Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 11:21:10 am

Author Topic: Reading notes or heinemann?  (Read 786 times)  Share 

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Reading notes or heinemann?
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:15:25 pm »
+1
Should i prioritise reading the heinemann textbook or read other notes (such as from top scorers or like NEAP advantage series/atar notes) to fully grasp chemistry? I feel like that i would have to filter through a lot of unnecessary information in the textbook (like biology) but my teacher recommends me reading it. And would anyone recommend doing questions from the TB?

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Re: Reading notes or heinemann?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:23:34 pm »
+5
Should i prioritise reading the heinemann textbook or read other notes (such as from top scorers or like NEAP advantage series/atar notes) to fully grasp chemistry? I feel like that i would have to filter through a lot of unnecessary information in the textbook (like biology) but my teacher recommends me reading it. And would anyone recommend doing questions from the TB?

Hi! Interesting question - I'll help you out here with a bit of what I'm doing - this method is what works for me, something else might be better for you  ;D

As I'm doing chem this year, the textbook (were using edrolo this year) is basically what I'm following for my course (but my teacher will ofcourse intervene if theres something that needs to be taught that isnt in the textbook). I'm not really reading the book word for word as such, as I do feel there is a lot of unnessecary information. Especially in Heinemann, I do feel theres a lottttttt of info in it. I'm not reading the textbook thoroughly, but if theres a concept that you need help with, it is worth reading. I think for the maximum use of your time, read what you think will benefit you. Sometimes textbooks have complicated paragraphs, which may even confuse you more. I think student notes, or other company notes are really helpful, as you know everythings pretty much in the course, and it is very concise. It is def worth dong those.

Also, in regard to textbook questions, the more practise you get the better, its helpful doing them to consolidate your knowledge. Ofcourse, if you feel like it is getting repetitive, don't keep going, make sure you start doing more exam style questions.

Hope this helps  :D

EDIT: Also when I read the textbook, I try not to just mindlessly read. I sticky note and highlight, and I also try and 'challenge' some of the things written, anaylse statements, etc. It is also helpful to read the chapter, and form your own questions from what you've read.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:27:09 pm by ArtyDreams »

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Reading notes or heinemann?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 09:03:12 pm »
+6
Hey! I think the Heineman textbook is a great resource for you to get the hang of the theory aspect of VCE chem. Yes there is quite a lot of info in there which might not directly relate to the exam but I find the examples / case studies in the textbook to help in understanding real life applications of theory, which doesn't commonly get addressed in commercial notes or those from top scorers.

Tbh I think the textbook is a MUCH better investment than commercial notes as the notes you buy from tutoring companies are literally just shortened pieces of textbook information. The textbook is much more comprehensive.

And would anyone recommend doing questions from the TB?
Yes! I find it to be a great place to start for SAC revision, though they can't be the only questions you do as they're more repetitive exercises for you to understand the process of working out, rather than helping you tackle more advanced questions.

Also when I read the textbook, I try not to just mindlessly read.
Absolutely!
I think this is one reason why I'd recommend the textbook over commercial notes. As commercial notes are designed to quickly get t the point and outline all the important dotpoints, it's much more tempting to just rote-learn what you're reading. I find the textbook would challenge your understanding a bit more in that regard.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU