Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:50:24 am

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 277942 times)  Share 

1937jk

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #345 on: March 23, 2017, 10:41:24 pm »
Hey :)
Ok, so I never used the terms biocentric or anthropocentric in my studies. A quick google tells me that biocentric views put humans on the sound level as animals and other living things. An anthropocentric view puts humans above animals and even God(s). I'm not sure if these definitions alter when applied to SOR, I haven't come across these terms in the course. But, if it's true: biocentric believes all living organisms are equal, and anthropocentric views put humans above animals.

As for stewardship, I'm guessing you're talking about Christianity, but you could be talking about other religions and I suppose it would still apply similarly. You definitely could apply it, but consider what you're doing with it. So, to be a steward of God is to live on Earth by taking care of God's will, playing it out in support of God's wishes. So, in Christianity, typically you'd be going against stewardship to perform euthanasia. But, you could talk about stewardship to humans (in an anthropocentric view ;)) to other humans, and say that performing euthanasia is being a steward to your peer.

Ohhh haha! Well you're explanations have clarified my understandings so thank you! I have attached an image that has helped me relate it to Christianity I suppose if you want to use it for future reference,
and cool thank you again! sorry about the unclear identification of which religion I was referring too, but yes definitely was talking about Christianity and that helps heaps so THANK YOU!!!! ;D

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #346 on: March 24, 2017, 12:09:25 pm »
Hey! Was just wondering if the post count thing for making applies to short answer questions for sor as well? If so, is it also 15 per short answer? thanks

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2017, 12:23:20 pm »
+1
Hey! Was just wondering if the post count thing for making applies to short answer questions for sor as well? If so, is it also 15 per short answer? thanks

No it doesn't! Which is awesome  ;D
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2017, 12:23:54 pm »
+1

Hey! Nah, with short answers we're happy to just answer one here or there - Depending on how busy we are it could take a bit that's all!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #349 on: March 24, 2017, 08:24:08 pm »
Ohhh haha! Well you're explanations have clarified my understandings so thank you! I have attached an image that has helped me relate it to Christianity I suppose if you want to use it for future reference,
and cool thank you again! sorry about the unclear identification of which religion I was referring too, but yes definitely was talking about Christianity and that helps heaps so THANK YOU!!!! ;D

Thanks for sharing that image! I'll start applying the "biocentric" or "anthropocentric" views when I look at ethics now, I've never considered it this way! :) Glad I can help.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
« Reply #350 on: March 24, 2017, 08:50:36 pm »
Hey! Nah, with short answers we're happy to just answer one here or there - Depending on how busy we are it could take a bit that's all!

Ahhh thank you!! Will deffs post a set of them up soon then :D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »
+1
Thanks heaps for looking at my 5 markers! Really helpful :)

I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on this essay question for my half yearly   ;D

Hey Snew, I'm sorry this slipped through the cracks.
Hopefully this is in time for your exam!

“God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:9)
With specific reference to the above quotation, explain how the practice of Baptism and Christian Bioethical teachings guides adherents in living a Christian life.  This is a very unusual short answer question!

The practice of Baptism and Christian bioethical teachings show the desire of Christian adherents to follow the example set by Jesus, and apply the beliefs of the tradition to all aspects of living. I'd use this as an opportunity to quote the stimulus, even if just from "fellowship" onwards.

Through baptism, an adherent a person/individual.proclaims to be an adherent to the Christian tradition, and thus profess their faith in Christianity and its principal beliefs. When an adherent is initiated into the whole Christian life, their actions of morality and ethical principles are largely drawn from sources of ethics that determine what human behaviour is right or wrong, such as bioethical decisions, that follow the principles of the Christian tradition. Christians strive to follow these teachings, in demonstrating their love and belief in Christ, and return to sources of ethics when faced with moral dilemmas.

This is a really tricky question for a short answer, I haven't seen something like it before and without criteria on hand, it's difficult to know what's expected of you. Especially so - you're asked to combine two different aspects of the religion in one short answer. Bizarre! Not to fear. I think you've done an excellent job - but I would perhaps specifically refer to the aspect of the Baptism ceremony where the people in the Church/ceremony pledge to assist and support the new adherent, thus they are pledging to live in fellowship of Jesus and strive to live in an ethical manner. We need to attack the stimulus more directly in order to certify your marks :)

Take it with a grain of salt because I've never written a response to a question like this myself, but hopefully it gives you a hand :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

yharb

• Adventurer
« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2017, 04:41:13 pm »

If you guys have a spare moment, would you be able to look over one or both of my short answers that were posted earlier in religion? Although, I haven't reached 15 posts just yet!! Thank you guys

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2017, 04:54:13 pm »
If you guys have a spare moment, would you be able to look over one or both of my short answers that were posted earlier in religion? Although, I haven't reached 15 posts just yet!! Thank you guys

I gave you some feedback right here my friend ;D

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2017, 05:38:45 pm »
+1
Hey Snew, I'm sorry this slipped through the cracks.
Hopefully this is in time for your exam!

