Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:53:03 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605657 times)  Share 

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1575 on: August 07, 2015, 10:30:15 pm »
Alright thanks Alter! :)
2015: Psychology, Mathematical Methods CAS, Legal Studies, Accounting, English
2016: Commerce (Accounting/Finance) UoM

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1576 on: August 08, 2015, 10:35:19 am »
+1
Hey guys, in the exam, is it best to start from the questions that are high in marks such as the 10 marker and the 8 marker etc, or do it in the natural order from beginning to end?

And most people make their stupidest mistakes near the start of the exam, so keep that in mind if starting with any significant questions.

I personally always do it in the natural order - I'm wiped out if I do long ones early; I know what time management I need if I want to reserve enough time for the long ones at the end; I never forget to do any questions; and I like warming up at the start.

Only way to know is to do a few under exam conditions yourself.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1577 on: August 08, 2015, 03:12:32 pm »
Guys, the study design states that we must have 'an overview of three types of sanctions and their specific purpose'. Now my book 'Justice and Outcomes VCE Legal Studies 3/4' has more than 3 types of sanctions. Does that mean that you only need to know 3 of them for the exam and therefore they can't ask about a specific type of sanction on the exam?

thaaanyan

« Reply #1578 on: August 08, 2015, 03:20:31 pm »
Guys, the study design states that we must have 'an overview of three types of sanctions and their specific purpose'. Now my book 'Justice and Outcomes VCE Legal Studies 3/4' has more than 3 types of sanctions. Does that mean that you only need to know 3 of them for the exam and therefore they can't ask about a specific type of sanction on the exam?
yeah, i guess so, that seems about right. if it doesn't specify a type of sanction they can't ask you a question on that specific type. can i ask you guys where in the course you're up to/where your class is up to? i think mine is lagging behind.
also, i was wandering, can vcaa ask an 8/10 mark question on "evaluate mediation" or something? like an 8 - 10 mark one just ONE ADR? thanks!

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1579 on: August 08, 2015, 03:27:43 pm »
yeah, i guess so, that seems about right. if it doesn't specify a type of sanction they can't ask you a question on that specific type. can i ask you guys where in the course you're up to/where your class is up to? i think mine is lagging behind.
also, i was wandering, can vcaa ask an 8/10 mark question on "evaluate mediation" or something? like an 8 - 10 mark one just ONE ADR? thanks!

Thanks! Currently we're about to finish 'Criminal Procedures' and are about to start 'Civil Procedures' followed by the 'Jury System'. What about you guys?

thaaanyan

« Reply #1580 on: August 08, 2015, 06:46:30 pm »
Thanks! Currently we're about to finish 'Criminal Procedures' and are about to start 'Civil Procedures' followed by the 'Jury System'. What about you guys?
we're roughly a chapter behind you guys, finishing off the adversary system. i'm a bit behind (on the chapter before that) due to some health issues, but i think i can catch up! :) thank-you!

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1581 on: August 08, 2015, 11:34:35 pm »
we're roughly a chapter behind you guys, finishing off the adversary system. i'm a bit behind (on the chapter before that) due to some health issues, but i think i can catch up! :) thank-you!

Ah ok fair enough! I hope your health issues are all good now :)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1582 on: August 10, 2015, 03:43:19 pm »
Are precedents established in the Court of Appeal binding on the Supreme Court (Trial Division)?
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1583 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:10 pm »
Are precedents established in the Court of Appeal binding on the Supreme Court (Trial Division)?

What do you think? Try applying your definition of precedent and let people confirm your understanding or explain why they disagree with you.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

Corbz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1584 on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:04 pm »
I'm curious to how to answer this question I was given if anyone could help :)

Penny was on trial at VCAT, she was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment and is now appealing this decision.

Reword this statement and then explain the role of VCAT using one example 7 Marks

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1585 on: August 12, 2015, 10:12:10 pm »
+1
I'm curious to how to answer this question I was given if anyone could help :)

Penny was on trial at VCAT, she was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment and is now appealing this decision.

Reword this statement and then explain the role of VCAT using one example 7 Marks
Hmm interesting question, I'll try and answer.

Well at VCAT there are hearings not trials, plus imprisonment is a criminal sanction and will not be imposed at a hearing at VCAT as VCAT only hears civil matters. And also, even if we assume that Penny is appealing the 5 year imprisonment, all appeals from VCAT can only be made on points of law. As for the role of VCAT I'm sure you can do that yourself.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1586 on: August 13, 2015, 08:28:02 am »
Hmm interesting question, I'll try and answer.

Well at VCAT there are hearings not trials, plus imprisonment is a criminal sanction and will not be imposed at a hearing at VCAT as VCAT only hears civil matters. And also, even if we assume that Penny is appealing the 5 year imprisonment, all appeals from VCAT can only be made on points of law. As for the role of VCAT I'm sure you can do that yourself.

Absolutely - but I was thinking of short-cutting it and just flipping VCAT to the County Court (or Supreme Court) to make the rest correct...?

7 marks is a really strange allocation for a question that can be answered that quickly, though - and, let's face it, the role of VCAT only takes so long. Can we perhaps correct the punctuation, too?
Good luck!

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1587 on: August 13, 2015, 03:43:40 pm »
Absolutely - but I was thinking of short-cutting it and just flipping VCAT to the County Court (or Supreme Court) to make the rest correct...?

7 marks is a really strange allocation for a question that can be answered that quickly, though - and, let's face it, the role of VCAT only takes so long. Can we perhaps correct the punctuation, too?

True, I guess you could do that but I thought due to the fact that the second part of the question was on the role of VCAT, we had to keep the answer based around VCAT.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:56:11 pm by cameotodd »

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1588 on: August 14, 2015, 08:22:40 am »
True, I guess you could do that but I thought due to the fact that the second part of the question was on the role of VCAT, we had to keep the answer based around VCAT.

That might be what the person who wrote the question was thinking, but, if so, they forgot that they have to actually put that requirement into the question!
Good luck!

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1589 on: August 19, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »
Hey guys, i was just wondering (sorta late to ask :P) but do we always include cases into every question? i know they aren't really necessary in questions with less allocated marks, but i'm kinda confused about the whole idea about cases?

I've been using the standard cases (Mabo case, trigwell case, Kevin and jennifer etc.) , but i just don't see how i can insert them into a 4-6 markers? Are they really only reserved for the 8-10 markers? thanks guys :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:35:03 pm by HasibA »
Uni and life