Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 08:12:08 am

Author Topic: Oral Presentations  (Read 2606 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

Oral Presentations
« on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:18 am »
Do you have to them in EL?

What did you have to talk about?

ceekayx

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Oral Presentations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:44:24 pm »
Nope there isn't oral presentations, unlike English.
You will have a total of four sacs throughout the year, the first one is an ethnolect essay one, it might vary in your school.
second one might be a short answer or essay, about doublespeak, politness etc.
third sac is on spoken language you get a transcript and have short answer questions.
and forth sac is written language, you get some form of written text and short answer questions.

#1procrastinator

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:07:44 pm »
^ thanks

As long as there aren't any oral presentations, I'll be stress free haha

Vadermort

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: McKinnon Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:37:49 pm »
Don't take it as an easy subject. It scales up 1 for a reason, as opposed to english.
BEng (Honours) & BPharm Sci 2018

jackson1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • There will be no grenades tonight.
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:43:20 pm »
Don't take it as an easy subject. It scales up 1 for a reason, as opposed to english.

actually 2.
2010 : Business Management
2011 : Chemistry , English Language , Methods CAS , Economics, Further Maths

2012- 2017 Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) Honours Monash

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:23:06 pm »
HOLY CRAP. It does scale up by 2 (assuming you get over 30)! THAT'S AWESOME! I thought it was +1, ahahah. Thanks for making that clear, jackson.
45 -> 47, oh baby ;D

See here: http://www.vtac.edu.au/pdf/scaling_report.pdf

ReganM

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • What is being active?
  • Respect: +8
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:41:45 pm »
Haha, the lack of orals was one of the reasons why I chose Lang. :D
Graduated in 2011.

Bachelor of Science at Melbourne. Biological Science subjects.

#1procrastinator

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:37:16 pm »

Nah I'm not, it seems a lot more interesting than Literature or English, which I almost failed cause of attendance haha. I don't really care for the scaling, as long as I find the subject somewhat enjoyable

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:18:50 pm »

Nah I'm not, it seems a lot more interesting than Literature or English, which I almost failed cause of attendance haha. I don't really care for the scaling, as long as I find the subject somewhat enjoyable
In my opinion, if you have a somewhat 'philosophical' reasoning when it comes to writing, you will find English Language a terribly boring subject.

schnappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 10:26:33 pm »
The questions put to you in EL are a lot more predictable. I prefer EL and chose to do it in year 12 because the answers to the questions posed to you, in short answer or essay form are:
-More intuitive; you need to do do reading to know your metalanguage to articulate your responses adequately, but often you can answer exam questions before starting the subject. Things like what's the effect of doing this, why does speaker X in the transcript say this, what's the function of the text etc. Similar to what Hutchoo said - EL is a lot more blatant and often they're asking you to state the obvious with some nice big words. After all, the jargon excludes non-EL students and better conveys the intended semantics of the student/ ;)

-Half way scientific. The infamous 'bullshit' that goes into writing essays gets critiqued properly in year 12, which for people like me makes it hard because you need to be able identify themes and that sort of thing that are applicable to an essay topic... really know texts inside out. In EL it's more about having recent examples from media, tagging them with things like 'euphemism' - then all you have to do in an essay is identify what topics you can discuss, relate them back to the topic question and bam you get marks.

-Less daunting exam. It's more predictable and IMHO, easier to study for. AFAIK studying for English involves writing essay after essay, in EL I get away with just reading over suggested responses to get an idea of what things to expect. There is a finite amount of things that can come up in transcripts and written texts!

-No oral! I liked this as well :)

Hope that helps. If your school is nice enough to do article collecting for you, this subject - if it suits you - can be relatively easy.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:29:02 pm by schnappy »

#1procrastinator

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »
^ Thank you

One thing I hate about English is it never felt like I was learning English

(the bloody hell, I thought this was English? I'm sorry, I thought this was English (not philosophy!)