Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:24:58 am

Author Topic: choosing the order of my law units  (Read 1121 times)  Share 

akkxn

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
choosing the order of my law units
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »
G'day law students. I've gotta enrol soon and choose my subjects for this year. I was after some advice on what to choose and in what order, which would best suit someone looking to juggle a part-time job and the comm/law course in the first year. In otherwords what subject selection would make my first year as cruisy as possible. The enrolment officer told me just to  do them in the order shown on the site, but I want a second opinion from actual students  :coolsmiley: thanks guys

Here are the links to the core units for each degree

http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-students/courses/course.php?course=M312#CRS-STRUCTURE-UNITS

http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-students/courses/course.php?course=M300#CRS-STRUCTURE-UNITS

2008 ENTER: 97.35

ENG: 40 -> 39.45
PE: 49 -> 48.89
BM: 45 -> 43.43
ChineseSL: 33 -> 44.35
Methods: 22 -> 26.55
Viscom(2007): 41 -> 38.18

2009: comm/law @ deakin

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: choosing the order of my law units
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:09:45 pm »
I would follow the course plan for law for the first year, because usually what you do in first year are either "introduction" or "pre-requisite" subjects.

For example, "Law, Society and Civil Rights" is clearly an introduction to law sort of subject. It also appears that you'll be doing contract law in first year - same as Monash. This is probably because contract law is one of the easier areas of law to study, as well as being a pre-requisite for subjects later on.

There is a reason the course is structured in that order. The 1st and 2nd year subjects you do are pre-requisites for the 3rd year subjects you do (e.g. property law). Best to leave it alone, at least for first year while you're getting accustomed to uni requirements.

Don't make the mistake of making up your own course plan and then getting to 3rd year and finding out you can't do x law subject because you didn't do the pre-requisite subject in 2nd year because you fiddled with your course order too much!
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]