Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 11, 2024, 12:35:52 pm

Author Topic: "You may not have appropriate permissions..." - Win 7 Security Virus  (Read 14844 times)  Share 

jane1234

Re: "You may not have appropriate permissions..." HELP!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 10:38:21 pm »
Okay I'm downloading the Hitman Pro now... and rkill didn't detect anything (after scanning with malware for the 3rd time).
If I also download the Norton and scan with that, should it get rid of everything?

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »
if you still get redirected that is a sure sign you still have malware
try tdsskiller from kaspersky as well

yep so first uninstall crappy AVG, download NIS2011 trial version, do a full system scan and it should have a much better chance of picking up the malware you have

and after this if i was you i would still, just to be extra sure post your hijackthis log on the forum i said earlier (they take 3 days to reply to the first post and then they reply once a day after that) and they will make sure nothing suspicious is on your system
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:44:40 pm by TrueLight »
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

jane1234

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 10:44:00 pm »
Do I have to uninstall AVG to run Norton? Because after the trial expires I'll be left with nothing at all...

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »
And when the trial runs out, use Microsoft Security Essentials

(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)

jane1234

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 10:46:03 pm »

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 10:47:09 pm »
yes after norton trial expires (either buy it, for me its a good investment lol so much easier automatic updates and no need for seperate firewall....anyways lol) go download avast free, pfft mse lol yea thats okay too, much better then avg...but i think avast has better detection rate :p...

yes mse is free, also if you go down the free path (nothing wrong with that) download a good firewall, from watching videos and reviews etc...comodo firewall is the best (actually i think now they have comodo antivirus and firewall bundled together for free but the firewall is the best part of it) but i had comodo firewall for a while and even though its good, there was too much pop ups and complicated settings for my liking 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:49:13 pm by TrueLight »

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

jane1234

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 10:53:11 pm »
yes after norton trial expires (either buy it, for me its a good investment lol so much easier automatic updates and no need for seperate firewall....anyways lol) go download avast free, pfft mse lol yea thats okay too, much better then avg...but i think avast has better detection rate :p...

yes mse is free, also if you go down the free path (nothing wrong with that) download a good firewall, from watching videos and reviews etc...comodo firewall is the best (actually i think now they have comodo antivirus and firewall bundled together for free but the firewall is the best part of it) but i had comodo firewall for a while and even though its good, there was too much pop ups and complicated settings for my liking 

Hmm... I'm still not completely against AVG though... everyone in my family has been using it for years and we have never had problems until now...
Also, sorry to be so naive about computers, but what's the difference between a firewall and the antivirus system?

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 10:54:56 pm »
Anti-virus detects and deletes virus, etc
Firewall prevents external unauthorized users from accessing

(Hey, I remembered something from IT Apps!)

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:12 pm »
lol puhlease i watched this test where the guy was testing avg (in a crude way but still) and like the detection rate is so bad and it let some really nasty malware through, especially zero day threats...also you might not have any problems but there are some really sneaky malware that can hide undetected in your computer for ages without giving anything away, stealing info in the background....dangerous stuff

firewall proactively blocks malware from coming into your system, it actively monitors network traffic or malware intrusion events....the antivirus scans your computer looking for malware already in your system

"Firewalls Basics
Firewalls are programs that attempt to block threats and unwanted access to a network. A network protected by a firewall will have to pass data entering or leaving the network through the firewall, and if it does not meet the firewall's security standards, the message will be blocked. A firewall can be thought of as a screen or sieve that categorically strains out potentially harmful data.
Antivirus Basics
Antivirus programs are software packages designed to scan the registry and files on the computer itself for the activity of malicious programs, and then attempt to remove any threats it finds. Antivirus programs can actively search and destroy threats, and have virus definitions that can allow them to identify specific threats.
Comparison
Firewalls and antivirus software are important components of Internet safety. Firewalls are used to limit incoming transmissions to those that are least likely to contain bad data, while antivirus programs actually look at the effect that the incoming data has on the system. Firewalls cannot be used to remove threats if they happen to get past the firewall."
http://www.ehow.com/about_5108766_differences-between-firewall-antivirus.html

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060803132925AAG5v3e
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:59:50 pm by TrueLight »

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

jane1234

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 11:04:37 pm »
Okay thanks... yeah I think IT would've been a good subject choice :P I'm ashamed I fell for that stupid facebook spam things as well... :( Oh well, I'm a bit more cautious now...

