Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 02:32:00 am

Author Topic: GAT Questions and Discussion  (Read 130662 times)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: GAT Questions and Discussion
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2018, 10:57:24 am »
For the first writing task is just rewriting the information you’re given in an organised way? I don’t really get the point of it.
It's basically just checking that you can understand the information it gives you and then organise it in your head and explain it. The information won't be sorted - there'll be lots of different bits of information. Basically you just have to read all of it, sort it into appropriate paragraphs and then explain everything you just read.

Sort of like the reading comprehension we used to have to do for NAPLAN.

If you think you're going to have trouble organising the information then bring highlighters and sort it like that (or make a rough plan).

I've heard from a GAT examiner herself that examiners typically do not like creative pieces but they at times do give decent marks if it still achieves the criteria. Not sure though...
I've never heard of anyone writing a creative for it - it just seems like a waste of time imo.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2018, 06:24:05 pm »
Hi. Just a couple of questions regarding the writing tasks that I can't quite figure out.

Writing Task 1: so with this, I've heard that it can be good to tackle this creatively (e.g. from a tour guides perspective). If I was to do this, is it best to reference things like graphs as Figure 1, figure 2, etc. or as "I pointed to the graph on the wall, which showed..." or something else? Also, with graphs and data, do we need to analyse this, or just mention it?

Writing Task 2: lots have people have mentioned that you can do something like a speech for writing task two. Can you also take a more creative response as well? For example, The 2015 GAT had statements like "Traditional ceremonies bring us together to celebrate our social and cultural history." and "Important milestones in our lives need to be marked by celebrations or formal ceremonies in order to give our lives meaning.". Could you write a speech from the perspective of a event organiser or something talking to prospective clients or something to encourage them to plan an event or to employees to encourage them to work to their highest potential (sorry, not great at coming up with creative ideas, but just a couple of vague examples I quickly came up with). And as for evidence, does it have to be facts like "40% of people agree that ..." or can it be anecdotal evidence? I am assuming you can't just make up facts.

Sorry, just a couple of things that have been bugging me that I would rather go in knowing rather than stressing over them (even though I know that there is no reason at all to stress).  ::)
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2018, 06:50:44 pm »
And as for evidence, does it have to be facts like "40% of people agree that ..." or can it be anecdotal evidence? I am assuming you can't just make up facts.
I think anecdotal is Okay.
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Mitze5

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2018, 07:32:58 am »
+1
Do specific marks on the GAT correlate to specific subjects, for example may it be possible that the derived score for english is mostly composed of the writing components while the math score is derived from the maths related questions. This year I'm accelerating Methods and Physics and am wondering on the impact and necessity of doing well in the English parts. Does anyone know how they mark each specific subjects to the test? Would it be wiser for me to just focus on Multi-choice? Any help is appreciated.

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2018, 09:12:45 am »
+1
Although yes, the subjects do correlate to the specific questions, it's best to give the GAT your best shot, as it helps the assessors to get a better idea of how you perform as a student. So although your derived score would be based mainly off the MC, if you don't try for the english part, they don't know how good you actually are.
Carpe Vinum

Raw30

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2018, 04:59:33 pm »
Quick Question,
I’m in year 11, and am not doing a 3/4. I don’t have to do the GAT, right? A few mates still reckon I have to

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2018, 05:01:23 pm »
+2
Quick Question,
I’m in year 11, and am not doing a 3/4. I don’t have to do the GAT, right? A few mates still reckon I have to

Hey, welcome to the forums! :)

My understanding is you only sit it if you're completing at least one 3/4 subject. According to VCAA:

Quote from: VCAA
All students enrolled in one or more VCE or scored VCE VET Unit 3 and 4 sequences must sit the GAT.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2018, 05:07:05 pm »
Quick Question,
Nope. As J41 said. VCAA only expects people doing 3/4 subjects to do the GAT.

I feel really weird about it now...
Literally no-one I have spoken to has done anything to prepare, and now it's like, hours away. Hopefully I wont be needing it for a derived score or anything, but it's still kinda... disquieting?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:08:36 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2018, 06:20:03 pm »
Good luck tomorrow everybody who’s sitting the GAT! Is anyone going to use the GATchphrase?  ::)

napkin101

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2018, 06:26:57 pm »
What's the basic structure of the first writing task? It just gives you a bunch of info but how do you organise it into a piece of writing? Thanks!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2018, 06:28:57 pm »
What's the basic structure of the first writing task? It just gives you a bunch of info but how do you organise it into a piece of writing? Thanks!
Any way you want, you just have to sort the information into paragraphs that are clear and make sense.

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2018, 06:32:39 pm »
Just a quick thought...are you allowed to highlight information in the question book or write in it or anything?
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

napkin101

• Trailblazer
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2018, 06:32:58 pm »
Any way you want, you just have to sort the information into paragraphs that are clear and make sense.
Ok cool. How many paragraphs are recommended? Thanks

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:39 pm »
Just a quick thought...are you allowed to highlight information in the question book or write in it or anything?
You can do whatever you want to the question book - you'll get to keep it at the end.

Ok cool. How many paragraphs are recommended? Thanks
Aim for 3-4 but it really depends on what information we get. If its easier for you to organise it into 5 paragraphs then do 5 shorter paragraphs, if it's easier to organise into 3 then do 3 longer paragraphs. Also try to do a brief intro basically just saying the overall topic.

napkin101

• Trailblazer
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2018, 07:00:49 pm »
Aim for 3-4 but it really depends on what information we get. If its easier for you to organise it into 5 paragraphs then do 5 shorter paragraphs, if it's easier to organise into 3 then do 3 longer paragraphs. Also try to do a brief intro basically just saying the overall topic.
Ok thank you! Sorry for the constant nagging but is that 3-4 body paragraphs excluding the intro?