Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:53:29 pm

Author Topic: What English Language actually is  (Read 18236 times)  Share 

bubsy

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: What English Language actually is
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 06:04:54 pm »
On the whole, there are very few resources for English Language. Much of the metalanguage employed within the course is not codified, so you may be hard pressed finding precise and accurate definitions for some of the stylistic features that you'll be studying. The British A levels textbook, Mastering Advanced English Language is a much better resource than all the other available textbooks, but unfortunately it's not tailored for the VCE course so there are a few disparities in terms of metalanguage and focus.

The wikipedia sociolinguistics portal is also relevant and useful.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:41:31 pm by bubsy »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 06:49:55 pm »
seems much more interesting than normal english... too bad MHS doesn't allow it... :-[

mumakai

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 03:28:47 pm »
seems much more interesting than normal english... too bad MHS doesn't allow it... :-[

i cannot believe that! of all schools i would have thought MHS would have been the number 1 to have english language

iNerd

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 03:30:51 pm »

i cannot believe that! of all schools i would have thought MHS would have been the number 1 to have english language
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure they're introducing it next year.

mumakai

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:38 am »

Im glad im doing 3/4 now then lol

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »

Quoting you on it only to clarify.

It may run. But is unlikely to. As it is an English subject they want a cohort of minimum 15, but are unlikely to run it even then as there was not enough research put into it. However a little birdie has told me that there was an advertisement for a new English/English Language teacher. They actually specified EngLang. This means they may introduce it for the class of 2013. Even if the subject can be done without 1/2, its highly competitive so Goodwin will try and persuade you not to do it.

However, and I cannot stress this enough, it will NOT be interchangeable for normal English for 2011 and only possibly for 2012, even then its doubtful.

Also - it is in the interest of other schools to not have MHS doing EngLang.

iNerd

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 05:10:35 pm »

Quoting you on it only to clarify.

It may run. But is unlikely to. As it is an English subject they want a cohort of minimum 15, but are unlikely to run it even then as there was not enough research put into it. However a little birdie has told me that there was an advertisement for a new English/English Language teacher. They actually specified EngLang. This means they may introduce it for the class of 2013. Even if the subject can be done without 1/2, its highly competitive so Goodwin will try and persuade you not to do it.

However, and I cannot stress this enough, it will NOT be interchangeable for normal English for 2011 and only possibly for 2012, even then its doubtful.

Also - it is in the interest of other schools to not have MHS doing EngLang.
My friend crossed out English Units 1 & 2 and replaced with EngLang 1 & 2 on his form; he hasn't been called in. I honestly don't know/care but LOL at your last statement :P

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »
He hasn't been called up because they haven't started that yet. It needed to be put on as one of the other 5.
Trust me, I know.

iNerd

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 05:22:25 pm »
He hasn't been called up because they haven't started that yet. It needed to be put on as one of the other 5.
Trust me, I know.
They've started calling in...mates were asked to drop further for spesh...mates were asked to drop methods for further..he was even called in because of some LOTE mix up [ he's doing latin 3/4 outside of school ] and Devlin didn't mention anything about him crossing out English. Transition week is in 3 weeks; by then all subjects/forms have to be confirmed - I'm pretty sure they would have started.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »
Oh sorry, didn't know they started yr 10. 11s still untouched. Well I've spoken to marotous, Goodwin, asensio and smythe so it's doubtful they are allowing it to be replaced. Maybe for yr10s.

You overestimate Sloan, I went on wed to make a change and very little had been done.

iNerd

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 05:29:39 pm »
Oh sorry, didn't know they started yr 10. 11s still untouched. Well I've spoken to marotous, Goodwin, asensio and smythe so it's doubtful they are allowing it to be replaced. Maybe for yr10s.

You overestimate Sloan, I went on wed to make a change and very little had been done.

O wells, my subjects are fine [ in signature ] ; just waiting on confirmation that I secured a VET: Allied Health spot.

iNerd

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 06:32:59 pm »
Why are you even on VN as a yr10?
No idea. It's helped me understand the mole concept :P....rofl had Mr Wright/Huysing and they didn't teach me anything.

iNerd

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 06:39:35 pm »
Huysing is a bit of a joke, lbh.

Where is the MHS complain about teachers thread anyway?
Screw that. Go to "ratemyteachers" >>> MsBasu >>> LOL for an hour.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 06:40:00 pm »
90% sure she isn't coming back.

iNerd

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 06:40:28 pm »
90% sure she isn't coming back.
Suffered through her all of Year 9. Lol this thread should be locked....off-topic much? :P