I just completed the Hitman Pro scan... it found and deleted some stuff.
-Startup was a little faster
-I'm not getting redirected when I click on google sites

However, there are still little things.
-Some of my icons on my taskbar have turned into little screens.
-When I google, pressing ENTER doesn't do anything... I have to actually click "google search"

Does this mean the malware is still there, or are these little things a result of the damage already done by the virus?

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 11:12:53 pm »
well thats great news that your not getting redirected! [just on a major side note, have you ever had emails from like friends that have msn that are completely rubbish, just with some link and some weird heading, and your like why did my friend send me this crap? well...its actually a trojan on their computer that hijacks their email and sends out crap to all their friends listed there, so just delete those messages if you get them] ok back to the present...lol

did you do a complete scan with malwareantibytes or just a quick scan, if you did a quick scan do a full scan.

umm it might be possible it left some damage (i dont know how to repair), there is also a chance that there is still some remaining malware in some files or maybe registry files, you never know, you had this problem for a while so it could of injected lots of malware and stuffed alot of stuff up. try the tdss killer just to see if that trojan is on your comp, also make sure you uninstall avg and do what i said previously... post in that forum i said they seriously help you answer those questions and how to repair and what other programs you can run (theres a program called combofix that is like a last resort thing but it really clears everything up but its best to let those experts guide you with this program)...also for lateron or now...download ccleaner and clean out your temp files and theres this program that helps you keep protected from activex spyware its called spywareblaster which is compatible with antivirus or firewall software http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:18:57 pm by TrueLight »

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

jane1234

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 11:19:20 pm »
well thats good that your not getting redirected

did you do a complete scan with malwareantibytes or just a quick scan, if you did a quick scan do a full scan.

umm it might be possible it left some damage (i dont know how to repair), there is also a change that there is still some remaining malware in some files or maybe registry files, you never know, you had this problem for a while so it could of injected lots of malware and stuffed alot of stuff up. try the tdss killer just to see if that trojan is on your comp, also make sure you uninstall avg and do what i said previously... post in that forum i said they seriously help you answer those questions and how to repair and what other programs you can run (theres a program called combofix that is like a last resort thing but it really clears everything up but its best to let those experts guide you with this program)...also for lateron or now...download ccleaner and clean out your temp files and theres this program that helps you keep protected from activex spyware its called spywareblaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

I did a quick scan... probably should do a full one now :)
And I tried downloading the Norton trial, but it wants my credit card details... how do I download it without giving those details, especially because it's free??

Do you reckon I should leave it now (if the full scan doesn't detect anything) and wait to see if the problem comes up again? I really don't want to have 100 anti-malware programs installed on my computer...

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 11:22:57 pm »
Okay thanks... yeah I think IT would've been a good subject choice :P I'm ashamed I fell for that stupid facebook spam things as well... :( Oh well, I'm a bit more cautious now...

So all this came from that Facebook thing? Once I saw it was automatically spreading around, didn't click it, looked very sus
Same for a few other links on facebook, dodgy stuff

jane1234

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 11:24:37 pm »

So all this came from that Facebook thing? Once I saw it was automatically spreading around, didn't click it, looked very sus
Same for a few other links on facebook, dodgy stuff

Nah it's been going on longer than that... I just thought I should "remove the app" ... haha only I spammed everyone else's walls telling them to vote for Nicole Santos :S

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 11:24:53 pm »
yep definitely do a full scan

oh shit yea if you download it from their site
download it from here
http://download.cnet.com/Norton-Internet-Security-2011/3000-18510_4-10592551.html

haha na you won't have 100 programs...i reckon the programs to keep are
antimalwarebytes, hitmanpro, norton [or later free antivirus + firewall], spywareblaster, ccleaner

and make sure you keep your computer updated and any programs you use updated (especially adobe and java, notorious for being exploited) [good program to use if you want to see if any programs are out of date is secuniapsi]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:27:21 pm by TrueLight »

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler