Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 08:00:19 am

Author Topic: General Australian Politics Discussion  (Read 85880 times)  Share 

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: General Australian Politics Discussion
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2018, 11:33:45 pm »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2018, 01:54:44 am »
Click here to hide this post again.
March 18, 2018, 01:54:44 am - Hidden.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2018, 04:07:37 pm »
+1
The media doesn't help
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/many-australians-resent-the-abcsdaily-leftist-sermons/news-story/b279cffd84db521c0c5554bba3c5c395

And programs like the safe schools program gives me bad vibes.

I'm not happy that the liberal party is the figurehead of conservatism  in Australia, since the Abbot era they've given conservatives a bad rep.

That party is in need of major reform

I actually can't access that article as it's behind a paywall. Correct me if I am wrong, but just judging from the title, it sounds like the article is about the manner of communication, rather than is what being said itself. I don't see why this should turn you off a certain view. It could turn you off certain groups, yes, but it doesn't invalidate what is being said.

Is there any reasoning because these 'bad vibes', or just a magical sense of intuition?
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2018, 11:51:05 pm »
+8
This thread has been a really good example of polite, reasoned discussion. Parroting lines from the Australian about the ABC being too left wing and the liberal party not conservative enough isn’t really advancing the discussion at all, so if you don’t mind I’m going to change it.

For those who missed them, there have been a few big elections recently.

The Liberals retained power in Tasmania, which was to be expected. Tasmanians seem to be somewhat nervous about returning to a Labor/Greens coalition, which was wildly unpopular. This was the first time the Greens found themselves in government in Australia.

The Liberals won the SA state election. This was kind of complicated. Labor had held power there for 16 years, most recently in a minority government. They actually did better at this election (and the liberals worse) than they did at the last; however, SA has a rule about electoral borders that require them to be redrawn after each election, such that the party that would have won the election if it were a state-wide 2-party preferred would win an election with the same results. The electoral borders at the last election actually favoured Labor, even though the liberals got more voters. At this election, it favoured the liberals.
This is actually really sensible, and is a policy that had it roots in the so-called Playmander. The Playmander was a gerrymander (redrawing of electoral boundaries in a way that makes it an unfair election) that basically required the opposition to win in excess of 60% of the vote statewide before they could win the election. Unsurprisingly, Thomas Playford actually holds the record for the longest time in office of any leader of a Westminster government (28 years). In that period he should have lost the election four times.

Finally, Labor managed to retain the seat of Batman, effecting a fairly large swing against the Greens. This was probably an inevitability. Even though batman is becoming more and more progressive, and much more likely to share the Greens’ policy convictions, Ged Kearney was a fantastic progressive candidate who had plenty of runs on the board for progressive politics. On the other hand, Alex Bhatal was dogged by allegations of bullying and the kind of background behaviour synonymous with Labor politics, not the kind and fluffy politics of the Greens.
Interestingly, Richard Di Natale made a last minute push to shore up the pensioners’ vote by saying the Greens would oppose Labor policy to end cash refund on imputation dividends (basically good for poor, bad for rich). This isn’t a good look for the Greens, and serves to highlight that, despite their purported progressive bona fides, they are still fundamentally a party of the wealthy.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2018, 12:43:32 am »
Well news networks receive funding and  reflect the attitudes and values of society as should a repsrenststive government.

So if we vote in a conservative government you would expect the media's tone and communication to shift towards that end instead it's left wing dominated.

So I do think it's a valid point imo as an instance of where I think it's not conservative enough.

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2018, 12:54:28 am »
Well news networks receive funding and  reflect the attitudes and values of society as should a repsrenststive government.

So if we vote in a conservative government you would expect the media's tone and communication to shift towards that end instead it's left wing dominated.

So I do think it's a valid point imo as an instance of where I think it's not conservative enough.
If your issue is with the level of conservativeness of the ABC (I must admit, I'm confused by your point) well the thing is, content creators have target audiences.
In terms of the ABC they appeal to the left wing and so their content is left wing, and by adjusting that to fit the conservative nature of the parliament is not in thier best interests as they would lose loyal viewers such as myself (man they produce some good content!) and thus I fail to see your point.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2018, 09:17:37 am »
+5
It would be ridiculous to only have news following the stance of the ruling party.  That begins to sound like Orwellian control.  We "voted in" the liberals, but that doesn't mean the whole country wants them in... should a solid 50% of people* who dislike their policies have to hear only their views?

Rather, it makes sense for there to be a variety of news channels with their own stances, and everyone can choose which one reflects their own opinions and assists with building their own confirmation biases.

*Random percentage selected.  I have less than zero idea of the stats.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2018, 11:21:16 am »
Is the sex party still around?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2018, 11:23:30 am »
Is the sex party still around?

HAHAH, it is around, but they renamed the party to (Reason Party)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-22/sex-party-changes-its-name-to-reason-party/8830106

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2018, 01:20:48 pm »
It would be ridiculous to only have news following the stance of the ruling party.  That begins to sound like Orwellian control.  We "voted in" the liberals, but that doesn't mean the whole country wants them in... should a solid 50% of people* who dislike their policies have to hear only their views?

Rather, it makes sense for there to be a variety of news channels with their own stances, and everyone can choose which one reflects their own opinions and assists with building their own confirmation biases.

*Random percentage selected.  I have less than zero idea of the stats.

That's not what I said.

I said that no matter who's voted in leftist media dominates the networks, this is true and hugely disproportionate to the 50% of people who voted liberal.

I thought I was clear but if I'm not I'll clarify. Conservative govnerment should push for equal representation in news networks between right wing and left wing  so we get equal representation from both sides.

My point was they have been voted in many times and haven't done anything of the sort and are content to Lakewood the massive divide.

Not saying that oh shit the liberals are voted in shut down every left leaning news network ASAP. That would be ridiculous of course.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2018, 02:01:08 pm »
I said that no matter who's voted in leftist media dominates the networks, this is true and hugely disproportionate to the 50% of people who voted liberal.
Do you have any proof to back up your statement?

There are left leaning and right leaning media soruces.

Right leaning = Courier mail,  Herald Sun, the Australian, News.com.au, the Bolt Report, Fox News, Sky TV, JJJ,2GB
Left leaning = SMH, the Age, the Guardian, the ABC , CHannel 10, SBS,  National Media

"Leftist" sources do not dominate mainstream media. Absurd statement.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:07:34 pm by EEEEEEP »

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2018, 02:20:26 pm »
Do you have any proof to back up your statement?

There are left leaning and right leaning media soruces.

Right leaning = Courier mail,  Herald Sun, the Australian, News.com.au, the Bolt Report, Fox News, Sky TV, JJJ,2GB
Left leaning = SMH, the Age, the Guardian, the ABC , CHannel 10, SBS,  National Media

"Leftist" sources do not dominate mainstream media. Absurd statement.

Of course I have proof

Conducted between May 2012 and March this year, the University of the Sunshine Coast's representative survey of 605 journalists around Australia found that more than half (51.0%) describe themselves as holding left-of-centre political views, compared with only 12.9% who consider themselves right-of-centre.

What you listed is newspapers, which is nice to know but I was talking about tv news networks being left leaning.

It's a well known fact that News Corp Australia owns just about all of the newspapers in Australia. It’s head is Rupert Murdoch, an Australian-American billionaire. They consistently support the Liberal / National Coalition over the Labor and Green parties.

The Age officially endorsed the conservative coalition at the last Australian election but would you call them right wing?

Far from it with their key writer Clementine Ford being as left leaning as they come.

There are three types of bias when it comes to the media im going to focus on two of them.Personal bias of the journalists which is unavoidable, institutionalised bias which is situational

You've totally  ignored personal bias in favour of focusing on institutionalised bias.

For people who only glance at the surface they may think what  I said is an absurd statement the rest may think otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:24:49 pm by The Special One »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »
+2
Morrison's coming off a little aggressive with Sales here IMO.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2018, 07:04:40 pm »
+2
Well well well... it's like a house of cards.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/four-dual-citizen-mps-resign-in-wake-of-high-court-ruling-sparking-byelections-20180509-p4ze89.html
Four dual citizen MPs resign in wake of High Court ruling, sparking byelections

Labor MPs:
- Justine Keay
- Josh Wilson
- Susan Lamb
- Katy Gallagher

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2018, 02:06:56 pm »
+1
How quiet have things gone after the budget holy shit.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd