Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 04:28:42 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 279315 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #315 on: March 18, 2017, 02:31:10 pm »
Hey guys, i have my exam coming up and we have been given the question for our essay luckily. just wondering if someone can help me structure out my essay and what they think is best for me to write. The essay is about hajj and the question is

“And your Allah is one Allah. There is no god but he, most gracious, most merciful”

With reference to one or more of the above quotations, explain how ONE significant practice in islam assists adherents in their submission to Allah

Hey akovacevic! I think it would be effective for you to structure your essay around the core beliefs of Islam - And how Hajj allows the adherent to connect to those beliefs and thus more truly submit to Allah. You can read more about this structure here!

Elyse also wrote this awesome guide which might help you in incorporating your stimulus! ;D

ajajaj

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2017, 04:38:58 pm »
Christian as a whole my friend! ;D

Edit: Beat by Thebarman ;)

For SOR, I did have palm cards for Trials because I was on the go a lot, but for the HSC when I was home a lot I mainly made summary sheets. Just easier and could do more information in the same amount of space - Palm cards for me were about portability ;)

The summary sheets would have quotes, arguments, main ideas - All the good stuff I could need for a short answer or an essay. These are a way better version of what I did ;D

Jake also has a cool method for memorising statistics and other little bits of content ;D

Thanks! I wasn't aware of Jake's article so it really helped alot!
A few quick questions - how would summary sheets and notes differ??? Is it just a condensed version of regular study notes? How would you know what to keep or cut out??

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #317 on: March 18, 2017, 05:22:15 pm »
Thanks! I wasn't aware of Jake's article so it really helped alot!
A few quick questions - how would summary sheets and notes differ??? Is it just a condensed version of regular study notes? How would you know what to keep or cut out??

That's exactly it - Study notes have everything you need, summary notes have just the select pieces. It's kind of like a CV versus a Resume - A CV is everything, a resume is only the stuff that is relevant to the position you are applying for!

In terms of selecting stuff for the summary notes, consider your purpose. So I made them for SOR and Legal because they were essay subjects - I would prepare summary sheets with the evidence/info I'd need for an essay on a particular topic - No more, no less. So you could prepare a single summary sheet for your personality, one for practice... Etc etc :)

1937jk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2017, 09:11:09 pm »
Hey! The 10 Commandments and the Beatitudes are core ethical teachings throughout Christianity in general, not just Catholicism.
Okay cool! It makes sense now thank you!!!!
Mod: put your comment outside the quote for you :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:45:38 pm by elysepopplewell »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #319 on: March 18, 2017, 09:58:34 pm »
Hi! Just wondering if someone would mind having a quick look at my 5 marker :)

Hi Snew! Sorry, this seemed to have gotten lost in the thread. I'll look at it now :) Without the question, I'm guessing it is about the important of Ceremonial Life for the Dreaming?

Ceremonial life is of great importance to Aboriginal spirituality, as it is the ritual and artistic expression of the Dreaming. Ceremonial life provides continuity between the present and the Dreaming, explaining the creation of the natural world and is expressed through art, stories and rituals. Art communicates the Dreaming as it illustrates the actions of the ancestral spirit beings in the land. Stories from the Dreaming are the primary form of expression, as they describe how the ancestral spirits, often in the form of animals or people, moved through the land creating rivers, lakes, mountains and other natural phenomena Here is the perfect spot to talk about Dreaming being metatemporal and connecting generations of Indigenous Australians. Then play the opposite, and talk about the role of LACK of ceremonial life, and show the direct importance of it by saying how kinship structures have been undermined by lack of ceremonial life, thus causing larger effects. Really centralise the idea of ceremonial life. . Dreaming stories explain the creation of the natural world and how the Dreaming shapes the daily life of people and animals. Stories are not simply told, and are in many cases performed. Dreaming stories are a major way of teaching Aboriginal children about right and wrong behaviour in society. Aboriginal spirituality is connected very closely to the land, and the Dreaming stories reflect this. Ceremonies also enact Dreaming stories sacred to specific area, and are important as they represent the reliving of the story in a powerfully sacred way. Ancestral beings are made present through the people, objects, words and movements of the ritual. An example of an action used in traditional ritual is the smoking ceremony, used to cleanse and heal. There are also periodic ceremonies unconnected with the life cycle, such as rites of passage including initiation, death and burial, that are important for continuity of knowledge of the Dreaming. Ceremonial life is thus of major importance for the Dreaming.

