Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:02:41 pm

Author Topic: Do YOU need a good UMAT score?  (Read 1400 times)  Share 

yungyhan

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
Do YOU need a good UMAT score?
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:24:38 am »
Thinking of MBBS? Pharm? Physio? or even just as a backup?

Looking through these advertising forums, I see no one offering any tutoring for the UMAT whatsoever. Most likely due to the misconception that UMAT skills can't be taught. On the contrary, the skills required to do well in the UMAT can and sometimes need to be taught, which is an important point. Unlike MedEntry which, while useful for their abundance of resources, doesn't teach you specific skills, I can guide you in the thought processes that you need to establish in order to succeed in the UMAT. Though I'd never received UMAT tutoring myself, nor did I purchase and participate in the MedEntry Courses, I still managed to score a 99th percentile in 2009. Over the previous year, I have tutored some students in UMAT skills, and these are some of their replies, when asked about their results:

Hey Han,
I scored 59 in section one and 56 in section 3 which went well. Unfortunately I scored 42 on section 2 which was a let down, but I have made all the applications and I'm going to have to wait and see what happens. If I am unsuccessful, I will be going for postgraduate entry. I wouldn't of been able to go that well without your help so thank you!

Hey!
thats weird i texted you the results when they came out :)
i got five higher than last year
so since last year i got 80
this year i got 85
which is a five point improvement :D
obviously not good enough for med but i did get an interview for physio :P
and since i did improve i might just re-sit i haven't decided yet..

Thanks for asking ;]
I got 98th
Cheers for the tutoring

It should be noted that the first reply was from a person who achieved just above a 20th percentile on their first try.
So, if you really want to learn tangible techniques that you can apply in the test, rather than just practice and repeat the same thing over and over again on piles of practice exams, contact me via email. I charge $30 per hour, and tutoring is generally conducted in state library.
Of course, if by chance you want tutoring for something else, I scored 50 in psychology in 2008, 45 in chemistry in 2009, and could probably tutor maths of some sort since I've been doing maths in uni, but I wouldn't be too sure about that part.

Good luck to you all!