Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:17:40 am

Author Topic: actuarial studies @ melb uni  (Read 25071 times)  Share 

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
Re: actuarial studies @ melb uni
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2010, 01:20:47 pm »
does anyone know what type of grades you need to achieve to achieve to obtain expemtion for AIA?

I'm guessing H2A or higher, mabys even H1. Is it actually realistic to obtain H1 for all your subjects? i.e. how much of a freak do you need to be?

Ilovemathsmeth

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2010, 01:27:21 pm »
Protip Ilovemathsmeth; never mention you are doing something for the money, even if you are. It's pretty sad really.

LOL well I love the Maths too =D
Raw Scores:
Psychology 50 | Mathematical Methods 49 | Further Mathematics 49 | Accounting 49 | Chemistry 44 | English 43
ATAR: 99.75

darlok

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »
does anyone know what type of grades you need to achieve to achieve to obtain expemtion for AIA?

I'm guessing H2A or higher, mabys even H1. Is it actually realistic to obtain H1 for all your subjects? i.e. how much of a freak do you need to be?

You need 73 on the exam.

AzureBlue

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2010, 01:43:18 pm »
I'm majoring in economics and finance, So far I have enjoyed micro more than macro because I want to go into consulting after uni.
Good choice :)
If you do a Bcomm majoring in economics and finance with a DipMSc on top, do you get to choose any non-maths breadth subjects at all? Or is it basically all decided? I think that would be my second choice for an undergraduate degree at UoM. How many non-maths breadth subjects do you get in Bcomm majoring in economics with a DipMSc (if I don't do finance in a double-major with economics)?

Yeah, micro sounds really interesting and I'm looking forward to it, have you done any econometrics so far?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:45:25 pm by AzureBlue »

AzureBlue

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2010, 01:44:59 pm »
You need 73 on the exam.
So you actually need more than a pass on all your subjects... :O
Maybe I should opt for easier breadth subjects if I'm seeking accreditation then. :P

laynie

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2010, 01:47:18 pm »
You need 73 on the exam.
So you actually need more than a pass on all your subjects... :O
Maybe I should opt for easier breadth subjects if I'm seeking accreditation then. :P

73 in certain core actuarial subjects, not total average.

AzureBlue

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2010, 01:51:37 pm »
73 in certain core actuarial subjects, not total average.
Ok, so that would be:
First year Intro Microeconomics, Accounting Reports and Analysis, Vector Calculus -- Intro Macroeconomics, Accounting Transactions and Analysis, Accel Maths 2.
Second year - Organisational Behavior, Prob, Financial Maths I, Business Finance --Intermediate Macro, Stats, Financial Maths II.
Third year - Actuarial Modelling I, Actuarial Modelling II, Financial Maths III -- Contigencies, Actuarial Stats, and Models for insurance and finance.

^ The vast majority are core subjects, apart from 1 breadth subject each year.

laynie

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2010, 06:49:40 pm »

however I have quite a few friends studying Actuarial who find it very dull and not very challenging

:o reli? this i have never heard before......the dull bit, sure, but not challenging??

Their words, not mine.

(They have around a high 80s average)

wow, ok do you know what maths subjects they did in VCE/how they went in them? Also how far are they into the course?

Spesh and Methods, most got high 40s in Methods and Mid-High 40s in Spesh. Most are in second with a couple in third.

darlok

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2010, 09:29:41 pm »
I'm majoring in economics and finance, So far I have enjoyed micro more than macro because I want to go into consulting after uni.
Good choice :)
If you do a Bcomm majoring in economics and finance with a DipMSc on top, do you get to choose any non-maths breadth subjects at all? Or is it basically all decided? I think that would be my second choice for an undergraduate degree at UoM. How many non-maths breadth subjects do you get in Bcomm majoring in economics with a DipMSc (if I don't do finance in a double-major with economics)?

Yeah, micro sounds really interesting and I'm looking forward to it, have you done any econometrics so far?

I'm taking all my breadth in math and doing the diploma without cross crediting, meaning I am taking between 14-16 math subjects and 16-18 commerce subjects.

Because I am doing the math stream for the quantitative requirement, I won't do econometrics until the level 3 subject.

If you wanted to you could do the diploma in math and take 6-8 non math breadth in your course, but that would mean only taking 8 math subjects which is the bare minimum and is really only enough to take the exact subjects to get 1 major.

I'm doing the subjects to get 2 majors, maybe 3 if I get to go to the exchange institution I want. This is because most math majors are 3 third level subjects in the specific area plus any other math subject at third level. I doubt they will let me put more than one major on the diploma though.

AzureBlue

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2010, 05:20:55 pm »
Ah ok, so there's no cross-credited subjects that count for both your DipMSc and Bcomm when you're majoring in eco? Do you think a double commerce major would fit with a DipMSc if I only did 2-3 non-maths breadth (ie. Principles of Business Law (1st year), Corporate Law (2nd year)?  Wow... 3 majors... what other one are you planning to add?

laynie

« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2010, 06:24:05 pm »
Ah ok, so there's no cross-credited subjects that count for both your DipMSc and Bcomm when you're majoring in eco? Do you think a double commerce major would fit with a DipMSc if I only did 2-3 non-maths breadth (ie. Principles of Business Law (1st year), Corporate Law (2nd year)?  Wow... 3 majors... what other one are you planning to add?

You can't double major as an actuarial student, unless you get on the Dean's Honours List which allows you to take on an extra 25 points of study.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:17 pm »
You can't double major as an actuarial student, unless you get on the Dean's Honours List which allows you to take on an extra 25 points of study.

Before someone asks this is the top 3% of students in the course.

Also, economics is really strange but I'm thinking of doing Introductory Microeconomics 1 as my final breadth subject...i heard it was relatively simple concepts being expressed in terms of logical rules/functions...and i heard that from an arts student, so is it a good idea to do it as a breadth or will it be a lot of work for not much return?

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2010, 07:26:31 pm »
It's a fair bit of work, but very very useful and interesting, so i'd recommend it
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

AzureBlue

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2010, 08:27:54 pm »
I know. I'm considering either Bcomm majoring in Actuarial Studies OR Bcomm majoring in Economics and Finance with a DipMSc. Not double major in economics and act stud, which I would love to do but is not an option.

laynie

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2010, 02:12:39 pm »
@AzureBlue
My friend is currently in second year actuarial and they did Engineering Systems Design and Engineering Computation as breadth so far. They were wondering what kind of subject to do next year as their elective subject next year (can be any faculty including Commerce or Mathematics).
Got any ideas?
Thanks