Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 10:08:21 pm

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 434791 times)  Share 

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2017, 02:35:16 pm »
:-\I am trying out for JMSS. Just a quick question. Do we need to know about parabolas and Quadratic for any of the mathematic tests?

My brother took the test a couple of years ago and he told me that we do and that were quite alot of questions on it. That was just for his test though, so it may or may not be different now :)
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

akihsay2003

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2017, 05:53:55 pm »
Hey guys,
I am sitting an entrance exam for John Monash this year for Year 10 next year. Does anyone have any idea of what is going to be on the test because I am absolutely clueless. I am currently studying at a selective entry high school so I have some idea of how the test might be for numeracy but I need help with science.
Thanks

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2017, 01:37:49 pm »
almost 1 MONTH LEFT GUYSSSS
how are all of you studying??? how long are you studying (on average) a day? i try to do 1-2 hrs a day bc assignments are starting to pick up at school. what is your method of studying? im currently copying out a bunch of notes, not sure what else to do!!!
are any of you feeling the pressure yet bc i cant be the only one....
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

Kaize

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2017, 03:28:55 pm »
I'm not sure if I want to do the john monash exam anymore, because I failed one of the maths test(It was an application task, My Cas calculator stopped working so I panicked)....... Do I still stand a chance of getting in?
Never reject an idea, dream or goal simply because it will be hard work. Success rarely comes without it.

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2017, 04:39:00 pm »
I'm not sure if I want to do the john monash exam anymore, because I failed one of the maths test(It was an application task, My Cas calculator stopped working so I panicked)....... Do I still stand a chance of getting in?

no idea bro. just do the test anyway!! you're not allowed a calculator so we probably won't have to worry about applications. besides, theres 4 other tests besides the maths :)
2020 VCE
Literature [48]

Kaize

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2017, 05:40:10 pm »
no idea bro. just do the test anyway!! you're not allowed a calculator so we probably won't have to worry about applications. besides, theres 4 other tests besides the maths :)
I know, but we have to hand our report in for the interview.
Never reject an idea, dream or goal simply because it will be hard work. Success rarely comes without it.

Brimz

• Adventurer
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:57 pm »
Okay thanks. Anyone have any good study techniques for those topics?Maths is my only my second strongest subject... I only do 30-40minutes of study each day. I havent had much time to any. :-\

miguel_1

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2017, 06:24:47 pm »
+1
Approximately 2 weeks left for yr 11 entrance..
Does anyone know how many did the test and how many got in for yr 11 last year
2018: Biology & LOTE

Mewfle

• Forum Regular
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2017, 07:56:46 pm »
Approximately 2 weeks left for yr 11 entrance..
Does anyone know how many did the test and how many got in for yr 11 last year

Good luck!! 4 weeks till for the yr10 one! I only have a few more topics to cover, however I'm nervous ><
I remember seeing that it was around 30-50 for yr 11? Not so sure about how many did the test though, I assume around 200-300? I'm probably wrong though xD

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2017, 05:00:53 pm »
argh I haven't been studying much lately, I had an oral for english this week and like 2 other assignments due this week and I can't study tomorrow because I'm spending mothers day early hahaha ;-;
2019 -Biology

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2017, 05:42:53 pm »
argh I haven't been studying much lately, I had an oral for english this week and like 2 other assignments due this week and I can't study tomorrow because I'm spending mothers day early hahaha ;-;

ikr school is so time-consuming....... im so scared already, theres only a month left  :'( :'(
2020 VCE
Literature [48]

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2017, 07:42:34 pm »
I'd say go for it! I'm not extremely intelligent but sometimes its not just your IQ or whether or not you pass or fail a test that will get you somewhere in life. sometimes the thing you need most is passion. If you have a passion and love for the sciences, maths and tech, then go for it! Every time you find something to be challenging or you fail, remember to focus on what you learned from the experience and how you can use that knowledge to improve. btw sorry for sounding like a bumper sticker :)
2019 -Biology

