Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 09:05:04 pm

Author Topic: I need some help for the selective test!!!!  (Read 13978 times)  Share 

Shinkaze

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
Re: I need some help for the selective test!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 04:36:18 pm »
+1
It's great that you have managed to learn things from JAC because their teaching pace is pretty fast! I remembered that I can't even learn anything last year when I went because it is really fast for me! This proves that you have the ability :D
I don't think it is necessary to know trigonometry but since you know some that's great!
It's normal to feel dumb as it is coming closer but DO NOT GIVE UP! Since you've prepared, you're halfway there! It is okay to feel nervous but DON'T let it affect your exam performance! I know many people who are smart who should be able to get in but because they get too nervous and didn't perform their best :'(
If your teacher is willing to help you at school, GREAT! (my teacher wouldn't because she describe it as 'a plan to get out of school') Ask the teachers and watch youtube videos together! It will help you lots!

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 05:03:27 pm »
+1
Honestly, you aren't dumb. I didn't even know what Trignometry was in Year 8, I'm sure there will be a lot of people who don't in the exam too. If you ever get stuck, ask people on AN. Even pop in on the Methods/Science boards and ask a question, I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to help you out.

And JAC is crazy, they go through a chapter in the textbook at school in a week... If you can keep up with them, you will smash the exam. Just keep working hard, and I'm sure you'll make it! :)
2018-2020: UoM Comm

Shinkaze

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 05:34:08 pm »
+1
Agree with Hannibal!

Back then I remembered people telling me about trigonometry and it is on the test and honestly I haven't even heard of the word until then! Yeah if you ever get stuck you can ask me too if you like! I will try my best to help! (although I might not know some of the stuff because I'm not smart)

Yeah JAC is so crazy

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 08:28:02 pm »
Agree with Hannibal!

Back then I remembered people telling me about trigonometry and it is on the test and honestly I haven't even heard of the word until then! Yeah if you ever get stuck you can ask me too if you like! I will try my best to help! (although I might not know some of the stuff because I'm not smart)

Yeah JAC is so crazy
Honestly, you aren't dumb. I didn't even know what Trignometry was in Year 8, I'm sure there will be a lot of people who don't in the exam too. If you ever get stuck, ask people on AN. Even pop in on the Methods/Science boards and ask a question, I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to help you out.

And JAC is crazy, they go through a chapter in the textbook at school in a week... If you can keep up with them, you will smash the exam. Just keep working hard, and I'm sure you'll make it! :)
Thank you guys. The thing is that my teacher would't help me in class because there are 19 students waiting to learn about angles and 3 waiting to learn about algebra. Also i know this sounds weird, but the support you guys are giving me make me feel better than ever. So right now i'm going through my year 8 book, getting help on my algebra at school and JAC, and reading the dictionary for the writing tasks. The RC and VB should be easy if  they are similar to the JAC tests. Thx Again guys.
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

Shinkaze

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 08:51:22 pm »
+1
You're welcome!
If your teacher is willing to help you, GREAT! Even if it is out of class time, I would appreciate it a lot!
Aww thank you you make me feel good about helping out!
Yeah go ahead with what you're doing, you're on the right track!

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 07:00:23 pm »
Guys i need help with surds! are they going to be in the test? are they just numbers with no whole square root? Please help!!!
Aww thank you you make me feel good about helping out!
Actually I should be the one thanking you! Thank you, and all the other contributors! If I pass, its going to be thanks to you guys as well as everyone else who helped me! Thanks again!
2017 | Psychology

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »
Guys i need help with surds! are they going to be in the test?

Possibly, although I can't quite remember now. Just be familiar with basic operations with them; multiplying surds, dividing, simplifying and rationalising.

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 09:08:07 pm »
Guys i need help with surds! are they going to be in the test? are they just numbers with no whole square root? Please help!!!Actually I should be the one thanking you! Thank you, and all the other contributors! If I pass, its going to be thanks to you guys as well as everyone else who helped me! Thanks again!
Basic Surds are explored in Year 9, and then further done in Year 10, so there probably won't be much of it on the test (Might be something though). For these examples / indicates a square root

/4 = 2, because 2x2 is equal to 4. To simplify surds that aren't perfect squares (Perfect squares are numbers like 4,9,16,25,36,49), you need to split it into two separate surds, and one of them HAS to be a perfect square. So for the /12, you have to split it into /4 x /3. You can then simplify this into 2 x /3 because /4 is 2. If a surd cannot be split into one perfect square and something else, then it is already in its simplest form. This is the basic simplification of surds, more is included in these videos:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGQ9Gtn6CLQ (Simplifying Part 1)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuK5vhojRU (Simplifying Part 2)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IZtgOKs208M (Equations)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:23:41 pm by Hannibal »

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:14 pm »
Possibly, although I can't quite remember now. Just be familiar with basic operations with them; multiplying surds, dividing, simplifying and rationalising.
Basic Surds are explored in Year 9, and then further done in Year 10, so there probably won't be much of it on the test (Might be something though).
Thanks, i'll be doing those then. Any other tips would be nice.
2017 | Psychology

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 07:58:11 am »
Hey Guys say I get great marks in my 4 English tests and above average or around it in my maths. Do I get in? Also I need help thinking of a title. I just call my stories something obvious, like the fire,the ocean,etc. Basically I use the word THE too much and need help thinking of better titles. Also Passive text is just where the subject is dropped and the object becomes the subject, right? Thx for the help!
2017 | Psychology

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 08:26:54 pm »
Hey Guys say I get great marks in my 4 English tests and above average or around it in my maths. Do I get in? Also I need help thinking of a title. I just call my stories something obvious, like the fire,the ocean,etc. Basically I use the word THE too much and need help thinking of better titles. Also Passive text is just where the subject is dropped and the object becomes the subject, right? Thx for the help!
This depends on your school really. The 5% rule?
But with 4 superiors and the rest anything better than average, you are quite possibly in!
:D

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:14 pm »
Passive sentence - The paper was drawn on
Active sentence - David drew on the paper

It's generally better to use the active, simply because it sounds more engaging :). As for titles, I'm pretty sure that would constitute for a tiny fraction of your mark. Perhaps learn a few synonyms of basic words, and instead of saying fire, say something like conflagration or inferno.

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 08:45:46 am »
I was wondering whether we need a title for our analytic and creative pieces when we do the test. So far I've been giving no title to my pieces. Cheers.
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 08:59:09 am »
I was wondering whether we need a title for our analytic and creative pieces when we do the test. So far I've been giving no title to my pieces. Cheers.
You aren't required to do one, but it gives your piece a little bit of flare :). Try not to overthink it though, just put down whatever comes to mind.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:28:57 am by Hannibal »

rosalie.brown

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 09:17:18 am »
Novashock,

I would recommend that you include a title in both your creative and analytical pieces. I would also suggest that you use your planning time to write down a title (particularly in your creative pieces) based on the main idea of your story.

Best of luck,

rosalie.brown.  :)