You know your stuff about ceremonial life! But, a lot of this isn't critical analysis, but a bit more on the description side. I think the most important link you missed out on is the idea that ceremonial life is essential to kinship, the structure of Aboriginal spirituality and society. It's definitely implied, but it takes a few sentences to say because description gets in the way. I'd say that you could reach full marks in about 8-10 sentences for this one. And this is what I would include in my response:

-Ceremonial life is intrinsically important to Aboriginal Spirituality.
-Ceremonial life is an aspect of the kinship groups that structure Aboriginal Spirituality in every aspect.
-Ceremonial life is a forum for discussion and prescription of societal roles. This is how we pass on the oral and metatemporal tradition. (Key point)
-Coming of age ceremonies give new responsibility, and responsibility is key to the Dreaming and kinship.

If we look at this chunk here:
Dreaming stories explain the creation of the natural world and how the Dreaming shapes the daily life of people and animals. Stories are not simply told, and are in many cases performed. Dreaming stories are a major way of teaching Aboriginal children about right and wrong behaviour in society. Aboriginal spirituality is connected very closely to the land, and the Dreaming stories reflect this.
We see great description - there's no doubt you have a good grasp on all of this. But, it isn't critically discussing the importance of ceremonial life. Three sentences without an analytical link!

So, you know the right stuff, it's just about restructuring it. I suggested what I would discuss but you can definitely talk about lots of other things, but every second sentence has to be reviewed so you ask yourself "Have I been critical here?"

Perhaps your question only asked for describe, in which case you've done a great job, although words like oral tradition, metatemporal, and the connection to kinship, could improve the quality of your response.

Hopefully this makes sense...let me know! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

the_rock

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2017, 06:02:58 pm »
Hey guys, I'm currently writing some notes regarding how marriage expresses the beliefs of Judaism, and i'm not sure if the information I'm adding is relevant to the dot point.
In class, we talked about the elements of the ceremony (the wedding itself, bashert, contractual elements, etc), and the symbolism or fulfilment of the Halachah regarding each one.
For example, for the wedding itself, we said that it was unholy to refrain from marriage; important to procreate, have companionship, love + intimacy; and that women were created because "it is not good for a man to be alone." Each aspect is addressed in a similar way. Am I successfully answering the dot point?
Thanks

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #321 on: March 19, 2017, 06:14:45 pm »
+1
Hey guys, I'm currently writing some notes regarding how marriage expresses the beliefs of Judaism, and i'm not sure if the information I'm adding is relevant to the dot point.
In class, we talked about the elements of the ceremony (the wedding itself, bashert, contractual elements, etc), and the symbolism or fulfilment of the Halachah regarding each one.
For example, for the wedding itself, we said that it was unholy to refrain from marriage; important to procreate, have companionship, love + intimacy; and that women were created because "it is not good for a man to be alone." Each aspect is addressed in a similar way. Am I successfully answering the dot point?
Thanks

Hey, welcome to the forums! Since I have minimal knowledge about Judaism I can't give you specific answers, however the easiest way to connect the practice to beliefs is to dig up your Prelim notes on Judaism (or try the Notes section here or consult Google).
So you could address how marriage itself expresses Jewish beliefs, as well as the smaller rituals within the practice that may symbolise or address more specific beliefs (connection to the Halachah and quotes from the Torah would be good for this).

Ask yourself this question for each part of the practice: Why do they do this? Why do they do it in this particular way? What makes this moment important for these people? What core beliefs or truths of Judaism are being referred to in this moment?

Your example about the wedding itself sounds good!  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

ajajaj

• Adventurer
« Reply #322 on: March 19, 2017, 09:59:16 pm »
Hey guys, does anyone have an understanding of the sections within the SOR 1 HSC paper, the type of questions asked, number of marks, and what aspects of the syllabus are asked in these sections?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #323 on: March 19, 2017, 10:06:21 pm »
Hey guys, does anyone have an understanding of the sections within the SOR 1 HSC paper, the type of questions asked, number of marks, and what aspects of the syllabus are asked in these sections?