Blueivy_2000

• Adventurer
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2017, 10:21:25 pm »
Hey!! I'm a year 10 at JMSS this year. So for the science test, it's mostly analysis. They give you all the information and you simply have to apply it to the question. Background knowledge of the year 8,9 and If you have time, 10 would help but I believe a solid grasp of year 8 and 9 science should be enough.
Last years texts where not at all what I accepted. The first one was about coral bleaching, they gave us an ENTIRE page telling us basically everything about coral bleaching and we just had to write about what we had read. The second one was a prac, we where given the entire prac with a missing discussion and we had to write the discussion, that was the test. A lot of my friends wrote the entire prac again instead of the discussion, I recon reading the paper throughly would be a good idea.
The maths was the basics. As long as you are good with year 8 and 9 maths you are honestly great to go. Just make sure you can do all your questions fast, more than the questions it's the time. The questions where quiet easy compared to what I expected which was year 10 and 11 maths but it was the time that was limited.

Don't over prepare of stress, that's what I did. Make sure you can write your pracs well and maybe read science newspapers to stay updated about recent events in case it comes on the test.

Most of the test is about application. They don't wanna see what you already know but how well you can apply it.

The interviews are half the people that apply, in my case it was 400 and 200 got in. The interview is made up of quiet a few components.
1) You do like a ice-breaker activity with the group you get put into. This is the group which you do the team tasks in.
2) you get given 2 different situations. Like a list of the items you'd take on a boat and you pick out the best ones for that situation is groups. Here, students at JMSS will be writing notes. They are looking for leadership qualities or just speaking up and helping out.
3) They give you a puzzle, I got the ideal "man had to take 3 animals across the river, sheep eats the....." we know how that goes ahahaha. They wanna see your critical thinking. You get 10 mins to complete it and show your working out.
4) the interview.  They asked me questions like what my favourite subject was and what I wanted to be, why. Who my favourite scientist was why, why I wanted to come to JMSS. Aim for a conversation with the interviewer.

Anything else you guys wanna ask, lemme know!

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2017, 11:01:47 pm »
Hey!! I'm a year 10 at JMSS this year. So for the science test, it's mostly analysis. They give you all the information and you simply have to apply it to the question. Background knowledge of the year 8,9 and If you have time, 10 would help but I believe a solid grasp of year 8 and 9 science should be enough.
Last years texts where not at all what I accepted. The first one was about coral bleaching, they gave us an ENTIRE page telling us basically everything about coral bleaching and we just had to write about what we had read. The second one was a prac, we where given the entire prac with a missing discussion and we had to write the discussion, that was the test. A lot of my friends wrote the entire prac again instead of the discussion, I recon reading the paper throughly would be a good idea.
The maths was the basics. As long as you are good with year 8 and 9 maths you are honestly great to go. Just make sure you can do all your questions fast, more than the questions it's the time. The questions where quiet easy compared to what I expected which was year 10 and 11 maths but it was the time that was limited.

Don't over prepare of stress, that's what I did. Make sure you can write your pracs well and maybe read science newspapers to stay updated about recent events in case it comes on the test.

Most of the test is about application. They don't wanna see what you already know but how well you can apply it.

The interviews are half the people that apply, in my case it was 400 and 200 got in. The interview is made up of quiet a few components.
1) You do like a ice-breaker activity with the group you get put into. This is the group which you do the team tasks in.
2) you get given 2 different situations. Like a list of the items you'd take on a boat and you pick out the best ones for that situation is groups. Here, students at JMSS will be writing notes. They are looking for leadership qualities or just speaking up and helping out.
3) They give you a puzzle, I got the ideal "man had to take 3 animals across the river, sheep eats the....." we know how that goes ahahaha. They wanna see your critical thinking. You get 10 mins to complete it and show your working out.
4) the interview.  They asked me questions like what my favourite subject was and what I wanted to be, why. Who my favourite scientist was why, why I wanted to come to JMSS. Aim for a conversation with the interviewer.

Anything else you guys wanna ask, lemme know!
omg thank you so so so much !! this is so helpful :))
2019 -Biology

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2017, 11:03:22 pm »
Sup guys, I've been following this forum for a while now and finally decided to join in (after many hesitations T-T).
You all seem like a cool bunch of people ahah, hope you guys do well.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone going to the JMSS exhibition night?
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.