Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 02:25:38 am

Author Topic: Pointers on improvement? - Macbeth  (Read 1254 times)  Share 

jaymifsud

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Pointers on improvement? - Macbeth
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:03:45 pm »

Might someone be able to give me a few pointers on how to improve my essay writing to make it more persuasive and effective. Thank you very very much in advance!
I haven't proof read it for I couldn't be bothered yet haha, and this is only a practice essay, so sorry if some bits don't really make sense etc. Thankyou!  ;D

Are the weird sisters instigators of Macbeth’s actions, or do they merely report what’s destined to be?

Can influences from outside a person’s fate change it, or is their destiny already set? Macbeth changed the course of events that befell him and his final end, but did not change his eventual outcome of being crowned as king. The weird sisters play a large role in the outcome in Macbeth by William Shakespeare, through manipulation of wants and desires and the telling of prophecies. The weird sisters spark a great ambition in Macbeth, that without, he wouldn’t have acted upon for he wouldn’t know the outcome of his actions. In Macbeth, a comparison can be drawn between the weird sisters and Lady Macbeth as the instigators of his actions, and this demonstrates that without intervention, Macbeth would let everything be. The weird sisters are the instigators of Macbeth’s actions and changed the course of his fate, but not part of the outcome.

Macbeth’s ambitions fly when he hears that he will become King, the second prophecy, after the first prophecy had been found true. “And oftentimes, to win us to harm, the instruments of darkness tell us truth.” [Banquo to Macbeth]: the evil beings of the weird sisters, tell Macbeth the outcome of an unknown course of events, to lead Macbeth becoming king. Macbeth will become king, although the actions of becoming king is prevails the upsetting of the natural order and to his downfall. The weird sisters didn’t tell Macbeth when or how he would become king, and instead of seeing how the natural order of things played out, Macbeth’s actions, instigated by the weird sisters, caused the disruption of the natural order and so Banquo’s prediction become true: evil beings tell truth to bring you to your downfall. Malcolm only shows his potential of becoming king at the end of the play, even though he was declared heir at the beginning. If the natural course of events had prevailed misfortune to Duncan, and Malcolm refused his throne, Macbeth would be next in line, giving him the throne through natural causes. This possibility only would have become real if he did not know the withes prophecies, which instigated his actions.

Death caused by a man not born by a woman: Macbeth’s downfall. As predicted in the second meeting with the witches, Macbeth should fear any man, but, to one not born to a woman and the Lord, Macduff. These prophecies give Macbeth a false sense of security, which once again influences his actions and this time changes his destiny, but not his inevitable fate. Hearing the prophecy telling him to be fearful of Macduff causes him to send a murderer to assassinate him and his family, but only succeeds in killing Macduff’s family for Macduff has fled. Although Macbeth would inevitably die, his actions bring about his death earlier than what was natural. Macbeth sees his life, near the end, like a mere shadow cast by a candle; “The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle” [Macbeth to himself], his life seems nothing but an illusion and his realisation that perhaps his doom is coming. Without the confidence that the witch’s prophecy gave him, he would not have taken the actions that would cause such a burning desire in Macduff for revenge; although even if Macbeth had ignored the second prophecies and not sent murderers, his death would soon come for his nation was in a turmoil, caused by Macbeth, and his disruption to the natural order. Without the witch’s second lot of prophecies, Macbeth’s actions would not have been influenced by the witch’s prophecies, causing a later death.

The witch’s influence on Macbeth’s actions can be supported by how easy Lady Macbeth influences Macbeth’s actions.  Throughout out the play, Macbeth is constantly falling ‘victim’ to his moral compass, unable to conduct the actions that he needs to for him to try and fulfill the prophecies. His initial ambition is prompted by the witch’s prophecies, but later supported by Lady Macbeth. Macbeth is shown throughout the play as a fairly weak character, unable to go through any of his planned actions, without support and intervention from proof of personal gain or support from his wife. His morally warped wife persuades and often taunts Macbeth into following through, for her won personal gain, in spite of Macbeth’s unwillingness and obvious disposition to the crimes he will commit. “Is this dagger I see before me, the handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.” [Macbeth to himself]  Macbeths is easily influenced from his wife without real proof or prediction that his actions will prevail great things, demonstrating that Macbeth is very easily influenced and instigated, proving that the weird sister’s prophecies have an affect on Macbeth, instigating many of his actions and motives.

Macbeth’s actions are instigated by the weird sisters, which alters the course of events to his destiny of becoming king, but alters his inevitable fate of death. The set of prophecies told by the weird sisters influence Macbeths motives and actions, which are then supported and influenced by Lady Macbeth, which alters Macbeths course of events and the natural order of things, but not necessarily his fate of becoming king and his inevitable death. Macbeth, in ‘Macbeth by William Shakespeare’, has his destiny told by the weird sisters, which then instigates his actions and motives.