Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:30:30 am

Author Topic: Some things never change...  (Read 663 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Some things never change...
« on: December 13, 2010, 02:26:34 am »
www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/71496

I started collecting found snapshots a few years ago — at swap meets, antique shops and the like — but the thing that got me started wasn’t the photos themselves so much as the writing I’d sometimes find on the backs.

One thing I’ve found a lot of is photos where people have written deprecating things — usually about themselves — on the back. “I look so fat here!” is a shockingly common theme; I guess people were as concerned with their weight (and as self-conscious about pictures of themselves) fifty and sixty years ago as they are today. I want to share some of these with you, not so much to laugh at (although they are funny) but to demonstrate how little our attitudes about ourselves have changed over the years.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: Some things never change...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:37 pm »
   Someone I know who did Eng at Oxford said there are common recurring themes throughout literature; an ubi sunt or nostalgic longing for a supposed bygone paradise; an atavistic notion that "our" generation will be the one that directly precedes the coming of the "end times"; the idea among the middle generation of the time that their youth are completely losing it; to name but three.
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player