Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:03:54 am

Author Topic: 3U Maths Question Thread  (Read 1239942 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: 3U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1695 on: March 19, 2017, 09:14:03 pm »
Max/min troubles TT-TT

Approached this question using
V = 16(16-2x)^2 and then got lost. Apparently x = 8/3 and I got 8

...I honestly have no idea where the 1/3 went

Hey teapancakes! I can't see the question - Perhaps the attachment didn't work? :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1696 on: March 19, 2017, 09:28:06 pm »
Max/min troubles TT-TT

Approached this question using
V = 16(16-2x)^2 and then got lost. Apparently x = 8/3 and I got 8

...I honestly have no idea where the 1/3 went
Quick check on WolframAlpha shows that x=8 is correct.
Hey teapancakes! I can't see the question - Perhaps the attachment didn't work? :)
Jamon?  :o

Unless you meant you wanted to see the original question

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1697 on: March 19, 2017, 10:00:02 pm »
Unless you meant you wanted to see the original question

Oh yeah you are totally right, I didn't need the original :P

teapancakes08

• Forum Regular
  • "Smile for another day"
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1698 on: March 19, 2017, 11:25:19 pm »

This one?

(Hoping it actually sends this time, sorry)

But here's the question if it doesn't work:

A square sheet of metal is 16cm on each side. Squares of side x cm are cut from each corner. The sheet is then bent along the dotted lines to form an open box.

What is the maximum volume of the box?
Certified awkward turtle; HSC '17

Subjects:
English Advanced
Japanese Continuers
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Physics
Visual Arts

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1699 on: March 19, 2017, 11:35:18 pm »
This one?

(Hoping it actually sends this time, sorry)

But here's the question if it doesn't work:

A square sheet of metal is 16cm on each side. Squares of side x cm are cut from each corner. The sheet is then bent along the dotted lines to form an open box.

What is the maximum volume of the box?

Ah yep! Cool, well your function is correct, but the answer is \(x=\frac{8}{3}\), \(x=8\) corresponds to a minimum not a maximum!

The working would be:

So the answers are both there - You can use a second derivative test or a point either side test, you'll find that \(x=\frac{8}{3}\) is the maximum we are after ;D and just on the basis of sensibility, \(x=8\) would mean that the cutouts get rid of all your material, so there is no box! So it makes sense why it would be the minimum :)

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1700 on: March 21, 2017, 08:23:09 pm »
hey! for graphing functions, how do you tell if a function just has a hole, or if it has an asymptote? It's probably really simple but I always seem to get mixed up
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1701 on: March 21, 2017, 08:28:12 pm »
hey! for graphing functions, how do you tell if a function just has a hole, or if it has an asymptote? It's probably really simple but I always seem to get mixed up

Hey Steph! This isn't mandated knowledge in 3U, as far as I know, I never learned about it until uni!

Basically, a hole is a removable discontinuity. For example, consider:

This function has a hole at \(x=1\), because we can factor out \((x-1)\) to obtain:

So what was once a discontinuity, is no longer ;D thus, \(x=1\) is a hole, and we can fill the hole through cancellation (often with factorisation first) :) it is a hole if we can get rid of it, if we can't it is an asymptote!

Does that help? ;D

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1702 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:14 pm »
+1
Hey Steph! This isn't mandated knowledge in 3U, as far as I know, I never learned about it until uni!

This function has a hole at \(x=1\), because we can factor out \((x-1)\) to obtain:

So what was once a discontinuity, is no longer ;D thus, \(x=1\) is a hole, and we can fill the hole through cancellation (often with factorisation first) :) it is a hole if we can get rid of it, if we can't it is an asymptote!

Does that help? ;D

I think so, thank you! :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1703 on: March 21, 2017, 09:22:26 pm »
hey, sorry to bug you guys again,

would someone be able to explain how you find limits approaching negative infinity? so for example the limit as x -> -∞ for (e^x) / (3+e^x)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1704 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:50 am »
+1
hey, sorry to bug you guys again,

would someone be able to explain how you find limits approaching negative infinity? so for example the limit as x -> -∞ for (e^x) / (3+e^x)

Does that help? ;D
Well the holes in the graph technically are in the course. A few removable discontinuities appear in Maths in Focus, and some jump discontinuities appear everywhere in piece-wise functions. However you're right in that the terminology isn't formally introduced.

