Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 01:51:10 pm

Author Topic: "Managed anorexia" (yes it's about that idiot on Twitter)  (Read 2382 times)  Share 

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
"Managed anorexia" (yes it's about that idiot on Twitter)
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:10:19 am »
Pretty much just petty internet "news" about a deluded, badly informed, misogynist rich guy.

So if anyone here has Twitter, this Kenneth Tong guy's been a 'trending topic' for a few days this week. Condensing it all, he's been advocating something he calls "managed anorexia" for women because he believes that they all should be "size zero". He was interviewed, and in that interview (see below) he was made aware that legal action could be taken out on him if his product killed/harmed anyone. He has now claimed it was all a hoax. Read his statement here.

The douche can be found: @MrKennethTong.

Celebrities tweeting against him include Rihanna, Simon Cowell, Lily Allen ... etc.

Here's an article explaining it a bit. It's a better summary than the above paragraph.
Women should "get thin or die trying," and you can "never start too young." It is better for a girl to "risk [her] life dieting than be sub-par by being a plus-size." Remember: "Hunger hurts but starving works." When an ultra-wealthy but forgotten former British reality show Big Brother contestant called Kenneth Tong started Tweeting these sentiments -- and worse -- a fortnight ago, a Twitter-storm broke. Everyone from Rihanna to Gordon Ramsay told their followers he was a dangerous fool, but Tong gathered tens of thousands of young girls who followed him. He became the most discussed subject on Twitter in the world for three days. His message? "The words lunch, breakfast, and dinner should now mean nothing to you, you have eaten enough for a lifetime. Stop. You are disgusting."

Johann Hari recently interviewed him and the transcript's here:
http://johannhari.com/2011/01/12/kenneth-tong-the-transcript-part-one

This is some of it.
Johann: Alright. Do you understand there are people who’ve done scientific studies of anorexics, not just looked at a few women in a club, right? There are people who’ve done studies. Your brain cannot function without nutrition. They can’t think properly. Do you understand that?

Kenneth: Yet again the statistic is just going to the extreme, as in-

Johann: No, no, no. We’re talking about anorexics. All anorexics. Their brains are beginning to break down, they’re not getting nutrition.

Kenneth: An anorexic for a day, or an anorexic for a lifetime?

Johann: You don’t understand what anorexia is. Anorexia is not skipping a meal. Anorexia is the psychiatric condition where you believe your body is different to the shape it is. And you starve yourself because you erroneously believe you’re overweight. Do you understand that? That’s what that word means, ok? When you talk about anorexia, that is what it is describing. Do you know that?

Kenneth: Can anyone ever snap out of anorexia? As you say it’s-

Johann: You’re telling them not to snap out of it. You’re telling them to do it.

Kenneth: Oh, it’s managed anorexia-

Johann: No, no, no. There is no such thing as managed anorexia. Every doctor in the world says there is no such as managed anorexia. Now. Are people going to listen to people who are doctors, who have treated hundreds and thousands of patients, have decades of qualifications; or you, who’s making stuff up on the spot. Who should they listen to?

Kenneth: I think that, with me, I produce results, so listen to me.

KENNETH ON HITLER

Johann: You said, it’s quite a compliment to be compared to Hitler. Why is that?

Kenneth: Um. To me, I think, I am affecting change and to me-

Johann: Why is it a compliment to be compared to Hitler?

Kenneth: ‘Cause he was effective and I think that-

Johann: How was he affective?

Kenneth: In that he, he, believed in something and he went for it. Likewise with me, at much personal detriment to myself.

Johann: Right. What Hitler believed in was the systematic extermination of Jews.

Kenneth: Whatever the cause may be, as in…whether it be managed anorexia, for example, he went for it, he believed in himself and he didn’t let anyone tell him otherwise. Obviously it ended in a disgrace for him but with me, I’m quite clever and careful with what I’m doing.

Johann: So. Sorry. You don’t, you admire anyone who pursues a cause even if that cause is systematic mass murder?

Kenneth: I don’t understand enough all about the World War Two. All I know about that guy is that he’s this historical figure, um…he…he set out with something to do and I guess he went for it. That’s all I admire him f-

Johann: Do you, do you think what he did was wrong?

Kenneth: What he did was not right. I don’t agree with…the…what he was after.

Johann: You don’t agree with the Holocaust?

Kenneth: Was Hitler right in what he did…is… is… Hitler right in what he’s doing? Absolutely not. And….Was he thinking straight? No. But he believed in something and he went for it. And that’s the only part I admire about him nothing else.

If you read the transcript, do you feel like punching the idiot? People like that exist, can you believe it?

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: "Managed anorexia" (yes it's about that idiot on Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:35:44 am »
    The signs weren't good when he went to Fettes, a school costing >24k (in £££) but didn't like it, because of the lack of plutocrats' sons.

Think I beat you to it, on the politics forum, but you provided beta lynx :)
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:41:55 pm »
It shows money doesn't always buy a proper brain.

----------

Oh you did too! This forum's become a giant box hedge maze I can't be bothered navigating ... or visiting as often ... or trimming.

bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles bubbles

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:46:26 am »
The guy's confession that it was all a plan to highlight societal flaws - or whatever - is the biggest load of crap I've heard. Although it did back up my initial reaction of the guy; he is the biggest RL troll ever.

Milkshake

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:39:01 pm »
Kenneth: If you do it for too long, anything is dangerous, dude. Like Vitamin C.

Johann: Anorexia is not like Vitamin C, Kenneth.

:S

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:07:42 am »

The audio transcript :P

http://johannhari.com//2011/01/15/kenneth-tong-the-full-audio-transcript
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:05:23 am »
     I know this is, blessedly, old news, but I was just poring over the transcript for the last time and found this:      ;D

Johann: Do you understand that? Einstein didn’t get rich by luck. Einstein figured something out really important.

Kenneth: Because the apple fell on the head fortunately.

Johann: No. That was Isaac Newton.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:14:10 am by MuggedByReality »
                                      -Anais Nin

jaccerz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »
you realise he is just a dick who was on Big Brother UK version in 2009 right?
goals
nat pol = 42+
international studies = 30+
Engrish = 30+
Legal studies = who cares