Hey ajajaj, the paper is like this:
10 MC - comes from religious landscape and Aboriginal Spirituality
5 mark short answer - comes from either religious landscape or Aboriginal Spirituality.
Then there are some more short answers, and you choose one of your religious depth studies for this, and you choose the other religion for the essay. There's 15 marks allocated to the short answers, and 20 marks to the essay. You cannot choose the same religion for both the short answer and the essay, you must choose different religions for both :) You can be tested on any aspect of the syllabus about the religious depth studies in the short answer or essays :)

Have a look at the cover sheet for the 2016 exam to see the over view :)

1937jk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #324 on: March 19, 2017, 11:38:52 pm »
Hey! So I am currently writing an essay on Paul of Tarsus' contribution to the expression and development of Christianity,
We have been provided a quote from one of his proto-epistles, “For just as the body is one and has many members, and all members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ” (1 Corinthians 12).
Can anyone explain how this relates to his theme of "The Church as the Body of Christ" as I am slightly confused how to write a paragraph based off this,
Thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #325 on: March 20, 2017, 12:27:51 am »
Hey! So I am currently writing an essay on Paul of Tarsus' contribution to the expression and development of Christianity,
We have been provided a quote from one of his proto-epistles, “For just as the body is one and has many members, and all members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ” (1 Corinthians 12).
Can anyone explain how this relates to his theme of "The Church as the Body of Christ" as I am slightly confused how to write a paragraph based off this,
Thanks!

I think the quote talks about the Church being a whole made up of many members and aspects. So despite coming from many places and backgrounds, together, Christians are one in Christ, in the Church. I think this relates to Paul's missions as well, joining so many people from different places as one in the Church of the Body of Christ. :)

tahliamadeldine

• Adventurer
« Reply #326 on: March 20, 2017, 12:02:45 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering if you had any scaffold material or advice on structuring an essay including a significant practice, a ethical belief and a significant practice.
For example, I am doing christianity - Marriage, sexual ethics and Paul of Tarsus.
And for Judaism - Synagogue, bioethics and Moses Maimonides. 
Also, any advice for creating study notes for these? Should i use tables?
Thanks!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #327 on: March 20, 2017, 01:24:31 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering if you had any scaffold material or advice on structuring an essay including a significant practice, a ethical belief and a significant practice.
For example, I am doing christianity - Marriage, sexual ethics and Paul of Tarsus.
And for Judaism - Synagogue, bioethics and Moses Maimonides. 
Also, any advice for creating study notes for these? Should i use tables?
Thanks!!

Hey Tahlia! My favourite was to structure those essays is based around the beliefs - You can read about it here!

As for study, you should use tables, charts, diagrams, dot points - Whatever you find useful! You should read this guide on putting together a good set of notes, and you should check out some of the FREE notes we have for SOR in our Notes section! ;D

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2017, 03:40:26 pm »
Thank you so much Elyse! Yes my question was only describe, but I'll definitely keep all the analysis  in mind, makes me realise how important the verbs are!!

Also, In the marking criteria we were provided, it says to "integrate two specific examples to support ideas. Would my example of a smoking ceremony and periodic ceremonies (initiation, death burial) be ok?
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

yharb

• Adventurer
« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2017, 08:09:49 pm »
Hi, would you mind marking + possibly providing some feedback on my 5 marker that I wrote in class? I received a 4/5 for it and I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with just a little bit more feedback as my teacher didn't provide me with much. Thank you so much in advance!!

"The land is my mother. Like a human mother, the land gives us protection, enjoyment and provides our needs - economic, social and religious. We have a human relationship with the land: Mother, daughter, son. When the land is taken from us or destroyed, we feel hurt because we belong to the land and we are part of it."
Outline the relationship between Aboriginal Spirituality and the LRM.
[/b]

The Dreaming is the main foundation of Aboriginal Spirituality. It is the belief system about creation and existence, as well as the establishment of rules and laws of the Indigenous community. Dispossession occurred within the Aboriginal community when they were forcibly "taken from their land" and families, leaving feelings of "hurt" and destruction due to this idea that the Aboriginal people "belong to the land". Dispossession disallowed them to perform their obligations to the land/people, perform rituals and fulfil their kinship responsibilities (such as passing down the Dreaming to the next generations). The Land Rights Movement consisted of public events that were run by significant figures within the Aboriginal community with intentions of taking back their land. For example, in 1992, Eddie Mabo plead a case in the high court to remove the doctrine of 'terra nullius' (no man's land). Mabo's decision was approved, further provoking the 1993 Native Title Act. This was merely the recognition of the unique ties between Aboriginal people and their land. The Land Rights Movement allowed Aboriginal people to regain access to their land, further allowing them to protect it as they refer to it as their "mother". The term "mother" is used to describe the land as it provides them with "protection, enjoyment and fulfilment of their needs". This reconnection with the land allows them to maintain their  spirituality and reconnect with their identity.

Thanks again!!