That being said, holes appear for both removable AND jump discontinuities. Colloquially speaking, the removable one is called that because you can remove it to make it continuous again
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:47:12 am by RuiAce »

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1705 on: March 22, 2017, 07:56:54 am »

Well the holes in the graph technically are in the course. A few removable discontinuities appear in Maths in Focus, and some jump discontinuities appear everywhere in piece-wise functions. However you're right in that the terminology isn't formally introduced.

That being said, holes appear for both removable AND jump discontinuities. Colloquially speaking, the removable one is called that because you can remove it to make it continuous again

Ohh okay thank you so much!

yasmineturner

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Philips
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1706 on: March 22, 2017, 01:32:04 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could please help me as I am not understanding part c of this question.

A particle moves in a line so that its distance from the origin at time t is x.
b) If a=3x-2x^3 and v=0 at x=1 find v in terms of x.
I have already done this and my answer was v^2=3x^2-x^4-2, which is correct.

c) Describe the motion of the particle. Is it in simple harmonic motion?

I have no idea how to do part c and in the worked solutions I don't understand what they do as they have v^2=y in the solutions.

Thankyou :)

legorgo18

• Trendsetter
  • A future lawyer.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1707 on: March 23, 2017, 12:55:02 am »
Hey, can someone draw this diagram... got so lost in the words

A farmhand is filling a row of feed troughs with grain. The distance between adjacent troughs is 5 metres, and he has parked the truck with the grain 1 metre from the closest trough. He decides that he will fill the closest trough first and work his way to the far end. Each trough requires three bucketloads to fill it completely .

Cheers!
HSC 2017: Advanced English(94), 2U Maths(97), 3U Maths(49), Bio(91), Chem(88), Chinese in context(88)

Atar: 97.55

Studying a bachelor of  actuarial studies/ bachelor of laws at UNSW

Tutoring details: https://highschooltutors.com.au/tutor/12153

2017 Blakehurst internals: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13l8nV_efhmYwlA1hM5grQnymew5pznrn

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1708 on: March 23, 2017, 12:18:20 pm »
Hey, can someone draw this diagram... got so lost in the words

A farmhand is filling a row of feed troughs with grain. The distance between adjacent troughs is 5 metres, and he has parked the truck with the grain 1 metre from the closest trough. He decides that he will fill the closest trough first and work his way to the far end. Each trough requires three bucketloads to fill it completely .

Cheers!

Hey! Here are the first few troughs ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1709 on: March 23, 2017, 12:34:39 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could please help me as I am not understanding part c of this question.

A particle moves in a line so that its distance from the origin at time t is x.
b) If a=3x-2x^3 and v=0 at x=1 find v in terms of x.
I have already done this and my answer was v^2=3x^2-x^4-2, which is correct.

c) Describe the motion of the particle. Is it in simple harmonic motion?

I have no idea how to do part c and in the worked solutions I don't understand what they do as they have v^2=y in the solutions.

Thankyou :)

Hey! So if we factorise that expression:

So the velocity will be zero (meaning the particle is stationary) at 4 points - \(\pm1,\pm\sqrt{2}\). You would describe the motion in that sense - Where it stops.

Let's examine that a little more closely. We know that \(v=0\) at \(x=1\). At this point, the acceleration is positive, so it will proceed to move to the right. By the time it stops again at \(x=\sqrt{2}\), the acceleration is negative, meaning that it will move to the left after this. What is actually going to happen is that the particle will oscillate between \(x=1\) and \(x=\sqrt{2}\), never moving from between these two points. Indeed, if we find the point where acceleration is zero:

It is between the two stop points, which makes sense. Buuut, it isn't exactly halfway between, so it is not simple harmonic motion for that reason ;D

This is how I'd look at it - I think you could also go about converting the function to a function of time, not position, but pretty sure you'd need to do a nasty integral to do that.

What did the solutions do? Does it seem similar to my approach? :) (\(v^2=y\) was probably just for convenience) ;D