Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 06:24:44 pm

Author Topic: Standard Math Q+A Thread  (Read 183153 times)  Share 

Juliesokha

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
Re: General Math Q+A Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:37 am »
What is the method of study for maths when I've done heaps of past papers?

Heyy, samee but guess what? there is never enough to learn! So what I do is that I'll go back and do ALL of those papers again. I do them until the point that I sometimes even remember the answers to some of the questions!! (this sounds crazy but yea) ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:41:31 am by Juliesokha »

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #421 on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:58 am »
Heyy, samee but guess what? it is never enough to learn! So what I do is that I'll go back and do ALL of those papers again. I do them until the point that I sometimes even remember the answers to some of the questions!! (this sounds crazy but yea) ;D
I've been doing this too! It got to a point where in my final internal assesment I recognised all the questions as past paper questions except a few, and it was my best exam because of it.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

bridie_2345

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #422 on: October 12, 2017, 03:52:28 pm »
Hi there the correct answer is B, could someone please explain how to do this? Thanks! X

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #423 on: October 12, 2017, 03:54:32 pm »
Hi there the correct answer is B, could someone please explain how to do this? Thanks! X
This type of question has been removed from the syllabus as of 2014. (Back in the past, they were provided the formula for the PV of an annuity. It has now been removed.)

bridie_2345

• Adventurer
« Reply #424 on: October 19, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »
hey there i was wondering if anyone had any questions that focus on the year 11 content needed for the general maths hsc exam? Thanks so much!

ca052267

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #425 on: October 20, 2017, 10:34:40 am »
Questions like this always stuff me up.

Do I calculate the probability from the total surveyed, or the total number of males surveyed?
'In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.'
~ Albert Einstein ~

HSC 2017
Advanced English
General Maths 2
Biology
Food Technology
Textiles and Design

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #426 on: October 20, 2017, 10:48:48 am »
+1

Do I calculate the probability from the total surveyed, or the total number of males surveyed?
Hey,
It's from the total surveyed as the question asks that the person is selected 'from the surveyed group' (which was the total 150 people)
Hope this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #427 on: October 20, 2017, 10:52:30 am »
+1

On top of what Katie said, it's really about looking out for the wording.

When the question is given without some kind of "condition", you should anticipate that you're calculating a probability against the entire sample space. (Which is, of course, the surveyed group here.)

If instead, the question read something like "Out of all the males, how many do not own a mobile phone?" then you would have the condition that you're only considering the males. That's when you would divide by 70 and not 150.

ca052267

• Forum Regular
« Reply #428 on: October 20, 2017, 11:23:36 am »
Hey,
It's from the total surveyed as the question asks that the person is selected 'from the surveyed group' (which was the total 150 people)
Hope this helps :)
On top of what Katie said, it's really about looking out for the wording.

When the question is given without some kind of "condition", you should anticipate that you're calculating a probability against the entire sample space. (Which is, of course, the surveyed group here.)

If instead, the question read something like "Out of all the males, how many do not own a mobile phone?" then you would have the condition that you're only considering the males. That's when you would divide by 70 and not 150.

Thank you!!

I was stressing out because I usually get them right, but when I was marking, I got it wrong.

I realised afterwards that I had looked at the wrong answer... but at least you cleared it up. :)
~ Albert Einstein ~

HSC 2017
Advanced English
General Maths 2
Biology
Food Technology
Textiles and Design

Aaron2230

• Adventurer
« Reply #429 on: October 20, 2017, 11:29:49 am »
Can someone explain to me how to find the upper and lower quartile again for this question i havent done it in a while. please and thank you

ca052267

• Forum Regular
« Reply #430 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:54 am »
Can someone explain to me how to find the upper and lower quartile again for this question i havent done it in a while. please and thank you

Would the answer be 172-136 = 36?

From what I gathered you just calculate the quartile values straight form the ogive. Not sure if I'm right though..
~ Albert Einstein ~

HSC 2017
Advanced English
General Maths 2
Biology
Food Technology
Textiles and Design

Aaron2230

• Adventurer
« Reply #431 on: October 20, 2017, 12:22:10 pm »
Would the answer be 172-136 = 36?

From what I gathered you just calculate the quartile values straight form the ogive. Not sure if I'm right though..
what i was wondering i how do i find the ogive again. the answer is correct just forgot how to do it

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #432 on: October 20, 2017, 12:34:53 pm »
Do we need to know the volume of a sphere?
Only the surface area formula is on the sheet and I don't remebr learning it but it's in the 2001 past paper I'm trying to do  :(
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #433 on: October 20, 2017, 12:37:06 pm »
what i was wondering i how do i find the ogive again. the answer is correct just forgot how to do it
The graph is the ogive.

The ogive and the cumulative frequency polygon (aka cumulative frequency graph) are the same thing.

Because in total we have 400 observations (or frequencies, not sure how you prefer to call it in general), the upper quartile is when the ogive reaches a cumulative frequency of 300. Additionally, the lower quartile is when the ogive reaches a cumulative frequency of 100.

From there, you just read across. It appears as though the cumulative frequency reaches 300 when the height reaches 172, and it reaches 100 when the height reaches 136. So 172 and 136 are the upper and lower quartiles (and as already mentioned, the difference between them is the IQR).

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #434 on: October 20, 2017, 12:42:06 pm »
Do we need to know the volume of a sphere?
Only the surface area formula is on the sheet and I don't remebr learning it but it's in the 2001 past paper I'm trying to do  :(
The syllabus changed in 2013 and in the old formula sheet they give you the formula for the volume of a sphere.

Taking a look at the updated syllabus, I do not see it in the HSC Maths General 2 section (although I did see it in the General 1 section). So I presume it has been removed.

EDIT: I checked with Steph. It still appears from time to time so it's best to know the formula just in case.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:55:06 pm by RuiAce »