Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 02:42:32 am

Author Topic: The fine lines we must differentiate  (Read 704 times)  Share 

iNerd

The fine lines we must differentiate
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:40:24 pm »
What is the difference between:
< Lies, Bluffs and Pranks>

When is a lie not a lie? When does a bluff become a lie? When does a prank cross the region of lying?
Anyone got clear-cut boundaries?
I'm confusedd :idiot2:

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: The fine lines we must differentiate
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 02:31:47 am »
Lie = not telling the truth. I don't know what you mean by a lie not being a lie. What?

Bluff = you believe that there is a high probability that A will react in a certain way if x was true. You want that reaction. Therefore, you pretend that x is true when it really isn't, in the hope that A will fall for it and not question you about it.
Happens a lot in poker especially.
Bluffs rely on a lie.

Prank = playing a joke on someone. It could but doesn't necessarily have to involve lying - e.g. I'm gonna prank all my friends by lying about getting the Nobel Prize for physics.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

iNerd

Re: The fine lines we must differentiate
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:16:01 am »
Lie = not telling the truth. I don't know what you mean by a lie not being a lie. What?

Bluff = you believe that there is a high probability that A will react in a certain way if x was true. You want that reaction. Therefore, you pretend that x is true when it really isn't, in the hope that A will fall for it and not question you about it.
Happens a lot in poker especially.
Bluffs rely on a lie.

Prank = playing a joke on someone. It could but doesn't necessarily have to involve lying - e.g. I'm gonna prank all my friends by lying about getting the Nobel Prize for physics.
So like a white lie or whatever they call it. Lets take an example:
Mum asks : Why are you going to school early?
I say : To print my assignment HOWEVER I don't add that first I'm going to go meet a couple of chicks and then going to go to school early to print my assignment..
So basically a bluff is an unfound lie?
Interesting stuff :P