialogue also includes initiatives such as the March 2006 Cebu Dialogue, with 15 countries including Australia arriving in the Philippines. These initiatives are of a pivotal role in allowing religious authorities in Australia to speak and act with a united voice on matters that concern them. This is what we need more of - You should be constantly evaluating.  Opposition to late term abortions and the need to provide greater practical support to women who choose to proceed with pregnancy, was a joint statement issued in 2005 by several Christian denominations, Buddhists and Hindus. A bit of an empty example - You don't do anything with it. Interfaith dialogue is of significant value in a multifaith society.

I think this response is strong in its current form! Just needs a bit more of a focus on actually evaluating the interfaith initiatives I reckon ;D

So basically, just ensure you are answering the question! That is the main recommendation I'd have for both responses ;D

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #339 on: March 21, 2017, 09:02:29 pm »
Hey guys, what would be an appropriate bioethical teaching/principle of Judaism to link to IVF?
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #340 on: March 21, 2017, 10:25:31 pm »
+1
Hey guys, what would be an appropriate bioethical teaching/principle of Judaism to link to IVF?

Hey thebarman! I don't have my notes handy but this might help:

There is a positive commandment to procreate: "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28).
I can't remember the differentiation between the different types of Jews and their beliefs on this. But, I seem to recall that it is traditionally accepted that the embryo does not take on human characteristics until the 40th day, so with IVF, any embryos lost in that time would not be seen as unethically "disposed". But please take this with a grain of salt because I'm being a bit sketchy and raking my memory right now. Hopefully the quote gives you a point of discussion!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

1937jk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #341 on: March 22, 2017, 06:17:31 pm »
In terms of Christian ethical teachings, how do you know when something is a biocentric view or anthropocentric view?

Also in terms of stewardship, could it be used as a point in an essay to support bioethics - euthanasia? or does it lean closer towards environmental ethics? Is there a way it can relate to bioethics?

Mod Edit: Merged posts :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:33:30 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #342 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:05 pm »
Thanks heaps for looking at my 5 markers! Really helpful :)

I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on this essay question for my half yearly   ;D

“God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:9)
With specific reference to the above quotation, explain how the practice of Baptism and Christian Bioethical teachings guides adherents in living a Christian life.
The practice of Baptism and Christian bioethical teachings show the desire of Christian adherents to follow the example set by Jesus, and apply the beliefs of the tradition to all aspects of living.

Through baptism, an adherent proclaims to be an adherent to the Christian tradition, and thus profess their faith in Christianity and its principal beliefs. When an adherent is initiated into the whole Christian life, their actions of morality and ethical principles are largely drawn from sources of ethics that determine what human behaviour is right or wrong, such as bioethical decisions, that follow the principles of the Christian tradition. Christians strive to follow these teachings, in demonstrating their love and belief in Christ, and return to sources of ethics when faced with moral dilemmas.
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2017, 08:32:22 am »
In terms of Christian ethical teachings, how do you know when something is a biocentric view or anthropocentric view?

Also in terms of stewardship, could it be used as a point in an essay to support bioethics - euthanasia? or does it lean closer towards environmental ethics? Is there a way it can relate to bioethics?
Hey :)
Ok, so I never used the terms biocentric or anthropocentric in my studies. A quick google tells me that biocentric views put humans on the sound level as animals and other living things. An anthropocentric view puts humans above animals and even God(s). I'm not sure if these definitions alter when applied to SOR, I haven't come across these terms in the course. But, if it's true: biocentric believes all living organisms are equal, and anthropocentric views put humans above animals.

As for stewardship, I'm guessing you're talking about Christianity, but you could be talking about other religions and I suppose it would still apply similarly. You definitely could apply it, but consider what you're doing with it. So, to be a steward of God is to live on Earth by taking care of God's will, playing it out in support of God's wishes. So, in Christianity, typically you'd be going against stewardship to perform euthanasia. But, you could talk about stewardship to humans (in an anthropocentric view ;)) to other humans, and say that performing euthanasia is being a steward to your peer.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #344 on: March 23, 2017, 02:14:34 pm »
Hey Guys,

Are there any examples of how to write an essay based solely on environmental ethics for Judaism? If not, do you mind explaining to me how to write an effective essay solely on environmental ethics?

Thank so much,

Mary x
Hey!