Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:30:29 pm

Author Topic: Lecture note taking  (Read 1502 times)  Share 

Rumena

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Lecture note taking
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:32:08 pm »
Hello everyone, hope you're all doing good :)
I just wanted to ask you guys how you take your lecture notes? (I'm mainly asking it for biology subjects since I'm doing Biomedicine)
I've seen many students convert their lecture slides into word documents and I actually used this method throughout my first year but I just find it too time consuming. I've also seen students type up their notes on the actual slides and I've been thinking to do that instead since it'll save heaps of my time and so I wanted to ask if anyone has used this method and found it helpful at all? Because there are actually heaps of slides in just one lecture for bio and so going through them during exam time might be horrifying but if anyone has any experience on this I'd really appreciate it if you could give some advice?!!
Thanks!

BNard

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: Lecture note taking
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 06:40:53 pm »
+1
Biology subjects are definitlety some of the most dense to make notes for - I feel your pain!

I started out annotating the slides with a summary of what the lecturer said, but I found that it made it harder to really cement the knowledge in my mind.  Now I've found it best to take a two pronged approach - annotate my slides in the lectures and rewatch the lectures (1.5 x speed) if I feel I didn't have time to write down any important verbal points at the end of the week.  However, I also have a notebook for each subject that I handwrite summary notes in, re draw important diagrams and compile a glossary for the subject. I do this on a week's delay, so that I can get a sense of what were the most important parts of the previous week's content, or the areas that I understood less.  This also allows me to draw extra information from the readings or outside sources if i need to. I find this book much more useful than the lecture notes come exam time, as it is a single document and I can format it as I see fit.

Hope you find a method that works for you!
2017 - 2019: UoM BSci (Path)

esile52

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: Lecture note taking
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 09:59:11 am »
I've recently made use of OneNote in lectures! After importing the lecture slides, it is really easy in getting all the info down on the relevant slide. This has proved beneficial due to the lecturers speaking rather fast!
Later in the week, I do summaries and sometimes rewatch the lecture to get anything I've missed.