Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 07:10:55 am

Author Topic: ESL Students - Language Analysis  (Read 4674 times)  Share 

Wazzup

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
  • School Grad Year: 2012
ESL Students - Language Analysis
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:16:10 pm »
Hey guys, how are you all ? :P

I need some help with the second part of Language Analysis, Piece of Prose

So how much do you guys write? And what do you talk about in your response, my teacher started teaching it last week of term... :( getting a bit stressed atm

I would really like to see some examples from ESL students
AN is like a second school (:

Thanks

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
Re: ESL Students - Language Analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:31:13 pm »
I always mention the issue first and then introduce the writer, title of the piece and most importantly main contention. In my opinion it's not necessary to list all persuasive elements in the intro.
I construct my text based on main ideas and how persuasive elements are used in conveying these ideas, but some students prefer to include persuasive techniques and what they do. From my past experience, this way doesn't work for me. I think assessors like synonyms for 'to think, to claim'. I strongly suggest you using various words for those. I like 'to aver, to profession, to contend and so on. I did my last sac on LA and got 12/15 yet I got got 37/40 in the first semester. And lastly, to improve your skill in LA, you have to read as many news papers as you can because you get familiar with the language and main ideas. Don't get stressed at all. Just make your text consistent with the article or what ever it is given...I mean make references or quote important lines to emphasize persuasive elements. Yeah that's all from me. I'm not a good student although my teacher thinks I am. I just wanted to share my way of doing this stuff. If you have an original way of writing this, don't hesitate :)
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
  • School: Melbourne Girls College
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »
^ I think VCAA said in ESL, they didn't require us to point out specific persuasive techniques as Eng students. We only need to talk about the effects in audiences
I thought SACs were text response, context and oral only? Why did you have LA SAC but I don't have? :O
2012: Bio | Chem| Spesh | Methods | ESL | Vietnamese
2013-2016: BActuarial studies/BCommerce @ ANU

Thanks to gossamer, TT, pi, laserblued, Thus for helping and supporting me during VCE

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »
In fact I got 2 sacs, one in the first semester and last one in the previous term. My situation is a bit different. I've been studying among other native english speakers with other 2 esl guys. So I had to do the same sacs as native speakers but the assessment criteria was slightly soften for esl students. In the exam, I'm going to refer to the way by which I used to get over this stuff during the year. Also I don't have any idea about drawing arrows and how to summarise the piece in the best way at all. I think LA is worth less marks than others since it's all about reflecting your understanding to the paper with references to the article.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:46:50 pm by alperenerol »

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:00:43 pm »
+1
In fact I got 2 sacs, one in the first semester and last one in the previous term. My situation is a bit different. I've been studying among other native english speakers with other 2 esl guys. So I had to do the same sacs as native speakers but the assessment criteria was slightly soften for esl students. In the exam, I'm going to refer to the way by which I used to get over this stuff during the year. Also I don't have any idea about drawing arrows and how to summarise the piece in the best way at all. I think LA is worth less marks than others since it's all about reflecting your understanding to the paper with references to the article.

Poor you :(
I studied LA with Eng students last year and it was quite different from LA in ESL as they don't teach how to write note form. The way they analyse the article is also more specific and deeper than ESL. Note form summary which worths like 10-15 marks (I can't remember now), total LA is 30 marks, thus its equal with context (30 makrs) as well. Pretty important though

For context, its different from Eng as well. In ESL, examiners usually prefer expository form and they don't like imaginative or short story. Of course you can write in short stories but they don't recommend that for ESL students

Anyway, if you do ESL exams but study in Eng class, you can buy study guide and learn by yourself. I think VCE ESL exam guide or insight/outcome are both good. ESL exam guide mentions how to write note form summary for LA. Note that: NEVER write complete sentences in note form summary and you can use some abbreviation/ symbols like: ie, eg, ><, #, / etc...

Thanks to gossamer, TT, pi, laserblued, Thus for helping and supporting me during VCE

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 09:02:52 pm »
+1
^^Didn't realise there were that many differences between ESL and English, I just thought the marking scheme was a lot more lenient.

If you want to improve in LA, read news articles.
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 09:14:11 pm »
^^Didn't realise there were that many differences between ESL and English, I just thought the marking scheme was a lot more lenient.

Yep, the marking scheme was much more lenient unless they will minus heaps of marks due to grammar mistakes and word expressions :P

Imagine you learn a new language in 2,3 years and have to write 3 essays in 3 hours, there are plenty of mistakes in spelling, grammar, etc,... If the examiners are strict as marking for Eng students, all of us are gonna fail :D

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:18:18 pm »
Quote from: nisha link=topic=137857.msg580741#msg580741 date=1348830172

[/quote
That's what I've been doing the whole year since I didn't write excellent pieces for LA last year..and I think I put a lot on top of my past experiences.