Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 06:37:37 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210315 times)  Share 

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2017, 11:41:40 pm »
Hey, I am looking for some ideas for my Wilfred Owen Visual Representation. Does anyone have any tips on how to do assessment tasks like this in general ? Cos i've never done well.
:3

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2017, 11:47:09 pm »
Hey, I am looking for some ideas for my Wilfred Owen Visual Representation. Does anyone have any tips on how to do assessment tasks like this in general ? Cos i've never done well.

Hey! Is this meant to be like a visual mindmap with quotes techniques and symbols showing key ideas in the text? Or is it a more Creative visual representation task? :)

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2017, 01:10:32 am »
Hey! Is this meant to be like a visual mindmap with quotes techniques and symbols showing key ideas in the text? Or is it a more Creative visual representation task? :)

Its a creative task where you make a collage, model, slides etc. based on themes
:3

huss1235

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2017, 09:28:26 pm »
hi can some please help me asap for a detalied explanation on this quote by henry lawson • Vernacular language: “Yer want to go out back, young man, if yer want to
see the country. Yer wanter get away from the line.” “I don’t wanter; I’ve
been there.”

thank you

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2017, 10:01:17 pm »
+1

Its a creative task where you make a collage, model, slides etc. based on themes

Cool! Well I think the first step is to have a really good handle of the sorts of techniques you can use easily. Chances are you'll need to discuss them. Think colour, salience, vectors, symbolism - All really easy to use and discuss ;D plan out exactly what you want to say, and think about things that could symbolise that. How will you place those things around the visual. How big will each be? What colour will they be and why?

If you keep asking yourself why you are doing things, you'll have a better sense of direction. Just try to keep it simple, and keep yourself on target :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2017, 06:49:15 pm »
Hi Guys! Since Trials are coming up, I thought it would be best to start prepping now! :) Though I'm a bit confused,however I already have my notes done. Should I write an essay based on a past HSC question and then loosely memorise to adapt to any question... Or should I just remember the quote, technique and the general effect of it and practice writing...
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2017, 09:56:24 pm »
+2
Hi Guys! Since Trials are coming up, I thought it would be best to start prepping now! :) Though I'm a bit confused,however I already have my notes done. Should I write an essay based on a past HSC question and then loosely memorise to adapt to any question... Or should I just remember the quote, technique and the general effect of it and practice writing...

That's what I did. I had a formulated essay that I refined til I was satisfied. I memorised the quotes and went into the exam. Having a pre-written essay helps you because you can draw upon the concepts you embedded and bend it to answer the question. You shouldn't memorise an entire essay and just wordvomit it all over your paper though, you HAVE to answer the question. It's likely that the question is VERY broad so I think you'll be okay

Just take the 2016 HSC English question for your module and write an essay off that.
Heavy Things :(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2017, 10:28:28 pm »
+1

In the assumption that you've got at least a month until trials, I'd take the second approach. If you have the time to remember things in a way that's flexible, and you have the opportunity to test yourself applying it to different things, then that's what I'd do. BUT, if you realise it's not sticking, that's when I'd move to the first approach, because sometimes that rigidity in your study is what you need. As always, even in memorising an essay, you need to be flexible or else you are wasting your time! So whatever approach you take, feel confident enough in your approach that you'll be able to adjust in the exam - put that at the forefront of your work :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2017, 09:02:58 pm »
+1

In the assumption that you've got at least a month until trials, I'd take the second approach. If you have the time to remember things in a way that's flexible, and you have the opportunity to test yourself applying it to different things, then that's what I'd do. BUT, if you realise it's not sticking, that's when I'd move to the first approach, because sometimes that rigidity in your study is what you need. As always, even in memorising an essay, you need to be flexible or else you are wasting your time! So whatever approach you take, feel confident enough in your approach that you'll be able to adjust in the exam - put that at the forefront of your work :)

Definitely will experiment ! :) THANKS HEAPS ELYSE
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2017, 09:03:20 pm »
+1

That's what I did. I had a formulated essay that I refined til I was satisfied. I memorised the quotes and went into the exam. Having a pre-written essay helps you because you can draw upon the concepts you embedded and bend it to answer the question. You shouldn't memorise an entire essay and just wordvomit it all over your paper though, you HAVE to answer the question. It's likely that the question is VERY broad so I think you'll be okay

Just take the 2016 HSC English question for your module and write an essay off that.

Thanks 🏻 will definitely try that ! :)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »
+1
Thanks 🏻 will definitely try that ! :)

Post back with those essays and we'll take a look at em, this is how you improve fam :)

Goodluck
Heavy Things :(

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #251 on: June 11, 2017, 06:29:34 pm »
Is paper one more important than paper two for standard students?

I know paper one is out of 45 and paper 2 is out of 60 but if two people got 90/105 overall and lets say person A got 42 and 48 whereas person B got 32 and 58 respectively. Would A scale better than B?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #252 on: June 11, 2017, 08:39:20 pm »
+1

Is paper one more important than paper two for standard students?

I know paper one is out of 45 and paper 2 is out of 60 but if two people got 90/105 overall and lets say person A got 42 and 48 whereas person B got 32 and 58 respectively. Would A scale better than B?

Hey!! I'm happy to be corrected on this, because I'm not 100% sure and can't find anything to prove either way in a quick search, but I THINK they are scaled together, so both results would be the same! I knew once upon a time but can't recall the answer!

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #253 on: June 14, 2017, 09:47:45 am »
Hello:)
At the moment in English, we are doing a close study of the concept of Inner Journeys. Our assessment is to do a folio of several analyses on various sources demonstrating an inner journey. Can someone help me with what sources I should be using??
BG

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #254 on: June 14, 2017, 11:18:08 am »
Hello:)
At the moment in English, we are doing a close study of the concept of Inner Journeys. Our assessment is to do a folio of several analyses on various sources demonstrating an inner journey. Can someone help me with what sources I should be using??
BG

Hey! I can't help too much here, but one thing to consider would be movie posters/advertisements!! Often they can be quite conceptually rich, and picking the right one could give you something good to analyse ;D