Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:07:35 am

Author Topic: Question about the GAMSAT  (Read 1304 times)  Share 

nubs

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +97
Question about the GAMSAT
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:07:44 am »
I just had a couple of questions
For the GAMSAT, will all the study topics be covered by the subjects you choose in your course? Or will you have to go out and learn them independently? Like if I were to do Biomed, will the compulsory subjects in that course provide all the information I would need to tackle the GAMSAT? Or would I have to learn some extra stuff on my own?

If I choose to go into Science instead of Biomed, but ultimately I do want do seek out a career that's related to the health sciences, would I be at any sort of disadvantage if I had completed a Science degree instead of one in Biomedicine provided that I took the correct subjects (Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology)?
ATAR: 99.15

BSc @ UoM
2012-2014

ex oh ex oh

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: Question about the GAMSAT
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:37:25 am »
Depends on the course. Biomed provides probably 90% of what you need to know.

As for a "career" in the health sciences, it depends on what career you want. Will probably make little difference though

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
Re: Question about the GAMSAT
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:19:29 pm »
Biomed is like a more 'focused' version of science, and tries to prepare students for careers in health sciences, and GAMSAT too. For example, you have to do a unit of physics in first year, which will be useful for GAMSAT. However, overall, I personally don't think you will be at a disadvantage coming out with a science degree. The majors in both degrees are pretty much the same--and like I said before, biomed is more focused whereas science gives more freedom.
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]