Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 01:47:44 am

Author Topic: 1st SAC on computer!?!  (Read 2121 times)  Share 

ashoni

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
1st SAC on computer!?!
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:25 pm »
So today my further teacher gave us a rough idea of what would be on the first SAC. My first intentions were that the SAC would be a massive booklet on everything we covered in class... but no. The SAC is going to be completed on a computer. 5 lessons on a computer to complete a SAC. Personally, I would have preferred doing the SAC on paper, cause thats what im used to, not using excel...
Just wondering if anyone else had to do their first SAC for further on a computer? ;D

Jezza

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
Re: 1st SAC on computer!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:16:13 pm »
+1
I've never heard of anyone doing a mathematics sac on computer :o

Our first sac is the first week back of next term which is over two classes. Each class is worth 70 minutes, so 140 minutes all together.

amilss

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
  • School: St Peters College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:04 pm »
Yep. Starting friday, but mine goes for six instead of five periods.

Im really scared because im terrible at excel!

2011 - Psychology [42]
2012 atar aim - 99+. There,i said it, it's offical, now i have to reach it!

ILiekMudkipz

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:12 pm »
Everyone does the core SAC on the computer for Further Mathematics =/

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:22 pm »
Is there a new study design for Further or something? I only ask because last year this was certainly not the case. I remember one of the outcomes was using technology to solve problems but this generally referred to the graphics calculators.

Excel is really powerful for stats (I'm using it at the moment in uni for a stats class). My tip for those of you who have never used it before: spend the first class copying down everything so you can do it at home. Yeah it's unfair but fuck it. It doesn't sound fair that students have to learn the functions of excel + complete all of the work. The CORE further sac is well known to be a bitch (in any year) due to its style and hearing this only adds to its difficulty.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

ILiekMudkipz

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »
That SAC is so dodgy, people just memorize the questions and can ask their tutors on how to answer them.

saheh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:22:28 pm »
Is there a new study design for Further or something? I only ask because last year this was certainly not the case. I remember one of the outcomes was using technology to solve problems but this generally referred to the graphics calculators.

That's a real pain if it has changed...
Last year our school did 9 periods written, yet most of us finished it in 7... and i'm pretty sure I've heard my friends say its the same again?
2012: 97.45
Lit: 36 Further: 39 Eng: 41 Bio: 42 Revs: 42 Outdoor: 49

ashoni

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:58:14 pm »
Hmmm, well apparently my school wanted the 'old system' for doing the 1st further SAC on computer back. I know last year that the first SAC was in a massive booklet.. Now I've got to learn how to use excel to do the SAC.... D:

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 10:15:10 pm »
So today my further teacher gave us a rough idea of what would be on the first SAC. My first intentions were that the SAC would be a massive booklet on everything we covered in class... but no. The SAC is going to be completed on a computer. 5 lessons on a computer to complete a SAC. Personally, I would have preferred doing the SAC on paper, cause thats what im used to, not using excel...
Just wondering if anyone else had to do their first SAC for further on a computer? ;D

yep my class started ours today. it will take about a week though!
BUT C'MON seriously? computer? it would be so much easier to do it on paper, i mean one of the questions gave me a bunch of data and instructed me to create a parallel box plot, i drew it on paper in about 6 minutes but my teacher was like "I TOLD YOU TO USE THE COMPUTER NOT PAPER" so i just sat there for TWO WHOLE DAMN PERIODS trying to figure out how to draw a friggin parallel box plot on excel (i couldnt ask anyone for help because we werent allowed to talk to eachother (-.-)).

a word of advice though......when putting data into exel.......dont forget to TRIPPLE CHECK!!!

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:00 pm »
Luckily (or perhaps, unluckily) our school chose to do Geometry and Trigonometry first. A conventional paper this time. ^_^
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:56 pm »

yep my class started ours today. it will take about a week though!
BUT C'MON seriously? computer? it would be so much easier to do it on paper, i mean one of the questions gave me a bunch of data and instructed me to create a parallel box plot, i drew it on paper in about 6 minutes but my teacher was like "I TOLD YOU TO USE THE COMPUTER NOT PAPER" so i just sat there for TWO WHOLE DAMN PERIODS trying to figure out how to draw a friggin parallel box plot on excel (i couldnt ask anyone for help because we werent allowed to talk to eachother (-.-)).

a word of advice though......when putting data into exel.......dont forget to TRIPPLE CHECK!!!

I'm not sure that Excel even draws box plots without a fair bit of fiddling around !!!!!!!!!