Thanks so much Elyse!! And thank you Jamon, you guys have been so helpful with my short answers, it is sincerely appreciated what you do here for students  ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:40:21 pm by jamonwindeyer »
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

damecj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2017, 07:12:34 pm »
Hey guys,
I've been doing a practice essay with this stimulus “Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit.” Pope Francis. We have to relate it to Baptism and Environmental Ethics, I'm just struggling in how I should do this

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2017, 08:44:46 pm »
Hiii! here's some of my short answer questions on Christianity. I'm a bit lost on what to focus on for the 5 marker because I feel as though I'm not giving enough of an explanation? So advice on that and another example that I could possibly add into it to make it a stronger response would be immensely appreciated. Thanks! :D

a) i) Outline ONE ethical teaching with reference to ONE of the aspects below: (3 marks)
* Bioethics
* Environmental ethics
* Sexual ethics

Sexual ethics are of great significance within adherents lives, as they provide the fundamental framework in which sexuality can be expressed with respect to different contexts, ie. premarital/extra marital sex. For most Christians, the purpose of human sexual activity is to express love and create new life in the context of marriage. This is due to Jesus’ affirmation of the covenental relationship of marriage (Mt 19.3-9) and the commandment of “You shall not commit adultery” (exodus 20:14) which both explicity highlight the importance of sexual activity being kept within the boundaries of marriage. Henceforth, any sexual activity or expression that is not consistent with, or against against these purposes, is considered to be morally wrong or questionable.

ii) Explain how ethical teachings guide adherents in their practice of Christianity (5 marks)

Ethical teachings provide a fundamental framework of morals which govern the way in which Christians behave and practice their faith. Christian ethical teachings are based on the belief of humans as an image of God. A central aspect of this is the concept of agape (unconditional love) for all people, as seen in -  “Love your neighbour as yourself. Love does no harm to its neighbour. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.” (Romans 13:9-10) and “Though shall love thy neighbour.” (Decalogue, Exodus 20) whereby adherents are constantly guided to ‘love’ others and treat others with respect as Jesus loved them through dying for the sins of all of humanity. Furthermore  Jesus’ Golden rule of “So in everything, do onto others what you would have them do to you” (Matthew 7:12) does not merely forbid adherents in doing wrong to others, but it rather guides adherents in doing all good to others that the individuals would like to have themselves be treated.  This is reflected in the practices of almsgiving (tith) whereby adherents donate one tenth of their earnings to the needy in order to fulfill Jesus’ Golden rule of behaviour. Therefore, it can be seen that through the ethical teachings of sacred texts and writings, the way in which individuals practice Christianity is governed through striving to embody the spirit of Christ.

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2017, 10:35:01 pm »
Hey guys,
I've been doing a practice essay with this stimulus “Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit.” Pope Francis. We have to relate it to Baptism and Environmental Ethics, I'm just struggling in how I should do this

Firstly, I think in relation to the quote, Baptism could be a symbol in a lot of what is being professed. For example, 'go out and interact with your brothers' could be suggestive of your brothers in faith; remember that Baptism is an integral sacrament and anyone who partakes in it shares such a sacramental spiritual practice in common.

I'm not too sure about environmental ethics, I know the Pope is really concerned with climate change though. Any more context I could utilise?

sophroberts812

• Adventurer
« Reply #358 on: March 26, 2017, 01:54:36 pm »
how would you guys go about answering a question along the lines of...

Outline the practice of the Hajj, and analyse the significance of the Hajj to the individual and the Muslim community.

??

Thanks so much!!
Wanting to do the Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics at Wollongong Uni in 2018!!!!
ATAR aim --- 93.00

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2017, 10:07:55 pm »
Hey guys,

Hey!  ;D from my understanding, you have to relate back to the fundamental beliefs and link this throughout your essay. For baptism, it essentially symbolises a person's belief in god, salvation, death and resurrection of jesus etc and thus a commitment to following the Christian way of life through going out and "sharing your testimony," following the example set by Jesus and his ministry, "teaches us another way," etc and putting this into practice through ethical teachings such as environmental ethics and specific examples within that.

Sorry if this wasn't very helpful, The ATAR Notes legends will definitely have some stellar insight for you  ;D
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I